Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How can they forgive Starlight Glimmer?

Bendy

Does Starlight Glimmer deserve forgiveness?  

56 users have voted

1. 1. Does Starlight Glimmer deserve forgiveness?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Should she be executed, exiled or get a slap on the wrist?

• Exiled.
    • Executed.
    • A slap on the wrist.

How can they forgive Starlight Glimmer after all she's done? ? It's insane! She's created several apocalyptic times lines during The Cutie Remark, one of which seems to be a lifeless ash wasteland. All that awful things over losing a single friend? 

Does Starlight Glimmer deserve forgiveness? Should she be executed or exiled? All she got was a slap on the wrist for doing all that.

How it would play out in a more realistic setting.

Starlight Glimmer: I'm sorry. Can you forgive me for all I've done?

Princess Twilight Sparkle: Nope. What you did was unforgivable. If you don't go into exile, I'm putting you under a guillotine.

The End (cue end credits music)

Edited by Bendy

She did some bad stuff, but she did ultimately fix what she'd done, of her own volition. Her freudian excuse might have been a little thin, but in the end, she was conditioned with a bad world view. She needed understanding and guidance, more than punishment. So I think the resolution of the episode was fine. And once the time lines were fixed, in what sense could she be held culpable? Those timelines literally no longer exist, so no pony from any of them could press charges. Nice editorial slant in your poll options, by the way...  >_>

• Brohoof 6

Execution is definitely out but exile seems like it wouldn't be as bad. While she kinda did get off easy, it's hard for me to make a unbiased judgement of her. It's thr typical tragic backstory that motivates the villain to do what they do. If in the future she shows signs of going back to her old ways, then more actions should be taken against her. For now she's under control and should be given a small chance to redeem herself. (Like literally everyone else). But this is just my opinion :)

While I think the ending of the finale was good enough for the show, I do think that Starlight does not deserve immediate forgiveness. Considering what she did in the premiere and pretty much trying to destroy an entire timeline, that to me doesn't say 'oops, my bad'. 

I do hope that in season 6, we see some hardcore guilt from her, because she deserves at least that much. 

• Brohoof 3

The reason she wasn't executed is that only Twilight has a license to kill, and she choose to try redeeming her instead, so everyone else has to swallow it up. A foolish decision, maybe, but it wouldn't be the first one Twilight makes.

Since this is MLP they wouldn't punish her and since it's MLP messing up time does nothing. But if you asked me she did a worst crime than Discord or Tirek.

Edited by cider float

In the end no harm was really done and everything was set right, so why not...? Plus, that isnt in the spirit of the show and wouldnt be a good mark on the princess of friendship to condemn starlight after making her see the fault of her actions.

Also, it doesnt make sense to show how itd work in a "realistic" setting. For the ponies that isnt realistic. Their society isnt like ours, somewhat similar, but still much different. Thats not how it would work in equestria. The worst punishment is banishment.

• Brohoof 5

While that would seem like a more realitic scenario; MLP tries to aim for a more idealistic setting and I don't see why the ending, as such, goes against that. The concept of friendship in the show seeks to break down barriers that are causing characters to act in ways that are harmful and, afterwards, make them feel and believe they are part of a beneficial community.

Not entirely realistic, but MLP isn't entirely about that in the first place.

• Brohoof 3

I would say Twilight Sparkle felt responsible for driving Starlight Glimmer to the edge by taking away what she worked on in the premiere, despite it being bad for others.

• Brohoof 2

Intent is important to me, and while Starlight Glimmer caused alternate apocalyptic timelines, she never intended for that to happen, she just wanted to punish Twilight for ruining her "utopia", by taking away the special treatment destiny gave the Mane Six with the whole Sonic Rainboom Connection. 

• Brohoof 4

In Equestria, they've always valued reforming more than punishing. If you've shown remorse and are willing to change, then they'll be willing to give it to you.

Sombra, Tirek, Chrysalis, they were still hostile hence why they got blown up, imprisoned, and blown out of Equestria. Starlight had stood down, which would make those kinds of actions unnecessary.

Her crimes basically consist of brainwashing a village, which as we saw, she was forgiven for by the villagers, and her attempts at breaking apart the mane six with the bad timelines just being unwanted consequences she didn't believe should've happened, which ultimately never happened with the regular timeline being restored.

Plus, why not have another strong ally? Despite being misguided with her morals, she was trying to spread friendship in her own way when it came to her village. Teaching her how actual friendship should be like can only help to spread the friendship.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

Starlight flat-out confessed that she had no excuse and would accept whatever they gave her, so it was easier for me to swallow, IMO.

I just hope they can figure out how to develop her without overshadowing Sunset.

• Brohoof 2

Starlight flat-out confessed that she had no excuse and would accept whatever they gave her, so it was easier for me to swallow, IMO.

I just hope they can figure out how to develop her without overshadowing Sunset.

That's easy, Sunset Shimmer will continue to not ever be mentioned in the show, just like every other EQG element, and we'll probably see less and less of Equestria-Twilight in EQG movies.

That's easy, Sunset Shimmer will continue to not ever be mentioned in the show, just like every other EQG element, and we'll probably see less and less of Equestria-Twilight in EQG movies.

I'm let down, Sunset Shimmer seems more genuine than Glimmer. And she even looks cooler anyways. 

Starlight Glimmer was clearly forgiven way way way to easily.

Apparently torturing ponies by actually brainwashing them (them mane 6 and the characters introduced in the Cutie Map), forcefully removing their cutie marks and their inner most parts of the mane 6's beings, assimilating them into your doctrine, actively trying to ruin somebody's life, royally screwing over time and space leading to the world being royally screwed up, and preventing Spike from being born (as if Twilight never got the energy from the sonic rainboom she wouldn't have hatched spike) are all just minor mistakes now.

Yeah it will take a lot and I mean A LOT for me to actually forgive Starlight Glimmer.

So far I have to say that Sunset Shimmer's redemption was better.

In Rainbow Rocks she actually had to deal with consequences to her actions, as the entire school hated her and the high 5 weren't 100 percent BFF's with her.  Sunset actually had to work for redemption and acceptance by her peers.

So unless Starlight also has to go through quite a lot, her redemption just doesn't thrill me at all.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

I would expect Twilight found it rather easy to forgive her, when you look at both the story of Sunset and Moondancer.

Sunset was hell bent on taking over Equestria and took control of her human army in order to do so. But once Twilight reduced her to nothing, took away her power, we saw the power-crazy Sunset break and crumble. Twilight clearly thought there was some good left in her, and did everything to let that good shine. Sure the redemption was incredibly rushed, but the fact still remains, that Twilight forgave her and we can see the rewards of doing that in RR and Friendship Games.

Moondancer is effectively a version of Starlight. Moondance believed Twilight to be one of her best friends, but then suddenly Twilight was gone, taken away from her. We saw what a few years after that event led to in Moondancer's episode; and plus Moondancer was a lot older than Starlight when it happened. Starlight was just a filly when it happened to her and all that pain was able to build up through years and years of her life. Twilight would have seen many of the same traits in Starlight that she did Moondancer. This would lead to more forgiveness than beforehand.

• Brohoof 1

First of all: She didn't cause the apocalyptic timelines on purpose. She didn't believe any friendship could be that important. She wanted to punish Twilight and her friends, make them suffer, but not destroy all of Equestria. She also gave in and let things go back to normal at the end, meaning those timelines were fixed. So nopony was actually hurt by them anyway.

Her "Brainwashing" and stealing ponies cutie marks seems to have been done with "Good intentions", in that she honestly believed the world would be a better place like that. Nopony would be hurt anymore. Nopony would be left behind and abandoned by a friend because of a cutie mark. They would all be equal, they would all be happy and stay together, forever. Nopony else would have to feel like she did ever again.

Sure, that doesn't make it right. Her methods were still pretty terrible. But people seem to be ignoring her intentions. She didn't mean for all of Equestria to be ruined, she thought on some level she was helping ponies by taking their marks away. Doesn't make it okay, of course not. But people act like she just wanted everypony to suffer, which she clearly didn't.

Should maybe the mane six have made her work for that forgiveness a bit more? Yeah, maybe. But executing or exiling her? No, I don't think Starlight deserves that. I think turning an enemy into a friend through compassion is the best victory you can have anyways.

• Brohoof 7

I'm hoping she gets a deeper, expanded redemption like Sunset Shimmer in Equestria Girls 2, Discord in "Twilight's Kingdom", and Luna in "Luna Eclipsed" and "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sleep".

I also hope it takes several episodes, thanks to 4 episodes of villainy as supposed to 2.

Twilight's way is better. Starlight Glimmer is quite obviously an extremely powerful unicorn, and it's far better for Twilight to mentor Starlight, guide her towards being good and teach her about friendship than to kill or banish her. Killing her would be an overreaction and would be overly harsh; banishing her from Equestria would only encourage her to continue on her path to darkness. Whereas the decision Twilight chose means that a unicorn who has tremendous magical talent is brought to the good side and could be a valuable allie in the future.

• Brohoof 3

Well the fact of the matter is a true friend doesn't care what you've done no matter how bad it is. And that's just what kind of pony Twilight and her friends are. They're supposed to represent what it means to have true friends. Friends who will never judge you nor forsake you no matter what.

if you think she shouldn't be forgiven, then clearly you have not gotten the entire point of my little pony, where friendship and love and forgiveness conquers all. Rewatch the episodes and learn forgiveness in your heart man - everyone has something bad happen to them to become bad, and everyone deserves forgiveness, because in the end, we are all in this together.

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

Remember this is a show meant for a very young audience. How would you feel, as a 9 year old, seeing how the bad guy gets killed after saying sorry and even repairing what he did? She didn't deserve immediate forgiveness, but it was the best possible outcome for that episode

I mean, you can't expect realism in this situation, since the show creators always want to stress the importance of friendship and forgiveness. 

But hey, Twilight did say that Starlight was more talented in magic than any pony she had seen- so maybe she's plotting on using her as an assistant for her evil plan of conquering Equestria... 

• Brohoof 1

Well, as a Christian, practitioners of my faith are taught to forgive one another whether they deserve it or not, and that seems to be a theme in this show as well. Besides, it's easy to forget that Starlight never intended to cause any kind of apocalyptic timeline. It was just some kind of petty revenge plot with the intention of making the mane six go through what she has had to go through. There were just some unintended consequences of her actions, and she couldn't possibly have known that the Mane Six are Equestria's Avengers, without whom multiple villains wouldn't have been defeated. Sure, she did a bad thing, but she is genuinely sorry about it, and her experience with friendship is clearly more limited. I think she was taken aback when the mane six readily forgave her. Also, Twilight already forgave Sunset Shimmer, who actually intended to change the future of Equestria, so why would Starlight Glimmer's case be any different?

• Brohoof 1

What I took away from the episode was that, in a way, Twilight had to forgive Starlight, because she couldn't prevent her from winning by force---she tried.  She tried being clever, powerful, and creative, but really, she couldn't use fighting as a solution without corrupting the timeline; persuasion was her only real option for ending the crisis.  And persuasion required forgiveness in this case; anything else would've been hypocritical.

And as other posters have said, Starlight didn't really know she was doing as much damage to the timeline as she was, so maybe it's more forgivable than you'd think for all the damage we saw.

• Brohoof 2