Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Imagine yourself as a hellenistic person

Lithophila

Incase you wonder what hellenism is. Basically from the time of "Alexander the great" i think about 400 BC and to the fall of Rome. There was this thing of greek culture, now this also affected Christianity, hence Roman Catholicism. But not only that. Jews aswell. Since Alexander the great's empire was vastly huge, so hellenistic culture inflicted into Judaism too. Which is why you can see some typical portrait of some diciples in terms of Christian religion looking all hellenistic in types of art form.

What i mean is. Imagine yourself... Looking like this.

plato.jpg

the-12-2.jpg

rfwHB7X.jpeg

Curious to how you would imagine yourself if lets say our society became all awe of this stuff suddently.

The closest thing i can think of in modern times is Jaden Smith's tweets.

11apr2015-jaden-smith-quotes.png

Edited by Lithophila

Whenever someone brings up the idea of travelling into the past, I always think "well they haven't prohibited me from retaining modern knowledge in this state" so I would obviously just become a wiseguy and "invent" a crapload of things and have them named after me.

400BC? That means I could coin every level of mathematics after Pythagoras, which would include basic versions of limits and calculus. Physics, I could invent thermodynamics, pre-Bohric atomic theory, anticipate probabilistic microscopy, heliocentricism, engine cycles, kinetic theory, the big bang, doppler shift and the speed of sound. Not sure about electricity, not enough cheap copper in the world yet.

Since the thing I'd find a most dire need immidiately is civil infrastructure, I'd put myself in the position of inventing engineering rather than any specific kind of science. Mostly because at the time it was a terrifying affair to poop in the 4th century. Sewage management was idiotic everywhere in the world until the 18th century.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I am basically living like that now, only not forced to a religion. What I mean is, I am using my brain every day to think about things. And I dress weirdly :wacko:

• 3 years later...

Hm... I always thought Hellenism referred to the era and the ideas spread in areas conquered by Alexander the Great's Greece until they were taken over by others (like Rome, of course). I didn't know it included the era of Rome, interesting.

I think aspects of ancient Greek culture were pretty cool, but lets be honest, a lot of it wasn't. It was very, very sexist. It's not for me, that's one thing for sure. As for Rome, well Rome certainly carried on the sexism. Rome certainly didn't much care for freedom, freedom of religion, etc. As is evidenced by how harshly they persecuted Christians and Jews and then when Christianity became the state religion, then non-Christians were persecuted. And homosexuality was punishable by death.  :blink: My how those Romans hated freedom.

So, I'll pass. I quite like living in a society where I have opportunities as a woman, where I don't have to be religious and where I won't be executed for being with another woman.

• Brohoof 2