Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Season 5?

EQ_Theta

So I am late coming into this but I need some time to finish the finale before posting this but what do you guys think about Season 5 as a whole? The writing, the music, the overall quality of this season?

I'd say this wasn't too bad of a season, a few episodes a little difficult to stomach but it still had some gems. 

• Brohoof 1

Overall good slice of life, but a huge letdown from S4.

The arc and Starlight glimmer as a villain are a real step down from S4's plot and villains, with the Plunder vines, discord and then Tirek making up a really intimidating set of threats, with the box Subplot being a really interesting thing, yeah? I mean, you know there's something big in it, there's a real point and need for the mane six to do something due to its 6 keylocks, ect.

This season though? Starlight glimmer is really weaksauce as a villain and just possesses plot armor akin to Broly, is shilled basically as "The best unicorn EVAR" to make her seem a threat despite just being a pony, and the meta-arc of her stalking twilight is really weak compared to last season.

Not to say that the Premier and finale were bad, but it seems like a real step back compared to S4. Plus the map seems pretty bland and just exists to be a WOW quest giver.

Add on that the other 5 sans twilight were basically just Cameos in the finale and it is, by far, the biggest twilight sparkle power hour yet with absolutely zero input from anyone else to save the day, and I find this season to be going in a direction that I really do not like at all, with a premise (Starlight glimmer being the new mane seventh so we can look forward to S6 being about shilling her rather than anything else, with it being probable that the other five having focus or importance being at an all time low) that I do not enjoy.

• Brohoof 2

It was totally radical.

However, season 4 is still my favorite. I dunno, this season had a lot of feels, it feels. I feel it feels as if it has too much feels. :P

I do like the variety of new ponies though. That is a definite plus for me.

I think season 5 was brilliant. The songs were good as usual, the character development was solid and the plots were very interesting.My favourite episode was The Crusaders Of The Lost Mark though.

I never compare seasons though since every season was unique and different.

• Brohoof 1

First half had alot of decently good episodes that were really fun, second half had only a few good ones, but my god they were amazing. Hands down my fave season so far

It was a crazy season, that's for sure. I think it had some of the best and some of the worst episodes of the series and while it wasn't better then season 4 or 2, i would put it in the middle above season 1 and 3.

I look back at it with fondness, but i also think it's probably a bit overrated. Not as overrated as season 1, but still.

Pretty epic season! The only mistake was Starlight Glimmer being reformed. I mean, SHE WAS MORE FREAKING POWERFUL THAN OUR PRINCESS FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE! This may be my opinion, but that made her one hell of a villain and a perfect match for Twilicorn. It really upsets me she didn't stay a villain. But other than that, pretty great season. I liked the new characters. My faves of this season, though, are Marble Pie and Rara.  :D

• Brohoof 1

My ranking of the episodes:

Awesome episodes:

1: The Cutie Map

2: The Cutie Remark

3: Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

4: Crusaders of the Lost Mark

5: Make New Friends but Keep Discord

Good episodes:

6: The Lost Treasure of Griffinstone

7: Amending Fences

8: The Mane Attraction

9: The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows

10: Castle Sweet Castle

11: Brotherhooves Social

OK episodes:

12: Canterlot Boutique

13: Made in Manehattan

14: Scare Master

"Meh" episodes

15: The Hooffields and the McColts

16: Rarity Investigates

17: Hearthbreakers

18: What About Discord?

Bad episodes:

19: Bloom and Gloom

20: Princess Spike

21: Appleoosa's Most Wanted

22: Party Pooped

The two worst episodes in the entire show...

23: Slice of Life

24: Tanks for the Memories

I loved it! I think the only only issue I had with it was that it seemed to have fewer memorable songs than other seasons (in my personal opinion), but I still loved it! I think 4 stands out as being my favorite season still, but 5 was definitely a contender!

So-so. The finale was great, but it felt rather rushed. Some of the episodes were hit-or-miss and didn't had much anticipation, especially with Princess Spike being a rehashed version of Owl's Well That Ends Well. Let's see if Season 6 (and hopefully the final one) delivers more than it promises from the last season.