Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning RolePlay Mentoring

Eloquence

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this type of roleplaying and this whole site in general. I want to jump right in, but I'm afraid I'll make a lot of noob mistakes. I guess "I want to roleplay but I have no idea what I'm doing" sums it up.

• Brohoof 2

Hi. I have no experience with online RP, so this will be interesting. I don't really know where to start. Does it function like Dungeons and Dragons, or more like a conversation In Character.

Also, a question about magic. My OC is a Unicorn so he has access to spells. His talent is not magic so he can't use spells the same way HRH Twilight can but he does use magic often. How do DMs handle this? Do I declare a certain number of spells beforehand and then stick to those or what? Limit on how powerful they can be? (my OC's talent is Maths/Engineering but I obviously can't use a 'multiply monster by zero' spell)

thanks! Σ

• Brohoof 1

Well.......

I have played in two RP:s(both died) so I think I know how RP:s work, but my problem is....I don't find RP to join and I don't make one because I don't know what kind of RP to do nor know anything about "leading" or planning RP.

And I can always use general tips about Role playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I've just submitted an OC application for the Equestrian Empire RP, and I was wondering if anybody could give me any feedback on it?

https://mlpforums.com/page/eqw-characters/_/unapproved/ivan-durakovich-ponihuiplet-r387

There is the link to character sheet as it stands at the moment, and, honestly, any feedback would be appreciated, as this is still very much a work in progress.

Kind Regards,

Marxy

P.S. I should probably think of a better name and am entirely open to suggestions in that regard.

Edited by Marxyhooves

I can't belive I'm asking for help, (my pride hurts) especially that I offered my services as a mentor, but I need some help getting into the Equestrian side of role-play here, help?

Edited by Emerald Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

Not really asking about how to RP, but how do you get people to join your RP? My recent RP has only gotten two peole interested and one application in progress. Add in the fact that I've committed near 10K words into the whole damn thing, the inactivity is just making me very tense.

• Brohoof 2

Hey all, sorry for the late replies!

@@crispy fries, The best thing to start with is a simple Slice of Life style roleplay. That way you can get used to how to interact with others without having to worry too much about your individual actions. Just be sure to give other members plenty of ways to interact with your character. I'd also suggest you don't start making your own RP first. Rather join someone else's. On that note, let the Dungeon Master and other players know that you're new. People around this site tend to be pretty friendly, and are happy to help you out!

@@SigmaBrony, Not all unicorns use their magic the same way. If you so choose, your OC doesn't have to use magic at all. If you decide you want to there's two ways to go about it. The first is to declare your spells in your character's sheet. The second way is to describe them ahead of time in the OOC for the roleplay you're in. Many people change their characters based on what RP their in, and tailoring them to each RP helps them to seem that they fit in the world just a bit better.

@@The Cerberus, If you feel like starting your own roleplay, we have loads of resources to help you start! First, the Free Roleplay Ideas thread is where you can 'borrow' ideas for starting your own RP. We also have a Starter Roleplay Guide, which covers creating an OC, writing an OOC thread, and finally managing an RP as a DM. Keep in mind that you can inquire in any 'Open' RP or 'Searching' RP to see if they'll take you!

@@Marxyhooves, It seems as though you're well on your way to having your character approved for Equestrian Empire. Anything specific you still needed help with? If not I may be able to ask one of my Roleplay staff buddies to review your character again.

@, It seems that there's quite a few questions about Equestrian Empire. I'm thinking my sister Fair Dice may be able to help out by making a thread for EQE...

@, 10k words may very well be your problem. People have very short attention spans. Trimming down your OOC, adding information as needed may be exactly what your RP needs. You've clearly put in a lot of work, and that's commendable, but keeping some information back may pique other RPer's interests a bit more.

• Brohoof 3

You missed two important threads right next to this one:

Roleplay rules

Roleplaying guide

Basically, the steps would be:

1. Create an OOC thread describing the RP you would like to launch.

2. Wait until an expected number of players signs up for the RP. (This is the hardest part.)

3. Create an IC thread in the appropriate forum category (Everfree Empire Roleplays).

4. Paste link to the OOC thread in the IC thread and vice versa.

5. Play to your heart's content.

If some of the above terms are unclear, do give the aforementioned topics a read; they should explain everything.

Have fun!

Disclaimer:

I am not an approved mentor nor do I represent Poniverse staff in any aspect. I do remember asking whether an open discussion of the help-seeking sort would not benefit the forums and meeting with a negative answer (as in, "no", so there's no innuendo assumed). I do still believe that existence of an open-for-browsing, readily-available thread containing some answers would be beneficial for many and that it provides a way for getting a reply faster -- and judging by the post twice above by the mascot himself, I'm not alone in it. If I overstepped any boundaries, however, I do apologize and hereby subject myself to any and all punishment deemed appropriate.

Edited by Hederik

how do you make a new roleplay?

@Hederik is correct, though if you'd like any further help I would be happy to assign you to a roleplay mentor who can give you a more thorough description of the process :)

Well, I feel like I'm okay-ish at role-playing, but a few pointers wouldn't hurt.

I always think that my descriptive writing isn't all that good and could be a lot better.

I find myself losing interest and getting stuck whenever I leave an rp for a bit and I just end up never contributing. At that, it's hard to find an original idea for an rp without inspiration. How would you suggest I find the aforementioned "inspiration"?

• Brohoof 2

I'm completely new to role-playing here on the forums and would love a helping hand.

I have an idea for a new role-play but I don't know how I would fulfill it.

I need to know everything honestly, aha

• Brohoof 1

I've role played before, but on all I dropped out because I could manage. And one just happened to be my own... I am not new to roleplaying, but I'm not that great at it. I guess I could use some help.

• Brohoof 1

I've never done a Play by Post RP before, and am very new to MLP.  Been working on an OC but I am getting the impression it wouldn't work in such a venue.  Would hate to be the wrong puzzle piece.  Would it be possible to talk to someone to help with the changes with the current OC, and give me a rundown of how you organize the venue so I am not stepping on anyone's toes?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Hypn suggested I sign up here and look for help improving my portraying Twilight. I love the character and would like to improve. And hey, if I learn anything new while I'm at it that's a bonus too.

I've been doing RP since 2k so I know pretty much all the what to do/not to do things and am pretty experienced, but more improvement couldn't hurt. I take criticism.

• Brohoof 2

Hello there, everyone! I've been on this site for about a year by now but I never tried to RP in the RP section of it. I'm not new to roleplay, I've been doing it for a few years, but I really can't understand how it works here! Can anyone give me a hoof, please?

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I've made characters,  but believe I could use more help before I eventually try for any canon...  would someone please mentor me? 

Edited by Novaburst
  • Brohoof 2