Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can a Religious Person and Athiest Be Great Friends?

PonyFunk

I think the short, easy answer would be, "Yes, of course." However, I think it could take time to get over each other's differences and opinions, and just learn to enjoy each other's company without ever getting into sharp debates.

I admit I have a lot of Christian friends, but not enough friends who are athiests or just don't like to talk about their religious preferences and upbringings. I think it would be healthy for me to find a friend who may have completely different views on God than me, yet still find the time and place to enjoy each other just for who we are.

What are your experiences with friends with differing religious/non-religious backgrounds?

• Brohoof 3

I think so. Even though I'm not religious I have a number of great friends who are. I don't practice a religion but I'm not anti-religion at all. FiM teaches us that we can be friends despite differences in interests or personality, I don't see why religious beliefs should be any different.

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, in day to day conversation I find that religion doesn't come up much. Heck, even when spending time with someone or having fun, the same seems to apply.
I think the only ways the two groups wouldn't get along is if:

1.) One or both is incredibly vocal or up front about their views, and feel the need to make it repeatedly known

2.) One or both look down on the other's beliefs as silly or stupid--basically being closed minded and devaluing the other's beliefs

3.) In the more rare cases where accommodations or compromises might need to be made, they don't respect it or make an issue of it

• Brohoof 8

I'm an atheist. One of my best friends for the last couple of decades is a devout Christian. We've had discussions. We've shared points of view. And she's tried to convert me, albeit gently. In the end though, we like each other and we're respectful enough of each others' viewpoints that it doesn't get in the way.

• Brohoof 3

I personally don't follow any religion and that is very rare in a mainly Muslim country such as mine. Most of my friends could be considered as more conservative and religious. It does occasionally cause some conflict and certain people may be put off but I've had great friendships with religious people.

I actually have personal experience here. One of my best friends (if not my best, honestly) is an atheist and I am a Bahá'í. We've known each other for years, and were roommates over the past summer as we worked at Cedar Point. Plus, we are both avid coaster enthusiasts living in Arizona! Anyhow, we generally don't find ourselves talking about religion. We don't actively avoid it either... But having a difference of opinion is perfectly normal, and beliefs are no different. We also disagree on other important issues, such as Coke vs. Pepsi!

• Brohoof 2

I'm an atheist and well, all of my friends had a religion, only some are atheist.

my best friend is christian, and we get along just fine.

a true friend won't let other things disturb your friendship
ah'm sure of it 

- - -

I am very atheistic and totally against organized religion, but I have religious friends sure. As long as they don't try to force their religion on me, we can get along just fine. In fact at one time, I had a best friend who was very religious. It's all about whether or not you respect one another, no matter how you feel about a person's beliefs, you can still be friends if you're respectful of each other.

I'm an atheist, and every friend I've ever had has been a Christian (some very devout). The topic of religion never came up much, so it was never much of an issue. I did have one friend who tried to convert me, but I just told him I wasn't interested, and he dropped the subject.

Sure, One member of POGM is Christian while another is an Atheist and they're good friends. Though they do have their moments, but other than that they're nice to each other.

As for me I believe there is a God and I follow some Christian beliefs, but I dont go to church or practice Christianity

Of course they can. Only 1/10 Norwegians are not religiously affiliated.

If I could not befirend 90% of the population I would be really lonely. xD

My friends are mostly christians or muslims.

We sometimes discuss religion, but its not something we do too often. It has not been a problem before, and I don't see why it would.

Edited by Mr. Fluffles

Hmm...

I'm gonna put a more straight forward answer here. (I mean, what everyone has said so far of course is good and I agree mostly, but there is a point I want to make).

As a Christian, I don't mind if someone I across isn't religious.  I do have non-religious friends.  My housemate (as now we live in a townhouse, compared to living in dorms last year, thus then he was my roommate) is an atheist, essentially.

However, I will be honest.  I dislike people who blatantly say to me "God isn't real."  I mean seriously, when people tell me they aren't interested in religion, I will not bother them with it!  So don't do the opposite to me.  It's fine if you don't know me, but folks, if someone is religious, don't spark an atheistic debate... and at the same time, folks... if someone is atheist, don't start a religious debate.  It's just common courtesy to let such things go.  

>In before fellow Christians of mine strike me down with "You gotta be an Evangelist; you gotta spread the Word."  Yeah, I know.  But what's it worth losing a friend over?  It's not.  The first conversation about it is fine, where you get to know someone and how they feel.  But if someone tells you they're atheist and don't wish to be bothered by anyone who wants to get them into religion... Don't bother them.  Because if you do, they probably won't want to be your friend!  I'd rather have a fair share of both religious and non-religious friends, than half the amount of friends, all religious.  

~ Miles

• Brohoof 3

"Respect the values of others and believe in your own."

Yes, it's possible, not in all the cases, but definitely possible.

Edited by Solid Scorpion

Yes, maybe they should just not talk about religion.

I remember hearing a quote from someone whose name I can't remember some time ago along the lines of 'If two people want to stay friends, they should not mention politics.' (I believe this should apply to religion as well.)

Alrighty, well, I'm an atheist and I've had many friends of differing religions. Religion just isn't something that usually comes up in casual conversations, I don't know for sure the faith of any of my college peers.

Sometimes it does come up though and I like talking about that sort of stuff. Its interesting talking about our morality and the nature of the universe. Just so long as it's an actual conversation rather than a blatant conversion attempt, argument bait, guilt trip or them trying to appear as something superior.

All in all though, true friends can easy work around that issue and even talk about their faith. It's ok to have differences in religious and political stances, differences are interesting. just don't be an arse about it.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

I think the short, easy answer would be, "Yes, of course." However, I think it could take time to get over each other's differences and opinions, and just learn to enjoy each other's company without ever getting into sharp debates.

I admit I have a lot of Christian friends, but not enough friends who are atheists or just don't like to talk about their religious preferences and upbringings. I think it would be healthy for me to find a friend who may have completely different views on God than me, yet still find the time and place to enjoy each other just for who we are.

What are your experiences with friends with differing religious/non-religious backgrounds?

I think the question at hand is bullcrap because really anyone can be friends. At my table at school when my friends and I sit at there are 4-6 atheists, my BEST friend is a Jew, I have a Wiccan friend and I have a shit ton of Christian friends (considering I live in the christian belt of america)

Edited by PROJECT: Echo

Oh for sure they can. There is a fundamental difference in views but that shouldn't stop people. Outside of debates and in casual and normal settings it isn't your place to force views upon people. I respect everyone's rights to be religious and areligious and have the views they want.

If however those views come out upon me or another person forcefully and you wish to have a debate. Off comes the gloves I will show respect for you but will blow apart what you are tying to force upon me if it is wrong.

Of course. We may not agree with their views. But they are still beloved Children of god, even though they don't want to aknowledge it. Be kind to one another and rejoice :twi:

Edited by Lithophila

I'm a devout Christian, many of my best friends are Wiccan, another one is Pagan, a Satanist sat at the same table as me my junior year in art class and we became friends pretty quickly; I have a few Atheist friends too, a Hindu friend as well as a Taoist (is that how you spell it?) friend, and a couple Agnostics to boot.

Religion shouldn't even come into question when deciding whether or not to form a friendship with someone, because no matter the religion, they all have wisdom to share, whether you believe in the religious figures or not. For example

• Christians teach to hate the sin, but love the sinner (although, many fake Christians don't follow this rule, true Christians actually practice what they preach).
  • Hinduism teaches that all life is sacred, and that harming another will bring harm to yourself through karma.
  • Taoists believe that you shouldn't dwell on misfortune in the past, but rather to go with the flow and keep pushing onward.
  • Satanism teaches that if everyone is thinking the same way, then nobody is thinking at all.
  • Wiccans/Pagans teach that by being kind to the Earth and the Universe itself, you are being kind to the gods and goddesses
  • Atheism's core concept is not to rush foolishly into a practice that may be harmful to critical thinking, but rather to expand your mind and think for yourself.
  • Agnostics believe that with no proof of existence or lack of existence of any sort of deity, a decision cannot be made, so therefore nobody should speak so narcissistic as if they have all the answers.

Each one of these core beliefs of religion (or lack thereof) holds wisdom, and only a fool would pass up such knowledge because "my god can beat up your god!"

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 2