Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Opinions on the Land Before Time movies?

SteveMorison

The Land Before Time was probably one of my favourite movie series as a kid and I loved it even in to my early teenage years. However now looking back on the series except for the first and possibly the 7th film I don't really reckon they hold up very well. Only Daddy Threehorn really has a solid personality and honestly that's because he was a dick. The villains that weren't Sharpteeth were usually funny but not anything we haven't seen before. What do you guys think, am I being way too hard on a childhood classic?

• Brohoof 2

The original is probably my favorite Don Bluth movie, together with Secret o NIMH. The second one and third are also still good, but after, i think they more and more dropped the ball.

• Brohoof 2

I havent watched that many, but i like The Land before time  :fluttershy:

I loved the first 3-4 Movies...at least i think ive watched the first four.  :ooh:

I dont quite remember anymore, because its already like years ago since i watched them.

I can't distinctly remember which ones are which but when i was very little, probably about age 3 or 4 one of the movies taught me about death when little foot's mother died, i didn't cry or anything but i learned right then and there that life is precious and doesn't go on forever.

I think I still have the first five on vcr somewhere, sadly though I've been hearing word that the series jumped the shark instead of calling it. I was a big fan of the series when I was a kid, yep, yep, yep! Ducky and Little Foot were my favorites.

I think it's fair to think that way, Dash. We saw things differently as children than we do now and some of those things aren't quite how we remember them.

I remember when The Land Before Time first came out.  The late 80s were an interesting era for full length animated features.  TLBT went head to head with Disney's Oliver and Company.  They both came out in time for Christmas 1988.  It's hard to believe these movies are now 27 years old.  :o But after a drought of high quality animated movies (apologies to Transformers, the Chipmunk Adventure, and other TV cartoons that tried to be a movie) all of a sudden Disney and their competitors started churning out compelling movies again.  

Anywho, I enjoyed the original movie which had many of the same themes as 1994's Lion King (the circle of life, the death of a parent and striving to live on without them, and so on).  It had some good feels and it also fed on the popularity of dinosaurs in general at the time.  I only watched one of the direct to VHS sequels, the one where they try to adopt a baby "chomper" and teach him to be a vegetarian.  It was entertaining but didn't have the emotional impact of the original. 

They were my childhood, and I love them. The last one I saw was... *googles* The 9th one.

They're probably on number sixty by now, lol.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...