Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Starlight Glimmer is OP

toonami97

It wasnt mention in show for the most part accept for the time loop thing and FS cameo. 

No episodes mention any past events anyway unless it's a part of the plot somehow.. they have no reason to otherwise :P

That doesn't determine if it's canon or not.. Celestia and Luna didn't mention in the show how they got their Cutie marks.. and they probably wont..

But that doesn't mean they didn't.. and all (or a least most) official MLP books would follow canon.. or explain some past events that wouldn't be good

to have an episode about.. like the events that are explained in The journal of the two sisters..

No episodes mention any past events anyway unless it's a part of the plot somehow.. they have no reason to otherwise :P

That doesn't determine if it's canon or not.. Celestia and Luna didn't mention in the show how they got their Cutie marks.. and they probably wont..

But that doesn't mean they didn't.. and all (or a least most) official MLP books would follow canon.. or explain some past events that wouldn't be good

to have an episode about.. like the events that are explained in The journal of the two sisters..

But it did happen in show. If for example TS had her full life explained in a book then explained in the show differently the show would take precedence. 

Edited by toonami97

But it did happen in show.

Their coordination? Why they were chosen? Who raised the sun and moon before them?

What occurred from that? The formation of the Castle of the two sisters? Why it was made

to have all these tricks and trap doors and things? What Princess Platinum was like?

When and where the Zebra's were discovered? Celestia's fierce nature when she's angry?

I don't think they mentioned.. well.. any of that in the show :P

Edited by AURAequine

Their coordination? Why they were chosen? Who raised the sun and moon before them?

What occurred from that? The formation of the Castle of the two sisters? Why it was made

to have all these tricks and trap doors and things? What Princess Platinum was like?

When and where the Zebra's were discovered? Celestia's fierce nature when she's angry?

I don't think they mentioned.. Well.. any of that in the show :P

non mentioned anywere but would  be canon if mentioned in show.

non mentioned anywere but would  be canon if mentioned in show.

*sigh* ... This is seemingly pointless..

If the unexplained in the show can be easily explained by another official source it is indeed canon..

It doesn't have to be mentioned, just proven.. That's all I'm saying, take it or leave it..

But i had enough arguing in this thread..

*sigh* ... This is seemingly pointless..

If the unexplained in the show can be easily explained by another official source it is indeed canon..

It doesn't have to be mentioned, just proven.. That's all I'm saying, take it or leave it..

But i had enough arguing in this thread..

wouldnt say so books and movies arent usually accepted.

its not that she didn't go to Celestia's school... seeing as i'm a musician i'll put it in terms most will understand:

some of the most talented guitarists i have ever seen are home body's I.E. never leaving their room and practicing 7-10 hours a day, if you want to be (better then) or like Steve Vai at the age of 9 you watch his vids, copy, then take that style and make your own. improving what is there seeing openings to add your own flare then to get better you take that outside your room and join a band or many.

and plus there is always someone stronger, faster and or better then you just like in real life and with that back story at her very young age( and i see Starlight as 5-10 years older then twi)  i can see she has far more drive to out preform get good and crush anyone that didn't fit her world. i stand by starlight's ideals.

Edited by Jora

But for some reason she is nerfed maybe for a more suspenseful plot or because her friends aren't present...who knows there is a lot of things that could be reasons for Twily's helplessness compared to Starlight Glimmer.

Yeah, like the fact Twilight was trying to keep her from stopping the sonic rainboom from ever happening. Seriously, this episode isn't meant to be a gauge between her and Starlight. Everything she did resulted in Rainbow Dash being unable to do it. That doesn't make Twilight weaker. Give her a different time and place, and as hard as it'd be, she'd most likely kick Starlight's ass.

Yeah, like the fact Twilight was trying to keep her from stopping the sonic rainboom from ever happening. Seriously, this episode isn't meant to be a gauge between her and Starlight. Everything she did resulted in Rainbow Dash being unable to do it. That doesn't make Twilight weaker. Give her a different time and place, and as hard as it'd be, she'd most likely kick Starlight's ass.

But didn't twilight say they were equal.

Shes a unicorn that can match twilight sparkle a alicorn whose element is magic twilight said she cant beat her. There coul be more complains.

In retrospect, this thread probably belongs more in Show Discussion as we're three pages in and we've, unsurprisingly, pretty much exclusively discussed the season finale. So, it has been relocated to Show Discussion.

Yes, thats what I was getting at. She was too focused on having Rainbow finish the race she was not focusing on Starlight. Equals or not, without her attention Starlight can get the upper hoof.

I would say Starlight Glimmer is OP. Being able to use advanced spells like flying, take away cutie marks, and using time spell used to go back a week to longer periods of time sounds a little OP. It's also pretty insane that Starlight was able to be on par with Twilight, even as an alicorn. 

• Brohoof 1

If one calls Starlight OP, one needs to be ready to call Twilight OP, and understand that fact to be true.

The only real thing about Starlight that we can call OP is her so-far unexplained ability to remove cutie marks. Everything else she's displayed (self-levitation, finishing Starswirl's spell, lazers, etc) is just a direct result of her inclination towards magic, and a lot of studying. A prodigy in magic like Twilight, yes, but seeing as it makes sense for her to be that way, being Twilight's antithesis and all, it can't really be called OP. Overpowered denotes a feeling of it not being fair, but frankly anything less powerful than Starlight can't even give Twilight a run for her money anymore, so it's not overpowered.

When everyone is overpowered, no one is. Look at DBZ every anime ever.

And as a side note, I actually love the fact that Twilight couldn't beat her through magic, and had to reason with her. Made for a much more interesting plot than the obvious alternatives. There's always a bigger fish, even when you're the Princess of Friendchips.

'But CD whai wuld she be acorn level as just a horn horse?'

Starswirl's Great Granddaughter, obvi.

• Brohoof 2

I would say Starlight Glimmer is OP. Being able to use advanced spells like flying, take away cutie marks, and using time spell used to go back a week to longer periods of time sounds a little OP. It's also pretty insane that Starlight was able to be on par with Twilight, even as an alicorn. 

it seemed ,ore levitation than true flight though for longer and more developed then TS did or shown. 

If one calls Starlight OP, one needs to be ready to call Twilight OP, and understand that fact to be true.

The only real thing about Starlight that we can call OP is her so-far unexplained ability to remove cutie marks. Everything else she's displayed (self-levitation, finishing Starswirl's spell, lazers, etc) is just a direct result of her inclination towards magic, and a lot of studying. A prodigy in magic like Twilight, yes, but seeing as it makes sense for her to be that way, being Twilight's antithesis and all, it can't really be called OP. Overpowered denotes a feeling of it not being fair, but frankly anything less powerful than Starlight can't even give Twilight a run for her money anymore, so it's not overpowered.

When everyone is overpowered, no one is. Look at DBZ every anime ever.

And as a side note, I actually love the fact that Twilight couldn't beat her through magic, and had to reason with her. Made for a much more interesting plot than the obvious alternatives. There's always a bigger fish, even when you're the Princess of Friendchips.

'But CD whai wuld she be acorn level as just a horn horse?'

Starswirl's Great Granddaughter, obvi.

thought thats the thing a unicorn=alicorn and it seems TS been worf more often or hit with the idot ball but that cause she was shown more often.

Twilight couldn't beat her because beating her involves stopping her without preventing Fluttershy from being bullied and Rainbow Dash going through the race to do a sonic rainboom. Starlight is just skilled enough that this couldn't be done, there would always be some sort of collateral that interferes before defeating Starlight.

and using time spell used to go back a week to longer periods of time sounds a little OP

She was specifically using the map to boost the spell's power. 

I would definitely expect Starlight to be nerfed going forward, especially if she does become a recurring character. Between her and Twilight, they'd probably end up "breaking" the show by no longer being faced with any dilemmas that they cannot overcome with magic. 

She'll definitely be nerfed when it's most convenient. 

• Brohoof 1

Magic is vast as it can be written to do a lot of things. Starlight Glimmer is powerful because she was in a position where all of Twilight's capabilities couldn't change the outcome.

I don't consider Twilight to be all powerful as her OP moments comes from using magical artifacts.

Edited by Singe

About the only thing that can legitimately be called OP in this show is Rainbow Power / The Elements of Harmony. When the mane 6 use that power it overcomes all foes. Then too I guess there is the Power of Love like in Canterlot Wedding, that was pretty OP as well.

Like someone already mentioned, everyone in this world is OP to one level or another.....and when everyone is OP, no one is.

I wish people would stop making the excuse that Twilight is the element of Magic so she shouldn't be able to be beaten at magic. Twilight's "talent" is magic, in the sense of magical spells like lasers and telekinesis. Her element of magic refers to the "Magic" of friendship. The two are not the same thing.     

About the only thing that can legitimately be called OP in this show is Rainbow Power / The Elements of Harmony. When the mane 6 use that power it overcomes all foes. Then too I guess there is the Power of Love like in Canterlot Wedding, that was pretty OP as well.

Like someone already mentioned, everyone in this world is OP to one level or another.....and when everyone is OP, no one is.

I wish people would stop making the excuse that Twilight is the element of Magic so she shouldn't be able to be beaten at magic. Twilight's "talent" is magic, in the sense of magical spells like lasers and telekinesis. Her element of magic refers to the "Magic" of friendship. The two are not the same thing.     

dont think most characters are op.

*Is able to manipulate a spell far beyond it's original purpose

*Is able to go toe to toe with the magical princess protege

*Is able to constantly outwit (purportedly) smartest character on the show

*Is able to screw over Equestria harder than any other villain in the show

Yeah if she ain't OP, then nobody is. 

• Brohoof 1

Compared to all other ponies, yes. She is still far behind Celestia, Luna and Discord but she def has potential. I would say combat she is tied with Twilight. This is alicorn Twilight too who didn't have to expend magic to fly. So if Starlight gains wings then I'm prepared to say she will beat Twilight in a one-on-one fight. But if Twilight trains in combat then it could go either way. It all depends on willpower really. 

Starlight with time travel is OP but now that she doesn't have it anymore not so OP especially compared to Discord who can snap his fingers and change anything he wants.

she has other potential powers.