Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can guys and girls be just friends?

20_cooler

136 users have voted

1. 1. Can guys and girls be just friends?

• Totally!
    • I think so
    • I don't think so
    • No, definately not!

Some of my closest friends are guys. I've never had romantic feelings for any of them. They're just really good friends and there's nothing else to it.

Boys and girls aren't required to date each other just because they know each other.

• Brohoof 1

I totally agree with all of you, if guys and girls couldn't be friends, that would be so offensive for both guys ánd girls! Sometimes people ask questions like "Just a friend or YOUR friend-friend...?  :toldya: " Just... No. After all I can't have like 5 boyfriends lol

Edited by 20_cooler

Guys and girls can totally be best friends. Reason being, girls are full of dramatics. (I should know, I am one.) And hanging with guy friends takes a little bit of that drama away. For me, I've had mostly guys friends since I was little, (also resulting in the tomboy-ish way I am today.) :P Although some of those guy friends haven't spoken to me in a long time, I still have a few guys that I speak to every day that are pretty cool. 

What's annoying is, I have this one guy friend who I was walking next to in the hallway in middle school, and someone asked me if we were dating or not. Um, excuse me? Lol. Just because I was walking next to the opposite gender in the hallway does not mean we are dating. You wouldn't ask me that if I was walking next to a girl, would you? :V

But yes, girls and guys can be friends if they want to!

• Brohoof 1

Let me put it to you this way; for the majority of us, it's totally possible to have a friend, or even multiple friends, of the opposite sex. In my example, in my personal life, I have 3 friends. And two of them are girls; the other is my best friend and brother.

I think the thing is, for most of us, a lot of people of the same sex don't exactly get along with us, mostly because we don't follow THEIR unreasonable social cues. Like, for guys, style your hair to make yourself look like Justin Beiber, or wear expensive cologne, or some third thing. I can't put up with that, and seeing such, guys HATE me. But girls, I feel like I can get along with better.

Put shortly, yes. I do totally feel that you can have friends of the opposite sex.

• Brohoof 2

It's possible, just maybe not usually probable. Iv'e had some female friends before, but not as many as male friends.

I guess some things ruin it for certain people (obvious things for obvious reasons).

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of course?

This isn't even considering those who aren't heterosexual or those who are aromantic (which people keep confusing for asexual, not the same thing people). 

Hell I've seen tons of straight males/females being friends without wanting to get into each other's pants. You can be friends with anyone, no matter theirs or yours gender.

• Brohoof 2

I wish. I guess society just doesn't like it. In my opinion, guys and girls can be friends, I don't really get how people think that friends of the opposite gender think that they're dating. People especially think that when you're friends with an attractive person, but that's not always true.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. Why wouldn't guys and girls be able to be just friends? Like, what? How is this even up for discussion?....

I've always had more female friends then male, I find it hard to talk to other males at times.

Edited by InTEMsive
  • Brohoof 1

*sarcasm on*

Of course not, girls are for slavery only.

*sarcasm off*

Off course they can. It's more than possible to be within 2 feet of the opposite sex without it arbitrarily becoming a romantic/sexual situation.

• Brohoof 1

yes they can hell when I was 10 years old 90% if my friends where female this unfortunatly changed thanks to pressure from society and puberty. But even to this day if a girl wants to be friends with me I treat her as any other.

• Brohoof 1

The idea that any sort of relationship with someone of the opposite sex from you must be romantic in nature is outdated and backward. A good case-in-point is Harry Potter: Hermione is one of his best friends but their love is more a case of treating each other as family than romantic.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it's possible.

We live in a superficial society and I thinks it's hard to find REAL Irl Friends. But if you find one, believe me, the "pure" love is far, but the affection, loyalty are present :).

Affection and love are two differents things.

It's my small opinion :).

• Brohoof 1

Can guys and girls be just friends? Why (not)? And please mention whether you are a guy or a girl!

Speaking as a 24-year old straight guy myself (who has also never had the pleasure to date anyone but largely because I haven't exactly made a concerted effort to get into any sort of relationship), yes, guys and girls can certainly just be friends.  Whether they be fellow classmates or graduate school colleagues, I have had and still have many, many, many "just-friends" who are girls.  Now, I certainly think it goes through many peoples' minds at some point, if they're in such friendships, whether or not they'd ever date or be able to date such a friend; it's certainly gone through my mind with some of my straight and single "girl-friends," and still does on occasion.  But I think one can get a feel pretty quickly as to who you would always stay just a friend with and who would be someone you'd be more likely to date at some point.  And of course it also hinges on just how much one wants a relationship at all.  If you're not really concerned about stuff like that right now, it really probably won't be an issue.

So yes, to sum up, guys and girls can certainly just be friends; after all, some of my closest friends today are girls.  But obviously how those sorts of friendships work out in the long run is different for everyone.

• Brohoof 3

I have many a female friend. So nothin wrong there. I'm a guy just for the sake of answering the question at hand. Lol There is nothing wrong with guys and girls being friends. After all, if societal graces extended that far, we would eventually regress to a stage where humans begin killing one another off for literally no reason. Because that is what society will demand.

• Brohoof 1