Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zombie Discussion Thread

BizzarePony

I would lock-down my house first off so I have a place to fall back to...I would get armed with whatever I can and if there was a way I would travel to somewhere safer...though I would avoid getting stuck in the masses of fleeing people.

I would lock-down my house first off so I have a place to fall back to...I would get armed with whatever I can and if there was a way I would travel to somewhere safer...though I would avoid getting stuck in the masses of fleeing people.

Ah, and the first thing you said would get you killed.

You never want to stay indoors where they could easily find you.

What I would do is quickly grab my supplies in my garage, head into the forest by my house, and get out of the city.

I live in a city, in my case it's not the simplest task to get into the wilderness without getting bogged down in traffic but I understand what you're saying.

you should seriously consider living somewhere close out of NYC.

You would be killed pretty fast.

I would, my best chance is making a final stand

If I was you, I would seriously try to find a way out of the city as fast as you can xD

Remember, zombies are slow, and you can hit them out of the way.

I would either flee upstate or cross into New Jersey depending on where the zombies are...and in the worst case get out by boat.

the trinity river would NOT be a good idea.

Do you realise how many people would try to escape like that?

There aren't too many options, I would definitely avoid going with the masses but with so many people in this city just about every route would be crowded...which is why I vote on staying put rather than getting stuck in the middle of an evacuation that will eventually fail :P

There aren't too many options, I would definitely avoid going with the masses but with so many people in this city just about every route would be crowded...which is why I vote on staying put rather than getting stuck in the middle of an evacuation that will eventually fail :P

You should head to your roof and lock the door until all of the panic dies down.

Zombies may be everywhere, but you have a better chance of getting out.

that's probably my best bet as their is no way of fleeing the city alive xD

Yeah, you would be screwed from the beginning.

Another question-

What would you do after the zombie invasion happens, and you are somewhere safe.

Definitely stay put in the location if it's safe, but I would probably get to an easily defensible structure and not trust outsiders.

What me and my friends plan is...

Actually, I'ma copy paste it.

One second.

Well, if you want specifics.... I would wake up, and look outside. I would see the undead has risen, and put on some clothes that are not baggy.

I would grab by baseball bat to just keep the undead away from me as I head to my friends house (as family in the undead world is gone as they can not protect themselves.)

I would come in, and since we already have planned things like this, we would grab the weapons in the house.

Then if phonelines were still up, I would call cody, while me and my friend use his SUV to get to his house as quick as possible.

Then we would grab his rifles and as much ammunition as we could carry, and head out into the country (close to waxahachie.)

We would try to find any nearby hardware store, and use the wood to build a sort of makeshift base and set up a perimeter.

After a while we would go back into the city to grab seeds from a herb store and go to the library to find herbalism books to learn how to farm.

Then we would find survivors as much as we could, but do a full body search to make sure they are not bitten.

Then we would find books on medicene, and learn from there.

And there is alot more, but i dont feel like typing any more details unless needed.

• Brohoof 1

I have a few plans, it depends on the situation. It seems unlikely that you would wake up one day and zombies would be everywhere (unless you are in a coma like the beginning of 28 Days Later or the Walking Dead) so there should be some time to prepare if you know what warning signs to look for.

One idea I had for escape is to take the canal. There is this canal about 2 blocks from my house... Now there are some important things about the canal. There are no real boat launches for it, it is mostly used by rowing teams and canoes so there are only canoe launches (where you have to carry the canoe down a switch-back type path-- you can't take a boat trailer and back it out to the water). Most people don't even realize you can put a boat out on this canal so there would not be a rush to go on the water or a jam of boats. Even if some people know about it, since it's only for small canoes and such it would not be likely to get clogged up. Also most people only know about the outlet where the canal goes down to the Chicago River and then into Lake Michigan. This would be useless during an emergency because the river's outlet to the canal is controlled by a series of locks and if there is no one manning those you'd be stuck. The Chicago River's flow was reversed a hundred years ago so it wouldn't dump sludge into the Lake so the locks keep it from flowing out into the Lake. This means that the canal actually drains into Lake Michigan up north, not south near downtown where it flows into the river. So if you go north up the canal, you can actually just boat right into Lake Michigan with no barriers. That outlet is also a lot closer to me and goes through forest preserves and suburbs instead of down into the city like going south.

This leads into a harbor where you can switch to a "real" boat (I have friends with boats or if I got my own I'd load it with supplies ahead of time). I think out on the water in the middle of Lake Michigan is a pretty safe place to be, and considering how congested Chicago and the surrounding areas are it would be a lot more difficult to get to an unpopulated area by trying to leave Chicago. Even though I live on the edge of the city, you have to drive for hours to reach an unpopulated area from there, and if there was a panic and everyone tried to leave it would quickly become impossible.

I've also said in the past that Menards would not be a bad place to ride out a zombie attack. There are no large windows, tons of tools and weapons including wood to shore up the doors, lots of food, and the one in my area also has a weird balcony thing with only one or two stairways leading up, where you can see the whole store below you. That would be good for surveying the area and also a possible place to retreat in an attack, you could destroy or block off the stairs but keep some ladders and stuff in case you need to get back down.) The only problem with that is that other people might have the same idea.

Edited by Neko-Chan

If there was really a zombie outbreak, your best bet is one of my friend's ideas, to get on a blimp with multiple gardens and you would have set up multiple refilling stations, although I don't really believe in this. Anywhere on the ground will make you vulnerable to zombies, so you're mostly safe in water and air.

There are actually ways to engineer a sudden outbreak, imagine a large crazy pharmaceutical company who wants to create a zombie parasite (me) and was about to use nanotechnology to store the parasite into vaccines and ships them around the world (Like in Scorpia by Anthony Horowitz), and was also able to trigger a response that causes the zombie outbreak to occur.

There are actually certain issues with beginning to survive an outbreak. Most likely the parasite is transferred by food, air, or water, and according to genetics about less than 1% (I think) of the total population would have natural resistance against "zombieness."

So as you wake up, your entire family could be zombies, or they were more active in the cool night and took over mostly everyone. Anyways, you survive the initial day, you have a car, except the driving conditions could be the worst. In zombies games and movies you don't experience lack of traction, but you do see the damage zombie can have on a car. The roads will probably be covered in blood and body parts, so unless you are an experience driver, the conditions will probably cause your turning mechanism to stop and make you start sliding, which is not very safe. Also your windshields could become damaged from running into too many zombies, and imagine yourself driving 90 MPH and a head smacks right into you, that would probably kill you.

@Neko, going on the waters is a good idea, but the problem is setting it up, you need at least 2 peoples, or one somewhat strong person, to actually bring a boat or large canoe into the waters. Also you're not hitting upon the food issue.

@FinestHour, growing food would take atleast one year, so that would be 1 whole year of scavenging for the certain amount of people you decided to bring with you, so gardening is not the best idea.

I don't have a zombie plan, but I prefer picking holes at other people's zombie plans ;)

Actually growing food does not take a year, if you have the right climate and know what you're doing. Some vegetables and berries grow fairly quickly but it still would take at the least a month if starting from seeds, unless you're just growing sprouts to eat.

Yes having more than one person would be ideal, but I was thinking rather than a large boat or canoe, something like a Zodiac. Food is an issue I didn't cover but there are many ways to solve that problem (bring food along in the first place, raid other boats or do small trips to shore, go fishing ;) etc...)

If it was me I would have my German Shepherd with me also, and I think having a dog would be useful because they will warn you if zombies are coming or if people are coming to try to steal your supplies. Even though the dog does use up some of your reserves I think it would be a good resource.

My dog is even better because she is an official Zombie Eradication/Disposal Unit (ZEDU) Zombie Detection Dog:

Posted Image

(Ok this is really mostly an honorary title more than anything, but she is trained in tracking and Schutzhund...)

Now if I was visiting my brother at the time of a zombie outbreak, we would actually be a lot better off. He's in New England in a low-population area where you can't even see another house from his house, he's on a mountain with a "pond" nearby which is more like a medium-sized lake than a pond, and he has a huge stocked pantry including freeze-dried emergency meals plus a lot more weaponry than is available here... It's also not too far from the ocean.

Walking dead may be very accurate, but a Bat is not always your best bet.

Look what I found on my Tumblr...

post-461-0-14227100-1322008620_thumb.jpg

So adorable!

...Earthbound taught me the true power of a base ball bat! Ssssmmmmaaaasshh! :lol:

Anyway back to the topic on hand!

As I said, zombies are what I love.

Another question-

What would you do the exact moment you find out their is a zombie invasion.

And please be logical.

hmm... I live in a rural area near a small town so cities aren't my issue! I'd probably be best off leaving my small rural community and hold up in my cabin deep in the woods! If I could I'd contact friends/family who know where the cabin is and tell them to head there. Obviously a full cavity search would be in order! (did I mention I have a lot of hot female friends ;) ) There are other cabins around that don't get used often that we could raid and try to keep people in. (Obviously we'd search carefully) Outside the woods there's a small town with stores to raid.

Glad I don't live in the city though... I can barely get through New York City now let alone with Zombies!