Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can a Religious Person and Athiest Be Great Friends?

PonyFunk

When I was younger, I never believed in God (or knew anything about religion, for that matter), but all of my friends were religious.

Since I was 14 years old, all of my closest friends have been agnostic or atheists, and I don't expect that to change. It's possible I could have a religious friend in the future, but I kind of doubt that will happen. The type of dogmatic thinking religions require honestly gets on my nerves most of the time.

Not to mention, I rarely feel comfortable being myself around religious people because many of my inner thoughts and core beliefs come directly from my lack of belief in any higher power. If I was to answer the question, "who am I?" one of my answers would be that I'm a scientist. I look at the world from the perspective of a scientist--and that affects nearly every aspect of my life.

As much as I'm going to sound terrible for saying this, I think whether or not a person is religious is a good indicator of how well we will get along. There are so many silly things,like how tall someone is, what gender they are, what race they are, what their favorite food is--none of that matters to me. What does matter to me is how a person chooses to view the world and how a person chooses to approach the problems they face in their everyday life.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

Hmm...

I'm gonna put a more straight forward answer here. (I mean, what everyone has said so far of course is good and I agree mostly, but there is a point I want to make).

As a Christian, I don't mind if someone I across isn't religious. I do have non-religious friends. My housemate (as now we live in a townhouse, compared to living in dorms last year, thus then he was my roommate) is an atheist, essentially.

However, I will be honest. I dislike people who blatantly say to me "God isn't real." I mean seriously, when people tell me they aren't interested in religion, I will not bother them with it! So don't do the opposite to me. It's fine if you don't know me, but folks, if someone is religious, don't spark an atheistic debate... and at the same time, folks... if someone is atheist, don't start a religious debate. It's just common courtesy to let such things go.

>In before fellow Christians of mine strike me down with "You gotta be an Evangelist; you gotta spread the Word." Yeah, I know. But what's it worth losing a friend over? It's not. The first conversation about it is fine, where you get to know someone and how they feel. But if someone tells you they're atheist and don't wish to be bothered by anyone who wants to get them into religion... Don't bother them. Because if you do, they probably won't want to be your friend! I'd rather have a fair share of both religious and non-religious friends, than half the amount of friends, all religious.

~ Miles

I really like the way that Miles worded this. ^

I am a Christian, and I have friends who are also fellow Christians, but also those who are aetheists and of different religious backgrounds. We get along just fine. Sometimes, we will get curious and ask each other questions about each other's faith systems just to gain some knowledge about it, but it's done in a respectful way. More precisely, the reason we get along is because there isn't a sense of "I am superior to you because I believe/don't believe in x and you don't/do."

We are supposed to love and respect one another.

Edited by Quartzy
  • Brohoof 4

Anyone can be friends regardless of beliefs.

While it is true that things such as religion can commonly prevent this, it's not impossible.

Sure, if neither of them is an arrogant jerk and looks down on the other.

Notice I said "looks down on" not "disagrees with".

Friends can totally think another friend is wrong about something and still have fun hanging out.

With me, I don't care if someone has religious beliefs or not. I don't care about that stuff, I care about people. The person themselves is who I care about, so as long as the beleifs are not in my face or anything, then I am perfectly fine with that person, if they are a good person of course.  

Anyone can be friends. If their religion, or lack of one, is so fiery that they can't, then they won't, but there's no real reason two people can't look past their differences, and enjoy each others company.
My brother, an atheist himself, just went to church recently, because his girlfriend wanted to. Is he going to convert? No, and she is well aware of that. It was just something to do for him. But it meant a lot to her.

By my own experience I can say that yes, it is possible.

I am Catholic. From my friends outside my church's community, I don't know the religious stance of at least half of them. There are two that I know for sure that are atheists. Religion isn't a subject that comes often in offline conversations, but I never had any drama when they turned up.

From my friends on this form, there are some who are atheists, most of them I knew at the Debate Pit. We even exchanged in a friendly manner a couple of questions about each other's stance :). There is even some friendly banter every sometimes with one of them :P

• Brohoof 1

Speaking from personal experience, yes, it can. It really hinges whether or not either party is an extremist. Friends that consist of one atheist and one religious person have often occurred when both sides are moderates and even then, it is under a "don't ask don't tell" policy.

The same is true for ideologies, as far as I've seen.

My short response is: Of course they can! 

My long response is:

Yeah definitely, so long as both sides are respectful of each other. My boyfriend is an atheist and I'm a very religious Pagan and we don't clash at all. If anything, we're interested in each other's thoughts and beliefs and view each other's opinions as valid even though they clash with our own beliefs and opinions. Being a good person and staying respectful can help be friends with anyone, regardless of the situation and of the difference you share. Being friends with people who think differently than you is important in your own growing process and helps with expanding your mind to other ideas and cultures that you wouldn't have been exposed to otherwise. So yeah, of course a religious person and an atheist can be friends. 

• Brohoof 1

Of course they could. True friends should have the respect and acceptance of one another to not be driven apart by differing beliefs. If anything, both should be able to learn from one another and understand why they choose to follow the paths they do. I think they should even be able to have a friendly discussion about it without it becoming aggressive or offensive, just educational. It's nice to be able to discuss religion & philosophy with a close friend, even if they don't necessarily share the same views. :)

People of differing beliefs need not always be instant enemies, they stand to learn so much more in acceptance.

The heart of the answer to this question is respect, if you can respect one another's differences, even if you don't agree with them, then you can be friends with anyone, regardless of differences in beliefs.  I personally am a believer in Jesus, but I have plenty of friends who are not, who have other beliefs, and while I pray for them, I respect their beliefs and their right to make their own choices and form their own ideas about the world, and they respect my right to make my own choices and beliefs.  I may think they are wrong and they may think I am wrong, but as long as we remain respectful of each other, then a friendship can grow and develop.

• Brohoof 1

Since im very open to Opinions ( at least i think i am ) or different thoughts, i could befriend myself with a Religious Person and an Atheist.

Well...i mean, i would, if i wasnt so socially awkward.  :lol:

But im okay with both. So i guess it is possible.

If we couldn't, I'd be in trouble since I live in such a religious area.

With my Christian friends, I really just keep my mouth shut, and they tend to, as well (at least in regards to talking to me). It's just not something to let get in between you, unless they really think you're going to hell, that it makes you evil, or if you're LGBT and they use the religion to try to justify hating what you are, etc. And besides, with people that fit into those categories, it just doesn't get brought up to begin with. I've never been put into such a scenario where I have to say "Oh, I don't believe at all. Sorry"... Like when my oboe teacher brought up church I just said "Oh, I'm not currently attending any churches... The one my parents and I went to started speaking views that we did not at all agree with." Simple (and not even completely a lie, as that is really why my parents stopped). Granted, it could easily get brought up again... Hopefully not! >.<

Of course! even religious matters can be discusses amongst theists and atheists, as long as both are willing to listen to the other side, and not simply dismiss the person's belief, such as saying "If you don't believe you're going to hell" or "only idiots believe in God"

It's not uncommon for people with different points of view to get along fine. They normally keep their philosophies to themselves, but truly wise people are able to debate and keep their friendship  

I personally don't have any atheist friends, but their beliefs wouldn't stop me from befriending them. After all, I like to debate with friends; it challenges me and gives me a second viewpoint on an issue

One of my best friends is a very religious person. Like, very very religious. I'm an agnostic atheist. We just joke about it from time to time but it really doesn't make a difference, of course a religious person and an atheist can be friends and no, it does not always "take time to get over each other's differences and opinions". If it does, then one of them may have a problem with tolerance. But two rational individuals with different opinions can get along pretty quickly.  :icwudt:

I'm pretty sure that's possible. A few of my friends are Christian and they get along just fine with my other friends who are Atheists. As long as people respect other's beliefs, that means no "Worship Christ or you will burn in hell", or "I am smarter than you bcause i don't believe in God", things will turn out fine. Honestly, religion shouldn't affect relationships with other people, as long as you don't shove into their faces.

Edited by Ravelicious

I think so. My best friend was atheist. We haven't been friends for a few days, but it's for other reasons.

I grew up in a Catholic family, but to be honest, I am losing a lot of belief in religion, and already thinking most of it is just stories.

Pretty much what everypony here said. I will say that I've had an easier time getting along with Muslims, Jews, Wiccans, Hindus, and other Buddhists and other Christians than I have atheists but that's a very small minority of asshole anti-theists to the amicable atheists who I call friends.

I'm atheist, and I get along fine with my Methodist parents..... A lot of my friends are catholic..... It's not really your idealogy, it's how you carry it..... Not every Christian is a Furstein or a Kent Hovind, and not every atheist is Stalin...... If you live,many let live ANYONE can get along with ANYONE!!!!