Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zombie Discussion Thread

BizzarePony

I actually got a zombie survival guide for my B-day, and I think it gives quite a bit of useful information and some not so much useful information. Not that I think I will ever use it soon XP. But the ZSG includes things like, which melee weapon would be the best, which part of the world would be least/most likely to have zombies, things you shouldn't/should trade with follow survivalists, etc. Useful unless zombies are something we never expected to be, then it would be completely useless.

Edited by Retro_Derpy

I actually got a zombie survival guide for my B-day, and I think it gives quite a bit of useful information and some not so much useful information. Not that I think I will ever use it soon XP. But the ZSG includes things like, which melee weapon would be the best, which part of the world would be least/most likely to have zombies, things you shouldn't/should trade with follow survivalists, etc. Useful unless zombies are something we never expected to be, then it would be completely useless.

I picked that book up from Barnes and Noble this past Summer. It's pretty neat.

Speaking of parts of the world being least/most likely to have zombies, me and my friend were debating the other day which part of the world would be safest during a zombie apocalypse (other than the obvious choice being Antarctica). I said Alaska, because it would be fairly easy to wipe out the zombie population and there's lots of remote areas to take refuge.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I know. Old thread and old posts, whatever. Doesn't matter.

Slow or fast Zombies?

Slow. There aren't any fast zombies. Those should be classified as something entirely different.

Ok, honestly, almost no one can actually make a Molotov.

Plus, do you realise how hard it would be to kill a walkign dead person with fire when that does not kill them, and they would keep coming at you?

Molotovs are easy to make.

The fire wouldn't kill them quickly but would cause enough damage to their muscles to immobilize them. My biggest concern would be the noise of the breaking bottle and the light show acting like a beacon to any lurking zombies that I may not have known about.

Even still, even though I misread it, my saying still stands.

How is a small knife/small sword going to help you?

You take out the head, not anywhere else.

And a small blade would just get you stuck in the skull.

Swords and knives are fine if you're using ones better suited for slashing than thrusting. Curved blades are the best for that style of attack as they're faster, far less likely to become lodged in anything, and easier to extract if they do.

Just NO.

Guns run out of ammo.

Yes, but engaging multiple zombies at close range is not a good idea. You need firearms, even if they should only be used as a last resort to bail you out of a tight spot. After being forced to use one it would be wise to change locations.

Stealth is key. I know in a lot of modern horror movies and videogames don't teach you this (they just wanna get to the blood and guts). Zombies still have their hearing and smell senses (to some degree). Guns cause a FUCKTON (accurate measurement) of noise!

True, but you need to consider your environment as well. In enclosed areas with many surfaces for the sound to traverse it can be difficult locating the source of the shot, all they would know is the general direction from which it came.

The sound can also be advantageous. Keep in mind that you're still much faster and more agile than the zombies. If there's a large concentration of them exactly where you need to go, you can use a gunshot somewhere else in an attempt to lure them in that direction while you take a wide arc back around to where they were. There's a lot of risk involved in drawing in zombies from other locations but it's still a trick to keep in mind if you're running low on other options.

I can also procure silencers. I understand that's not an option for everybody, but it's a personal advantage I can exploit.

How many of you would be able to kill a zombified family member?

I could do it easily. Not because I'm heartless or anything, it's just a matter of having the resolve to do what's necessary. They wouldn't even know what's happened to them, much less what I'm about to do.

A close friend/family member is bitten and infected. They are suffering from the infection and will turn in the coming days. What would you do?

Ask them if they want to die now or later. They could still be helpful so long as they're human, and the change won't be so sudden as to catch me off guard. It takes time.

Semi-auto's are hard guns to find.

Tis' the only reason.

Plus revolves are easy to aim.

Semi-autos are extremely common, even more so than revolvers these days.

If you want to take a gun off a "dead" persons chest, be my guest.

They could come back at any time.

Some amount of risk is required to procure any kind of supplies, but grabbing a gun from a dead guy is pretty easy. If you're capable of killing an attacking zombie with a bat, crowbar, or whatever, you should know to eliminate any possibility that a motionless corpse is going to get up before frisking it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm avoiding the 3rd season of the Walking Dead until they have the season break (so 3 maybe 4 episodes to go) and then I'll watch them in fairly quick succession.

I've got a friend that actually does video reviews of each episode... can't say how good her reviews are (or up to date because I know what she's like) because she's reviewing the current season and I don't want spoilers damnit.

There is one thing that not one Zombie film, book or series has covered, and thats this. After 3 days without attention nuclear reactors go critical and go into melt down... think Chernobyl. Now think about the fact there there are a loads of nuclear stations scattered all around the planet. So if a world wide zombie apocalypse were to come to pass it would be followed shortly by a nuclear winter.

There are four maybe five possible places in the world where you would not be affected too much by this.

The Arctic

The Antarctic

The most northernly reaches of Canada (or Alaska)

The Himalayas

Iceland

In my mind Iceland is the best choice because as we saw from the volcano that erupted not that long ago the wind currents would keep the radiation to a minimum, also its its a pretty small island and would be difficult for zombies to get to.

Also are we talking traditional zombies, fast zombies or La Horde zombies? Because if its the last two just give me a gun and one bullet.

Also, got to give it a UK perspective here. The general public here don't have access to guns, some farmers have them and our version of the SWAT but thats about it. Bows and crossbows however are much plentiful in comparison as is their ammo. But even then most of us will have to do things hand to hand thankfully blades are not so short in supply, and we've become quite adept at crafting weapons from not a lot (seriously read some of the news reports, acid in girls faces, pool balls in socks, explosives...).

That being said I suspect for us it will be very definitely a losing battle.

Edited by Fridge

• 4 weeks later...

Well as I see it zombies are technically dead but the brain is still alive. i think I would prefer slow zombies but the inevitable is bound to happen and there would be fast zombies eventually.(only because the fresh bodies will be able to sustain that kind of physical feat.) As for weapons I'm a close friend to a red neck so I think I'll be good. But the thing is with ammo you dont want the biggest baddest gun out there a simple .22 or 9 mil will work fine.(.22 have little to no recoil and sound like airsoft guns pretty much.) My Dad and I go to the range every so often and I usually don't miss with either our .22 or our 9 mil sig so I think I may live for some time.

• 3 weeks later...

The other day i was just surfing around on the T.V. and i came upon this really really stupid looking zombie movie. I can't remember what it was called but i HATE zombies. i always have and i always will. Its not that they really gross me out, i just hate them. I mean, this lady was sitting there at the side of her bed crying her eyes out as her husband ate her brother and her children were eating her baby. HOW MESSED UP IS THAT?!?!? I just really dont like zombies. Then they just jumped out of the window into a swimming pool, and some zombies followed them out of the window and hit the ground and exploded. In my eyes that is just wrong. I dont see why anyone would really enjoy something like that. But The Walking Dead isn't a bad series, i have to admit... :unsure:  ah well, anyway, yup. thats about it. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

My tips on surviving... 1. If your strong blunt weapons are good. Think about wouldn't sharp weapons get stuck? 2. Most people think chainsaw... No gasoline is required for it it's heavy and you can't really run with it and now that I think about bit wouldn't it get clogged? Hmmm... 3. No cities! Cities may be packed together with a high population... Not ideal for zombie avoidage...

Some tips on how to survive against Zombies.

1. Be heavily armed with good weapons.

2. Get plenty of supplies (medics,food,etc.)

3. Make sure to have enough cardio..

Enjoy, your zombie journey. :P

Ugh...I absolutely hate zombies. They're so generic and boring. Zombies are in everything these days that they lost most of their terror. You know who I blame? Fucking George Romero. Why'd he have to make Night of the Living Dead? It's his fault we have to deal with zombie overload now.

Why don't people come up with an original apocalypse? Like Mecha-Dinosaurs from Mars or something.

In all seriousness, I like zombies, but there really is too much zombies in media today. Kind of wish people would tone it down a bit so zombies can get back some of their terror. Night of the Living Dead was awesome as well.

I absolutely hate the idea of fast zombies. Would you really like a horde of over 100000 zombies in a huge open area running at you like Usain Bolt on steroids? 

I agree. It makes them OP and silly. Either make them few and fast, or slow and a horde. Personally, the slow, shambling horde is more terrifying to me.

I would definitely take slow zombies. Then, it would be less effort to run away when outnumbered. And on the subject of "where would you go", if it was just started in my hometown, I would simply leave the UK, hoping that border control were no be letting infected people out. For a weapon, I would settle for a midpoint between a blunt and a sharp by using a croquet mallet with nails hammered through it for extra "bodycrushability".

Edited by Coffee123
  • Brohoof 1

Ugh...I absolutely hate zombies. They're so generic and boring. Zombies are in everything these days that they lost most of their terror. You know who I blame? Fucking George Romero. Why'd he have to make Night of the Living Dead? It's his fault we have to deal with zombie overload now.

Why don't people come up with an original apocalypse? Like Mecha-Dinosaurs from Mars or something.

In all seriousness, I like zombies, but there really is too much zombies in media today. Kind of wish people would tone it down a bit so zombies can get back some of their terror. Night of the Living Dead was awesome as well.

I agree. It makes them OP and silly. Either make them few and fast, or slow and a horde. Personally, the slow, shambling horde is more terrifying to me.

The reason why zombies have become so popular because people like the idea of an apocalypse of humans that turn on eachother. The zombies we're humans before and they come back to eat the remaining humans. I mean, most people like the idea of a Zombie apocalypse where the thing that destroyed the earth is something that you can fight, instead of a bunch of aliens blowing them up and tearing their limbs apart. And come on, you gotta admit that it would be cool to go all badass with an axe on a group of zombies. A zombie outbreak is also one of the more realistic/believable ways our end could come. I mean, you're not gonna see aliens from galaxies far from ours or giant robot dinosaurs tear us apart. Zombies seem more believable because it could happen, spread from one person to another as an infection that would take time to destroy us all. Because it's not like aliens are gonna come to earth and wipe out all life on earth in one little zap.

• Brohoof 1

The reason why zombies have become so popular because people like the idea of an apocalypse of humans that turn on eachother. The zombies we're humans before and they come back to eat the remaining humans. I mean, most people like the idea of a Zombie apocalypse where the thing that destroyed the earth is something that you can fight, instead of a bunch of aliens blowing them up and tearing their limbs apart. And come on, you gotta admit that it would be cool to go all badass with an axe on a group of zombies. A zombie outbreak is also one of the more realistic/believable ways our end could come. I mean, you're not gonna see aliens from galaxies far from ours or giant robot dinosaurs tear us apart. Zombies seem more believable because it could happen, spread from one person to another as an infection that would take time to destroy us all. Because it's not like aliens are gonna come to earth and wipe out all life on earth in one little zap.

That still doesn't change the fact that zombies are in everything. I like zombies as much as the next guy, but damn they're just everywhere.

I don't know, an alien invasion seems just as likely as a zombie apocolypse in my opinion.

I'm going to start off by saying I am obsessed with zombies. A zombie Apocalypse would be really sad to see your friends/family turning, BUT, doesn't mean I don't like zombies.

Most realistic depictions of zombies in games/movies/tv shows: I'd have to go with The Walking Dead. They portray zombies like the usual; groaning, slow, flesh-eating infected.

Favorite zombies: This one will be fun. I haven't played Left 4 Dead 1 or 2, but my favourite zombies are the Tank, The Charger, and The Hunter. However, my #1 favourite zombie is the Gas-Mask Zombie (Doctor Who "The Empty Child+"The Doctor Dances"}.

How a Zombie Apocalypse would start: I think what might be the most plausible would be a Terrorist group or another organization would genetically engineer an already existing virus, making it take over people's minds and turn them into flesh-eating killers (also to note possible mutations and/or slowing).

How you plan on surviving a Zombie Apocalypse: So many things and so little time ... Well my plan is: Step 1: Break into a Weapon Store and get many kinds of weapons/silencers. Step 2: Raid a Food Market and get food, water, Medical Kits etc. Step 3: Reinforce the vehicle of choice. Step 4: Pack up things and friends/family. Step 5: Get the hell outta dodge.

Edited by Sketchi

I think my favorite zombie movie I've seen is Zombieland, even though it's a Black Comedy. I think probably the scariest zombie movie I've seen is The Crazies.