Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Amazon Prime Air A Bad Idea?

Sporemane

If you don't know what Amazon Prime Air is. It's basically a drone service for delivering packages. Here are my thoughts on this drone delivery service.

I believe that it's completely impractical, and I have several criticisms, why I don't think this idea will take off.

The first is weather it's not always going to sunshine, and rainbows. If their are high winds, or a heavy downpour, relying on a toy to fly your nick knacks to your door. Dose not sound very effective.

My second criticism is cost. Maintaining a fleet of drones sounds expensive. You have to recharge them, repair them, and clean them. All of this would add up, making using a drone service more expensive, than just having some one deliver your package to your house.

My third problem with this idea, is people. I don't trust people not to screw with these drones. Wether they shoot at them with a gun, or jam the guidance system, and cause them to crash. Some people are already willing to shine lasers into the cockpits of Jet Planes. There's no telling what some idiot would do to a drone.

Any way that's my rant why drones delivering your package, is a terrible idea. What do you think? Is drone delivery the way of the future, or is it a pointless gimmick.

• Brohoof 2

I would ask Amazon to do more testing with this drone on all forms of weather no matter the cost. I think it's a good idea, but it also has bad ideas that I think needs more improvement. I think they should stay with they're normal shipping service but also use this service to make shipping less of a bigger process. I'll make a list of my issues down below.

How many governments are going to reject this?

What if the drone crashes or accidentally drops my product, what is amazon going to do about it?

What will amazon do if my product is damaged, due to the flight or the handling of the drone?

Are they still going to use the same shipping if my product is very fragile?

• Brohoof 2

Using drones is impractical for the many reasons already mentioned. Plus, I'm not fond of the idea of drones flying over head as a way of life. It's a little too reminiscent of a movie called "They Live" to me. Since drones are a relatively new technology, there is a lot of room for abuse as it's introduced into society. I'm one of those people that wants to avoid the inevitable as long as possible.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
(edited)

It better be pretty regulated and have a fail safe so something heavy doesn’t drop and kill a small child.

That or you can rely on good ole, proven, reliable MD10s to continue to do the work for cargo air :bedeyes:. Screw those tiny buzzards.

ecf14e8a9c2714837b2092332aa78731.jpg

Edited by WWolf