Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Intelligence Quotient: What are your thoughts on it?

Odyssey

Intelligence quotient, better known as IQ, is designed to score your overall intelligence, but most primarily your academic one. It also has been the subject of many controversies. Some people believe that it does affect your future, while others find the concept nonsensical. Or perhaps other people don't believe in the IQ scoring, but rather something similar to it like the Nine Types of Intelligence.

With all of that said, what is your overall opinion on this concept? Do you think it's a bunch of nonsense, or is it real? Do you think it matters to your future education or not? I'd love to hear your opinions!

• Brohoof 2

I think it can determine your potential rather than future, from an academic point of view.

There are many factors which determine how successful you become, and while intelligence is a major factor, it's not the only one. Liking a subject, determination towards learning it, or even determination towards learning in general could also play a significant role.

In the end, even if you're capable of understanding Quantum mechanics, it doesn't necessarily means you automatically are pursuing this area of study or even understanding it.

I think it's more of an assessment of crude , unpolished potential. Though IQ tests are not entirely accurate, and can depend on the state of the tested, so it's worth to take in other qualities too.

• Brohoof 2

It is very difficult to measure accurately and should not be used as the ultimate measure of a persons worth. There are many different ways to be intelligent and there are many different things people are better at than others. If an IQ test had a lot of math questions for example it would probably lower my score but if it had a lot of critical thinking and reading comprehension questions than it would probably increase my score. It all depends on what is being tested, how much of it and other factors.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it really should be taken too seriously. Not sure though, I've scored a relatively high IQ but everyone has the ability to study or learn anything they want. Some have more difficulty doing so then others, therefore I feel an IQ should not control it. We should all value our talents, whatever they may be some are good at learning and others may be good at drawing. I find it no less admirable, but they are valuated very differently. So I don't really have a high opinion on it as I have doubts about its reliability and don't think we should be calculating peoples ability to learn. We should rather encourage them to go for it. 

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

First of all, love your signature. Pokémon B/W is fantastic.

Anyways, i think IQ tests might be a bit...unbalanced? Or perhaps its just poorly named, as it isn't really a measure of intelligence so much as it is a measure of rather specific areas of study.

-Seven different types of intelligence – trumps the classic IQ test-

The originator of the theory of multiple intelligences, Howard Gardner,  a  professor  of  education  at  Harvard  University,  defines intelligence as the potential ability to process a certain sort of information.  The  different  types  of  intelligence  are  for  the  most  part independent of one another, and no type is more important than the other.In  all,  Gardner  identifies  seven  different  types  of intelligence. These can be summarised as follows:

1. Verbal = linguistic, e.g. lexical skills, formal speech, verbal debate, creative writing.

2.  Body = kinesthetic (movement), e.g. body language, physical gestures, creative dance, physical exercise, drama.

3.  Musical = rhythmic,   e.g.   music   performance,   singing,  musical composition, rhythmic patterns.

4.  Logic = mathematic,   e.g.   numerical   aptitude,   problem solving, deciphering codes, abstract symbols and formulae.

5.  Visual = spatial, e.g. patterns and designs, painting, drawing, active imagination, sculpture, colour schemes.

6.  Interpersonal =  (relationships   with   others),   e.g. person-to-person communication, empathy practices, group projects, collaboration skills, receiving and giving feedback.

7. Intrapersonal = (self-understanding and insight), e.g. thinking strategies, emotional processing, knowing yourself, higher order reasoning, focusing=concentration.

From the book "THE COMPLETE BOOK OF INTELLIGENCE TESTS" by Philip Carter, Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd 2005.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I don't care one bit about what my IQ is because it doesn't matter. I'm going to be as smart as I want to be, I'm not going to let any IQ test tell me how smart I am.

In general, I think those IQ tests are unreliable.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of it is conditioned and learnt behaviours rather than to do with innate intelligence, it goes up in so called civilised society. 

I think there are many measures of intelligence like emotional too.

Tests can be very unreliable. The ones online that aren't really certified won't do you much good (unless you wanna be a cringelord on Facebook). The number does not make the person - I can tell you that, at least.  

According to Jordan Peterson, IQ is the ability to learn new stuff fast. The lower your IQ, the harder it will be for your to learn something (but once you learn it, you may perform that job just as well or better than higher-IQ people).

In one of his lectures he told a story from his experience with a low-IQ person (and that IIRC was 80 or something like that) - the person wanted to do something useful, so he volunteered to work for a political campaign or something like that - the job was to take a piece of paper, fold it in three parts and place it in an envelope. They spent hours teaching this person how to do that, but after he finally learned it, he could do the job as well as anyone else. Until he had to use a different sized envelope or paper.

As for the online IQ tests - they are most likely useless. A proper IQ test would probably be accurate.