Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hey there everypony! I've started to write my very first story. It's not just my first take on the Conversion Bureau, not just my first attempt at fanfiction, but truly my first stab at serious creative writing. Like many, the premise of Blaze's Conversion Bureau absolutely enthralled me. That said, I was a bit shocked at how heavily misanthropic the tale was. It broke both the Mane Six's otherwise caring dispositions and focused so thoroughly on how evil we are capable of being while not mentioning any of the genuine good humanity has done.

Like a bucket of ice water to the face, it occurred to me that some bronies may love Equestria so much because they are ashamed of their own world! While I respect their view I believe it's a decidedly unhealthy attitude and frankly not true. Isn't the brony movement itself proof that we are capable of just as much genuine care for our neighbor as the equine characters we love? THAT'S where my story comes from! Taking the Conversion Bureau and using it as a geo-political metaphor for the brony movement. That is, the ultimate victory of rational idealism over moral nihilism! B)

My tale will have themes such as trans-humanism, the meaning of individuality and freedom, the value of history (even the ugly parts), religious doubt; all told through a personal journey of romance, war, magic, and betrayal. High concept to rival an Epic Poem? Hell yeah! Can I pull it off? Not a Windigo's chance on the surface of the sun! But that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it the college try. This story HAS to come out!

As such . . .

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up_5mh0w7_c

While it IS a self-insert, I did that as more a "write what you know" step then wish-fulfillment. I couldn't keep a fresh character truly consistent and stuff happens to me in my story I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy! (Well . . . not entirely true but still, I wouldn't want to be there!) I'm placing myself under "Cauldron Lake rules" as I've dubbed them.

1) I'm just as much subject to the laws of narrative casualty as anypony else.

2) If something happens. Somepony or something did it! e.g. There are NO accidents.

3) Don't break the conventions of the genre unless the genre itself has changed.

Still, as much as I am the protagonist, the story is meant to be my love letter to the Brony community that I've fallen in love with! My story is one where the brony movement is very real and very powerful! Indeed, it's what's changing the World! Which means, somewhere, in my story YOU are there. Share to me your stories of being a brony, your ponysona's and their accomplishments, your creations here, deviantart, and elsewhere! Share to me your stories to enrich this creation with the life I want to give it!

I'm sorry for the length, :blush:

Steelquill

Posted Image

Edited by Steelquill

Still, as much as I am the protagonist, the story is meant to be my love letter to the Brony community that I've fallen in love with! My story is one where the brony movement is very real and very powerful! Indeed, it's what's changing the World! Which means, somewhere, in my story YOU are there. Share to me your stories of being a brony, your ponysona's and their accomplishments, your creations here, deviantart, and elsewhere! Share to me your stories to enrich this creation with the life I want to give it!

I'm sorry for the length, :blush:

Steelquill

Posted Image

Hmmm... Details, huh? I became a Brony from watching the series with my niece. I suffer from a mild form of autism and have a speech impediment (I stutter like you wouldn't believe... more so when stressed or under pressure.) The faults are outweightd by my ability thou. I fix computers in a shop every weekend while supervising the student employees and during the week work on a farm. I also been employed by a non-profit fan fiction writing team that usually does video game works for 6 years, but open to new ideas. I make music and every day prove that disability does not mean unable. My Ponysona is Starbolt, a namechange from Starburst who is used in one of my writings (Name was taken) and ultimately am glad when someone says it's impossible for me to do something. I Love a challenge ^_^. If you need more to work with or any pointers, let me know

Hmmm... Details, huh? I became a Brony from watching the series with my niece. I suffer from a mild form of autism and have a speech impediment (I stutter like you wouldn't believe... more so when stressed or under pressure.) The faults are outweightd by my ability thou. I fix computers in a shop every weekend while supervising the student employees and during the week work on a farm. I also been employed by a non-profit fan fiction writing team that usually does video game works for 6 years, but open to new ideas. I make music and every day prove that disability does not mean unable. My Ponysona is Starbolt, a namechange from Starburst who is used in one of my writings (Name was taken) and ultimately am glad when someone says it's impossible for me to do something. I Love a challenge ^_^. If you need more to work with or any pointers, let me know

Wow! First post and I'm already touched! SEE! THIS is the basis of my story! I will gladly look to you for both inspiration and advice. Thank you so much!
  • Brohoof 1

Wow! First post and I'm already touched! SEE! THIS is the basis of my story! I will gladly look to you for both inspiration and advice. Thank you so much!

I would be honored.

• Brohoof 1