Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fandom q+a Ward Jenkins Q&A

Simon

Just a reminder that Ward Jenkins will be unable to answer questions about specifics of what will happen in future seasons.  Please respect the limitations on Ward's ability to give spoilers and refrain from asking questions he will be unable to answer.  Thanks!

• Brohoof 9

1 is this how i ask questions 2. if so, ward what do you think the future of mlp will hold?

1. Yes!

2. The future of MLP will hold more adventure, more fun, more hijinks, more drama, more laughter, more friendship, more magic! That pretty much covers it all! ;)

Obligatory question since this is your first Q&A sort of event with the fandom:  Who is best pony?

:D

Ha! Oh, I KNEW this would come up! haha - well, I really don't know how to answer that one since all of the Mane 6 have certain qualities that appeal to me in different ways. But if I had to pick one, I might pick Twilight - but only because I tend to pick the leader of a group. For instance, my favorite of the Powerpuff Girls was Blossom, mainly because she seemed to be the leader. I dunno what that says about me. :)

• Brohoof 16

Welcome, Ward!

For my question, was it an honor to work for Lauren Faust, assuming you worked with her before?

Well, Lauren doesn't really work on the show anymore, listed only as "developed for television by..." and was the initial creator & producer. So, I did not have a chance to work with her, nor had I worked with her before. Would love to, though! Some day. 

• Brohoof 4

Afternoon, Mr. Jenkins, and to reiterate what Simon said, welcome to our lovely forums and thank you for taking the time to chat with us!

Got a serious and a silly question for ya.

Having heard some animators before (namely, Batman: The Animated Series directors, writers, and producers on commentary for certain episodes) discuss storyboard artists, I'm just curious about where storyboarding fits into the episode-making process and what kind of an influence it can have on the final product of an episode?

On a sillier note, who is your best pony (and why is it Derpy  :muffins:)?

Thanks for the welcome! I'm happy to be here! :)

Great question. I've always felt that storyboarding is the unsung hero to animation - whether it be for TV or feature, broadcast or tv shows, etc. MLP was my first experience working on a TV show, so the overall experience was fascinating for me to witness, as compared to what I did in broadcast and commercials. Being an animation director for a few animation production companies, I did all my boards, and would revise myself. I then would pass on any animation to others after that. For MLP, there was a lot of work done up-front, like character designs, audio, etc. before I would get assigned the episode. Seeing how the show was done, there's a great amount of feedback between directors and storyboard supervisors with the storyboard artists themselves. The directors and supervisors know the show inside and out. There are about 6 board artists who've been working on the show for a long time and several others who're relatively new (like me). The directors and supervisors were great in making sure us newbies got the overall look and feel and tone of the show just right. The board artists help set the look of the episode from the start - it is through the boards where the story is given its first look, if you think about it. All that exists of the episode is the script and the audio - the board artist goes from there and figures out how to "edit" and "cut" for dialog, action sequences, etc. It's pretty invigorating, but also a lot of fun. 

• Brohoof 11

Afternoon, Mr. Jenkins, and to reiterate what Simon said, welcome to our lovely forums and thank you for taking the time to chat with us!

Got a serious and a silly question for ya.

Having heard some animators before (namely, Batman: The Animated Series directors, writers, and producers on commentary for certain episodes) discuss storyboard artists, I'm just curious about where storyboarding fits into the episode-making process and what kind of an influence it can have on the final product of an episode?

On a sillier note, who is your best pony (and why is it Derpy  :muffins:)?

Oh, and I forgot, see previous comment for best pony! (Sorry, Derpy! - but I do like ya!)

• Brohoof 3

Just a reminder that Ward Jenkins will be unable to answer questions about specifics of what will happen in future seasons.  Please respect the limitations on Ward's ability to give spoilers and refrain from asking questions he will be unable to answer.  Thanks!

And don't forget to make a donation to MCM while you wait for an answer!  Check out MCM here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/142299-making-christmas-merrier-iv-bc-childrens-hospital-charity/

• Brohoof 6

Hello there Mr. Jenkins! It's fantastic to have you with us! I hope you're having a happy holiday season? :twi:

So, if I might ask, what is your background as a storyboard illustrator? Has it been your passion for a long time? What were some of the ups & downs of getting into this line of work?

I can't believe the holiday season is here! I haven't gotten our tree yet, so it's still just fall for me. ;) 

My degree is in illustration, so that was the first thing I got into - but as I was finishing up my degree, I really wanted to go into animation. So, really animation was my main interest  - I was an animator first (hand-drawn, with pencils on paper), then was able to do some storyboarding at my first job, enabling me to start directing soon after that, for my next job. Working at smaller studios in Atlanta, I was able to be sort of a jack-of-all-trades, by animating, boarding, inking, digital ink-and-paint, composting, directing - you name it. Once Flash animation started to get popular, I refused to learn it, even though I tried. Just wasn't my thing. I wished I had, though because after a while, when all the studios were letting go of their 2d departments in favor of CGI and 3d animation, I probably would've had more opportunities working. It's been at times. The late 2000's with the recession REALLY did a lot of us animators in. That's when I was let go from LAIKA in Portland, OR, and then started illustrating children's books. Worked out okay for me, I guess!

Hello Mr. Jenkins, fabulous to meet you darling.  I have a couple of questions for you today.

Who's been your favorite pony to draw?

What are some of your favorite cartoon, past and present, and are Alvin and the Chipmunks on that list?

Who's your favorite artist?

What's your favorite book?

My favorite pony to draw (and storyboard) would have to be Pinkie Pie. You can do so much with her on her expressions! We try to really push her faces and expressions and poses as much as we can. She's a lot of fun! 

I remember Alvin - the old school, 60s cartoon, but it wasn't really my favorite. (Sorry!) I loved Looney Tunes and still do! I make my kids watch those cartoons because they're just classic. I love Tex Avery and Disney stuff - Freddie Moore, Ward Kimball, etc. The list is long, but right now, I might have to cut it short for the Q&A! Next time!

Favorite artist! Oh man. I have SO MANY influences that it's really so hard to list them all. For a number of reasons, I have various artists who I love and am influenced by: Jean Michel Basquiat, Robert Rauschenberg, Marcel Duchamp on the art side. Charley Harper, Aurelius Battaglia, JP Miller, Jim Flora on the illustration side, and see above for animation. See? SO MANY! 

Favorite book: I really enjoyed reading the LOTR series several years ago and I might have to re-read them again because of the great, lush environments that Tolkien evokes in his writing. Love getting lost in his work.

• Brohoof 10

Hello Mr Jenkins,

I don't have a question, all I wanted to say was, it is an honer that you have chosen to spend time on this wonderful forum, and talk so openly with some of the worlds biggest MLP FIM fans. I for one will not forget it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of buzz about this Q&A for some weeks to come.

It has been a pleasure meeting you and reading your reply's, thank you very much :kindness:  :kindness:  :kindness: 

• Brohoof 7

Have we given you carpal tunnel yet?

;)

Since you worked on Pony remotely, I assume you need to use a drawing tablet of sorts (in fact digital production is probably standard regardless on location of the boarding crew). I'm curious as to what model and brand you use. Cinteq or something else?

• Brohoof 4

Welcome!

I'm curious as to what you feel is more challenging when plotting out a storyline from script to board - kinetic movement heavy scenes, or shots heavily focused on facial reactions? 

Well, the script has already been written by the time I receive it - so, really, I don't have too much to say in the story arc of each episode. For each episode, there are two storyboard artists, and the work is divided up evenly - sometimes right down the middle, sometimes dispersed based on the story. Depends. But when we do get the script, there could be some issues that arise that we could mention to the director or just might be exorcised completely for time purposes. 

I do enjoy the biggie sequences - a great challenge but also a great rewarding experience if it's done well! The song sequences can be a challenge as well, so that means a lot more thought put into them because you have to set the right tone. And timing. Songs have to be timed out right or else they won't feel right. 

I love interactions with the characters - that's like an actor getting a nice scene to put all his/her heart into it and going all out. When there's a dramatic scene, I like the challenge of that as well. 

• Brohoof 7