Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can a Religious Person and Athiest Be Great Friends?

PonyFunk

Being an atheist and having a good friend who's a Christian, the answer is yes.

Frankly, if you can't get over the differences in religion and accept someone for who they are - are you really friends?

You can be great friends with anyone, whether they're religious or not, politically inclined or not, or even whether they were a murderer or not. Friendship doesn't know any boundaries that you don't place there yourself.

• 3 years later...

No friend that has known I'm an atheist has ever been too problematic about it.

However, I do think that when two people really care for each other and one believes in a religion that tells them that the other is going to go to Hell, it is actually bizarre for this friendship to go on so casually. Shouldn't the religious friend care enough to do everything in their power to make sure the other doesn't go to Hell?

That is really the one reason I don't think I should ever date a Hell-believing Christian (anyone else is fine). A rift is going to be driven, if the two actually care about each other. While I think it's worse in a relationship situation (lucky me, I've over ever dated other nonbelievers), I think it most certainly should apply to friendship as well... But I'm not a Hell-believing Christian, so, what do I know?

Absolutely. As long as religion isn’t something that is heavily discussed between both parties, and if they both accept each other and respect one another’s views and beliefs, than yes it is 101% possible. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Envy said:

No friend that has known I'm an atheist has ever been too problematic about it.

However, I do think that when two people really care for each other and one believes in a religion that tells them that the other is going to go to Hell, it is actually bizarre for this friendship to go on so casually. Shouldn't the religious friend care enough to do everything in their power to make sure the other doesn't go to Hell?

That is really the one reason I don't think I should ever date a Hell-believing Christian (anyone else is fine). A rift is going to be driven, if the two actually care about each other. While I think it's worse in a relationship situation (lucky me, I've over ever dated other nonbelievers), I think it most certainly should apply to friendship as well... But I'm not a Hell-believing Christian, so, what do I know?

I'm really glad you brought this up because that aspect has always bothered me as a practicing Catholic. We almost always give prayer to those other "religions practicing in the name of their own creator that one day they will reach him" and it initially struck me how inclusive that was. I brought it up one time and the priest offered a new perspective. Instead of seeing those who do not follow or not believe what we do going to Hell, they are merely not going to OUR heaven, but that doesn't mean they have no afterlife, just not one how my religion believes it to be. Also logically how can they be going to the Christian version of Hell if they're not Christian so that image would mean nothing to them, as Hell should more be seen for those self proclaimed Christians who failed in the eyes of God, nothing more.

So that Muslim friend, that Jewish friend, that athiest friend may not be going to what I see as heaven and if they want the help I shall help them, but if they have their future in mind as well, then there's no reason to interfere if they're not interfering with my future, which is a how I traditionally see friends with different beliefs.

Edited by KH7672

Honestly due to my religious and philosophical path I am friends with people from almost any path that you can think of. From pagans to atheists to the big 3 religious affiliations and most things in between. 

• Brohoof 1

Sure, as long no one opposes their opinion on each others to the point of cutting one's throat. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Depends on their attitude. I’ve known plenty of religious and atheist people who are awesome.

I’ve also known some religious and atheist people who shove their beliefs down everyone’s throats and insult everyone who disagrees.

Never understood people who make it a big deal if you have different religious beliefs. It is as if they can't discuss it or debate it as they would with anything else. The thing is and seems to be both individuals are very closed minded to just talking about it. For example I would talk to a friend who is Ásatrúa as in believes in the old Gods of Asgard and we would often discuss the differences and the tails of these Gods and the Christian God and Jesus. We could do so without problem. So why is it that people are so focused on just yelling over someone just listen to them and you'll learn a lot more.