Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Careers or Jobs?

Noonenew12

I usually hear from non-watchers that they believe Bronies are non-working cellar dwelling loners. I'm keen to bust this myth as I know Bronies who have quite successful careers. 

I'm quite curious to hear what the community does for a living. I for one am a graphic design in a small firm. It's pretty awesome, I even sneak in some cheeky pony fan art on the quite hours.  :smug:

Why does busting this "myth" interest you so much? And to be honest with you... A lot of bronies are in the 18 range so they are naturally going to be either unemployed or working lower end jobs. I wouldn't worry so much what others think.

I'm not a brony myself, but I work currently at Best Buy Mobile activating phones and being a consultant. I am on my way to a career in the military though.

Operating trains since 1994. Soviet ones was worster than bad copies of german war bounty, more similar with trash containers, what have wheels and windows..
on_moving_by_soobel.jpgworkplace_by_soobel.jpg

2013 was revolution in Estonian passenger traffic - Stadler Flirt commuter trains appears on the rails, skill jump was shocking.

thru_twilight_by_soobel-d6rb2qt.jpg

If i have some hours free time at end stations:

cockpit_by_soobel-d7pnr1k.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Hello @Duckranger,

Indeed I am sure you will find many members here who have jobs/careers, and also you'll find that many of the staff members here (mods/admins/etc.) are folks who have jobs/careers.  

I myself am a college student, currently a junior - I'm majoring in Computer Science, minoring in Marketing.  However I've been working summer-time jobs for years.  (In the summer) when I was 13 I helped my uncle with housing deconstruction; when I was 14 I mowed lawns; and from 15 til 19 (5 summers from 2010 through 2014) I worked for my city on the Street Department.  Working for the city was a hot, laborious job.  Most of the time was spent shoveling asphalt patch out of the back of the truck onto to holes in the road.  Beyond that we trimmed trees, mowed, cleaned streets, and even dealt with flood damage in 2013 at our city well field.

This past summer, 2015, I worked as a cashier at our local grocery store.

Sure, it's ironic that I had worked so many summers doing hard labor (besides this year), and yet I'm a Computer Science major, haha.  But, I come from a small country-town background, so it was only natural.

Why does busting this "myth" interest you so much? And to be honest with you... A lot of bronies are in the 18 range so they are naturally going to be either unemployed or working lower end jobs. I wouldn't worry so much what others think.

I'm not a brony myself, but I work currently at Best Buy Mobile activating phones and being a consultant. I am on my way to a career in the military though.

I believe you sort of contradict yourself by saying "lower end jobs" - a job is a job, and the OP is merely asking about employment of any kind.  But you are right about the age group.  As far as I remember, I think I once saw a statistic saying MLP is most popular with males who are 15-25.

Btw, good luck on your way to the military.  I'm way too kind hearted for that kind of thing.  I'm probably physically capable, but definitely not mentally/emotionally capable of military material.

@@Soobel

Nice!  I love trains.  I had a friend back in high school who was addicted to trains so much that he would film them and post the videos to youtube.  I myself like trains mostly for the auditory appeal - I love the sound of hearing trains go by, and also horns.  I can always tell when a train's horn is "sick," as in, in need of repair.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

I believe you sort of contradict yourself by saying "lower end jobs"

Lower end job is not a contradiction, it's exactly what it sounds like: a job that is lower on the pay scale. I didn't say it was a shameful thing, but I meant exactly what I said. A job is indeed a job but some jobs are definitely better pay wise than other jobs.

Btw, good luck on your way to the military.  I'm way too kind hearted for that kind of thing.  I'm probably physically capable, but definitely not mentally/emotionally capable of military material.

Thanks! 

Why does busting this "myth" interest you so much?

Honestly I'm just wanting to know the members of the community more, and I know work and even training and preping for work is a huge part of people's lives. So it's just interesting to know :)

Software guy falling in! I'm still technically a student, but I've been hired for the past 8 months working on some cool desktop programs and a little web stuff. Supposedly, more of that is coming for me in the next 4 months :)

Lower end job is not a contradiction, it's exactly what it sounds like: a job that is lower on the pay scale. I didn't say it was a shameful thing, but I meant exactly what I said. A job is indeed a job but some jobs are definitely better pay wise than other jobs.

Thanks! 

Right, I guess I was taking too much of a boolean thought approach to the question.  Yeah, I'd say the jobs I've worked have mostly been lower end in terms of pay...  I'd love to find an internship somewhere this upcoming summer, though, even if it doesn't pay.  Having one behind my belt could help me after I graduate college.  I'm keeping an open mind about where my path may lead me, but I do have a few ideas of where I'd really enjoy going the most.  It'd be cool if I could get a career at NOAA, as I know it's something that uses a lot of comp-sci stuff, and I love weather.  But it'd also be nice if I could maybe get a job at CAT, as my dad worked there for a long time. 

And you're welcome.  :squee:  I have a few family members who served, and currently one cousin who is in the military currently (not sure if he's Navy, or Marines).  

~ Miles

Well I work at a deli right now and I'm majoring in Business Management, but its pretty much the destiny of anyone in my family to go into the military. I have many hobbies, like shooting or football, but dwelling in a basement is not one of them and also I do not own a fedora or have a neckbeard, so I have no clue where these people get these insults from.

Good luck with your career in the military.

Junior software developer. Pay is good and work environment is (for the most part) very relaxed. First job I've had where I can work in a t-shirt & jeans and not get written up. :)

I have a job right now, but I'm going for either a career in music or computer technology integration. Whether it'd be software design, audio engineering or composition, I'm gonna be in either the music or technology field.

As of now, I'm working at my local movie theater.  

Well, grown man watching "a kid's show" (which is not true) will usually trigger other people into thinking that those fans are grown kids themselves staying at home and doing nothing, and it's very common, but in most cases untrue. I finished two schools; regular high school and aviation school which was shorter. High school was tough, but everything went well. 

I had my first job when I was 16 in a web-shop. Currently I am a flight attendant. I pay my own bills, help around the family and live a normal life. Home when free, up there in the sky or out of the country when at work. A routine life. I don't feel comfortable to show off, but when somebody tells me I am uneducated and stupid because I like watching ponies, I just giggle at them and turn around.  :)

Edited by ILikeNightmares

• 4 years later...
On 12/8/2015 at 5:14 PM, Noonenew12 said:

I'm keen to bust this myth as I know Bronies who have quite successful careers.

Sorry, can't help you. I work in a grocery store and I like to be alone in the cellar.

I have a part-time job right now and I’m also in college, studying veterinary technology. I start an internship later this year. :BrightMacContent: