Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning RolePlay Mentoring

Eloquence

I'm well aware that all mentor positions are filled at the moment, but I'd still like to submit my name regardless. You know, just to make myself available and as a sort of backburner mentor to keep in mind. That is all!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I got a friend who does DMing on Skype or something and I thought I should get in on it. The only problem is that I have literally no idea what to do and how to do it. I would appreciate it if somebody could help. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@P-Jay,

Ha I've been barking up that tree for...(insert age of this thread), they won't add more people unless you like personally know like the EQE staff, that's how all the current mentors are here, (from what I can tell) I've seen no one from Everfree. Raises eye brow in suspicion. :huh: 

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy

@@P-Jay,

Ha I've been barking up that tree for...(insert age of this thread), they won't add more people unless you like personally know like the EQE staff personally, that's how all the current mentors are here, I've seen no one from Everfree. Raises eye brow in suspicion. :huh: 

waiting buddies. XD also, sup, im P-Jay. although we cant really greet eachother any further because #NotAboutTopic

also, you're right, that is suspicious....but whatever. :catface: 

• Brohoof 1

@@P-Jay, @@Mentis Soliloquy,

Apologies that I could not address your concerns more quickly, I have actually been without internet for the last two weeks and therefore haven't been around to update the OP/keep tabs on the thread/etc. Fortunately my team has been hard at work in my absence, but given that their work is not as visible I can see how it may appear that the thread is stagnating.

Starting with whether we need more mentors, I do my best to keep the team stocked with enough mentors to keep up with demand. For a while, there was hardly any demand at all, but it does seem to be picking up now. I will have to watch to see if this trend continues.

Moving into the selection process for mentors. I'll start by explaining that the mentor team has been around way longer than this thread. It actually goes back far enough to predate me being on staff by a wide margin. For a long time, it was just a sort of RP support squad, helping out with this and that odd job and occasionally mentoring people who held cast characters in the Equestrian Empire section. This thread arose when I took the reigns on the little team, reorganized it, and set up the thread, with plenty of help from other RP staff and my teammates. People who were on the mentor team with me had priority on getting to be on this team for obvious reasons, and that's where Magos and Skycoaster came from. I included Taialin, knowing that he would be a capable and hard-working teammate, as he proved himself to be. From there, I haven't had enough change in the rotation to need to open mentor applications, as with openings in the four-person team there have been extenuating circumstances that led to someone else being "in line" for the open slot, nor have I seen enough activity to warrant a fifth mentor.

As for there being no one from the Everfree section, well, Magos is from the Everfree section, and Randi may be technically an EqE sectional but he's more active as a roleplayer in EvE, so I suppose that's all there is to say on that portion.

I hope that all of this has made things more clear for both of you and for anyone else reading this thread :)

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya ^^

So... I've never RPed before, and I would like to ask:

How should I start? I already have a OC for YouTube, should I create a new one for RPs or what?

I have been interested in RPs for a while now I would love to get some help. Thanks!

• Brohoof 3

Hiya ^^

So... I've never RPed before, and I would like to ask:

How should I start? I already have a OC for YouTube, should I create a new one for RPs or what?

I have been interested in RPs for a while now I would love to get some help. Thanks!

I myself would be thrilled and honored to teach you about roleplaying, my friend! I shall be sending you a PM shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I can certanly hold my own in a common RP, and I fancy myself as fairly respectfull as a player, but I know the RPing cealing goes higher, and I would love to know if I picked up any bad habits, if nothing more than for some peace of mind.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a mentor with a tier-1 cast character. Since I want to apply for a character of the tier-1 cast, I want to learn the experience and how to efficiently be and apply for one.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

Once upon a time (Gosh has it really been 5 years now? Geese I feel old...) I would rp a little on a different mlp forum. I'm just in need of little help getting back into the swing of things and a bit of advice on how to join rps. Since then I've developed pretty bad social anxiety though, and it's hard to get myself out there, heck, posting this is one of the hardest things I've done in a while. Feel free to treat me like a complete newbie though, i've lost a lot of luster.

• Brohoof 3

Hello again! I know I was on here once and I recieved help from the wonderful Taialin, he helped me get eased into the art of roleplaying. But I now am wondering how to do group roleplays, as I have an idea for one.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*brushes dust off the thread, wipes hooves on own shirt*

Well, I suppose we should really get back to this, eh?

Alright, I suppose we're open once more for RP help!

Anyone out there kinda lost when it comes to this 'roleplaying' business, or maybe they just wanna get a few pointers, or even if you're old school and wanting to up your game... simply post here, and give us an idea of what you're wanting from this.

We shall do our best to help get you going!

• 3 weeks later...

i love playing D&D with my friends and i have really enjoyed the escapism that role playing has to offer.. but we almost never get the chance to play and when we do eventually find time to do a game it is usually pretty half arsed.. it goes without saying i have only a basic idea of what to do during a role play :/ id like to up my knowledge and experience but i don't want to ruin someone's proper role play with my incompetence.. so..
55940527.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I suppose it is only warranted that I put something a bit more into this request than just wild flailing and yelps of "HOW DO I HOW?!!?" To say I have no background in RolePlay is a bit of a misnomer. I've been equally complimented & insulted for my knee-jerk RP tendencies before on the MMORPG Warcraft. I do happen to like creating & acting out a characters, as evidenced by my ever-growing list of OCs, with many more I've yet to work out in my notebooks I keep around here & my penchant for flowery prose.(Yes, I am doing this to be both pretentious & a blatant plea for attention!) While I have some modicum of confidence in my capabilities in such endeavors, I have some reservations.

Firstly, it does seem a bit intimidating. With as many "types" of roleplaying it seems there would be alot of structure for what seems to me as pretty much just pretending to be someone else for a while. It is, after all, communication and if there's anything I do that I have absolutely no trust in doing is socialization. I fear I fuddle up conversations bad enough in real life that adding more structure to it so that people take turns and have to go into side conversations about being "Out of Character" would only provide me more avenues to muddle things. If this does indeed have rules, then I need to make a point of understanding them to do as such, but the flip side of that same structure I seek intimidates me. Bit O' ah gamble, ya see?

Also, not leastly is that I seem to have a habit of... making my characters a bit...obtuse.

There's my Big Three as my OCs go that I care about. And each sort of comes with their own sort of... Caveat Emptors.

Gallimaufry being what they is sort of needs to be encountered as I may have over-designed them to near D&D Monster Manual levels. I do have an idea of such though as I attempted over in my Ask Thread I made for them. Though no one has responded yet to it, I can see juggling something so massive to be a bit unweidly, though I wouldn't have had the idea if I hadn't the idea.

Then we come to my namesake: Widdershins. The whole... point to him is that he wouldn't adhere to any rules you would apply in the first place. Since I see him as a Fourth-Wall breaker & rather...Shticky, an Out Of Character wouldn't apply to him and I giggle to myself everytime I hear mention of the phrase "Godmodding" since that basically is what he is. He's got power, yes, but he isn't power-ful, I've tried to make sure of that. While he's likely the easiest to fit into any situation I wouldn't feel right shoving him into anyone else's project unless they can outwit, bridle & hogtie him down. Probably literally.

Well, written literally. Metaphorically Probably Literally. In a round-a-bout, hypothetical, metaphysical sort of way...

Of the three, Ambie is probably who I would want to do my first roleplay with. Since he is my ponysona & pretty much me. What would be easier & safer then playing me as a first go? That, and he's the most "normal" of them. Trouble is that he's shy, so he'd have to be literally pulled into any situation & I don't really have too much of an idea of where he is now for you to come get him or what have you.

All in all, been wanting some way to exercise & perhaps find an outlet for my creativity so I was hoping I could see what RP is all about. I appreciate any and all help you can offer! Send your finest wits, my dear challengers!!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

hello, was referred to thread by mentis soliloquy I have OC's down, and would be an author of fanfics if I didn't freeze up and RAM dump my train of thought... :lol:  :blush:  :derp:  any who, need help getting the hang of RP Etiquette and cadence.(i.e.) rhythm and flow.