How open about being a brony are you?

Ed Lyons

Are you open about being a brony?  

131 users have voted

1. 1. Do your friends know?

• Yes
    • No
    • Do they need to know?
  2. 2. Do you talk about it around people?

• Yes
    • No
    • I will if I want to. It's just a show!
  3. 3. Would you wear MLP clothing around people?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's wrong what that?

I'm not the type of person to yell my interests from the housetops. It's not that I'm ashamed of MLP in the least, I just don't make it my aim to be an ambassador of bronidom. If I so happen to mention it in conversation or if someone asks me about it, that's one thing. But intentionally going out of my way to show that I'm a Brony? No, that's not my style, haha. :)

My whole family knows that I'm a brony, and they're all pretty chill with it (surprisingly). I even got my little sister to watch a couple episodes, but she calmly stated that it just wasn't for her. My brother ribs me about it occasionally but I don't really care, and my older sister... honestly, I think she forgot. My dad's like "eh", and my mom's actually pretty interested in it, despite her not having seen any of it yet.

I'm not super open about it with those outside my family though. I don't have a ton of people I would consider "friends", and I'm cool with keeping it to myself.

For those of you out there with actual friends, being open isn't a bad thing. If they really are your friends, your watching a TV show shouldn't be a relationship-ender. As long as you don't make a huge deal about it (spamming on websites, talking about it all the time, or wearing tons of pony merch), they should be fine with it.

I'm pretty open about it with a rainbow dash coin purse I put under my mirror like you would dice for a car, and when ever it get cold or im chillin with a T on and forgot my hoody I have these rainbow dash sock I converted into arm warmers.

converting meaning I couldn't wear them on my feet without tearing them. so I cut the feet off and boom! arm warmers

...so pretty open about it, guess I'm a fanboy :P 

I'm not with anyone in general. I've mentioned it to my parents and in-laws. My in-laws were fine with it, my parents think I need my head examined (they've thought that for 30 years though). My wife even knows I'm on this forum and is cool with it. I can't imagine it being brought up in, say, a party of adults.

"Young man, how is that stock portfolio of yours? Are you diversified and getting adequate dividends?"

"Yeah, my stocks are rising faster than Rainbow Dash doing her sonic rainboom."

Or in the middle of an Italian guidos poker game talking about the NFL.

"By the way, did I ever tell you guys that my avatar online is the prettiest unicorn there is?" :grin2:

I might tell one of my best friends who's mentioned his daughter watches the show too, but I was kind of scared to mention it to him.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

I don't go around screaming "Look at me, i like pastel coloured, talking, magical ponies!" from the roof-tops. However, if someone finds out about me liking MLP, most* of the time they live to regret it, within the hour infact :P

*most is actually me saying EVERYONE WHO KNOWS OF IT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't keep being a brony hidden. I see no reason to. I wear pony shirts sometimes, although only bronies are likely to recognize them anyway. I talk about the show every now and then, but I don't mention it just for the sake of doing it.

"Do your friends know?

Yes, they don't have any problem but I talk about it a lot more with my brony friends than my non-brony friends, as with them we talk about politics, video games, media and others.

"Do you talk about it around people?"

Only if the conversation might have to do or directly has to do with the show, if i'm talking to some random person, they would see me as the average person but if the conversation might have to do with cartoons or something else related to that might have to do with MLP, I might mention it and say I like it and you should try it.

"Would you wear MLP clothing around people?"

I have done it a few times in school and I would do it again but only if I feel unusually good that day, but i'm gonna go ahead and say no as my typical clothing is just a black shirt and blue jeans and my red jacket, I don't do it because it makes me feel weird, I really don't like people judging me, though when i'm not in public I love to wear MLP shirts but that does kinda defeat the purpose.

My friends all know about it, along with everyone else who saw my presentation about myself for English class, an no one really seems to care. I don't usually talk about it, because no one else I know is a brony and they wouldn't know what I'm talking about anyway. :unsure:

I'm pretty close to a closet brony. My friends know I watch the show, they just don't know exactly how much I like it (I tend to purposefully downplay that, describing the show as "okay" rather than the "GREAT" that I really feel). That said, my immediate family knows...... well, most of them anyway. My mom and younger sister know, but my dad doesn't and for now I plan to keep it that way since he's full on Japanese and in Japan the traditional gender rolls are pretty strong.

For now I plan to keep things this way, since my friends don't seem to be that positive when it comes to brony's. Let's just say that most of them don't like brony's, so if they find out I am that'll be an interesting conversation.

I don't go out of my way to tell people.  If it somehow comes into conversation, I might talk a little bit about it like it's anything else to talk about.  My friends and family know that I like the show so I have nothing to hide.

I don't go around wearing t-shirts or anything.  I have some plushies of the ponies and usually when someone I don't really talk to is going to come over I'll put those away somewhere they can't see them because it is kinda awkward talking about it.

Whether you asked for it or not, it's story-time!

Ooh goodie, I love stories (I'm nosy like that.) And that one in particular sounded if not like my experience then the sort of thing I would do / sort of am doing.

Anyway, on to my story. I became interested in the magical friendship ponies fairly gradually, but I usually put downloading 'pegadrome' as the deciding moment (apparently that was Tuesday 24th February 2015 at 8.04am, according to the file data.) Since then I have kept it secret from most people, including my parents, other than those I met through it (a brony group I meet occasionally.) Mostly because it's my nature to keep things quiet that don't need to be known, although I'd be lying if I said that I didn't actively try and keep it secret (yes that does suggest I have issues with my parents, but I knew that already.)

As to whether I would ever 'go public' about it... it's an interesting point that I am fine introducing myself to new people as weird and eccentric (other such 'weird and eccentric' hobbies include warhammer 40k, role-playing games, old animated Disney films and of course the magical friendship ponies) but I am less inclined to mention new such hobbies to people I already know. The result is that I will probably mention it, if relevant, in the next social circle I join (i.e. work, whenever the job I've been offered finally materialises) but not to anyone I know already. It's not like they would be that surprised, but I just don't feel like it.

I do have a number of plushies, and a fairly obvious t-shirt (to those that have even a passing knowledge of it, anyway - Rainbow Dash's cutie mark) but the plushies stay in my bed and the t-shirt is worn either when nobody is about (such as right now) or under a jumper (such as now... it being winter, and all that) or more usually when I'm out walking / running.

• Brohoof 1

Not very. I don't usually wear obvious Mlp stuff like earrings, shirts, necklaces, etc unless I'm on any kind of con. And if I do wear a shirt, I make sure it's a stylish one, like detailed fanart made to pimp a shirt up and not one with a quote from the show, a pony and a plain background color; to be specific.

Anyway, I usually browse MLP forums pretty openly. Other than that, well, not unless I find another fan of the show

I don't usually talk about it in public. In the five years I've been a brony, I can count the number of friends that know I'm a brony on two hands.

Edited by skbl17

• 4 years later...

I do not keep it as a secret, but in most cases don't bring up this topic. Also, at some places, like at work, I do not want to talk about it, because there are rude people who would try to mob me.

I don't go around telling random people, but if someone were to bring it up, I wouldn't deny it. Besides, most people who know me well know that I'm a fan and I think that's good enough. If they don't like it, that's all on them.

I’m open about it to an extent. I wear pony merch and express my love of ponies that way rather than telling people upfront. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt