Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Males in the show.

CastletonSnob

Why is it that most of the male characters in this show are either villains, assholes, or one-dimensional? I'm not saying they have to be as developed as the females, but more that aren't the three categories I just listed would be nice.

• Brohoof 2

Agreed. Many of the male characters in the show are....really, really boring. Many of them either feel paper thin and the only ones that kinda don't are the villains, but Sombra proves even that is possible. Where is a male character that has tons of depth to his character?

• Brohoof 3

i would like to see a show developed around a male character that isnt a villan, i guess the one where pipsqueak wanned to become the student body president(i cant remember what they called it in cannon), did touch on it but it was more focused on the CMC getting him there or even trouble shoes from 'appleoosa's most wanted', but yeah the only in depth things of male characters have only been referenced by female characters

so in conclusion i agree !!! and episode of only males would be nice

• Brohoof 1

Well you cant blame hasbro, it is a kid show for young girls after all. Us adults got to be grown ups and accept that. (Dont comment on this if you are easily offended).

Edited by Sugarcup
  • Brohoof 2

I thought Shining Armor and Discord made good male characters.

Discord might have been a "villain" however he changed

Shining Armor seems to be a well developed male character, albeit he only appeared temporarily. 

and lets not forget big mac

• Brohoof 3

Well you cant blame hasbro, it is a kid show for young girls after all.

Friendship Is Magic is an all-ages, family-friendly show. It's for everyone, and anyone at any age can watch, enjoy it, and criticize it for its flaws. "It's for kids" is not an excuse. The fact that so many stallions are among the group is a very notorious flaw dating back to season one. To reduce so many male characters to these categories suggests very sexist implications seen in entertainment for several decades.

There's a common belief in entertainment that anything with a base market and gender in mind can't feature any prominent role for the opposite sex. For the male side, Digimon (especially Frontier), Assassin's Creed: Unity. For females, Cardcaptor Sakura by making characters like Takashi Yamazaki a punchline and perceived homosexuality by Syaoran as a joke. FIM has, too, including this season by how Spike was written in Princess Spike.

Us adults got to be grown ups and accept that.

Wrong. I don't have to accept it. For a show to go down this path hurts the overall quality of their worldbuilding and production. This is a feminist show; the way some males are treated is very antifeminist. The true way for any of us to make it better is to call out this issue and suggest ways to fix it.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

Big mac and spike are pretty good characters IMO. But yeah, the only other really fleshed out male is Discord. and he started as a villain. There's alot of potential for Soarin if they were to focus on him a little more too IMO.

But yeah, I mean, like others have said, its a show primarily aimed at little girls, so hasbro is going to weigh in and try to encourage more girl characters since that's what most studies show little girls will empathize with the most. Hell, look at the male with the most hasbro push at the moment, Flash; he only gets mandated into the universe and gets scenes because hasbro views him as a glorified trophy male for them to sell toys of with twilight.

Agreed. Many of the male characters in the show are....really, really boring. Many of them either feel paper thin and the only ones that kinda don't are the villains, but Sombra proves even that is possible. Where is a male character that has tons of depth to his character?

Well, they managed to make sombra a good character in the comic, but he's basically sombra in name only in those, so its hard to use that as an example XD

Friendship Is Magic is an all-ages, family-friendly show. It's for everyone, and anyone at any age can watch, enjoy it, and criticize it for its flaws. "It's for kids" is not an excuse. The fact that so many stallions are among the group is a very notorious flaw dating back to season one. To reduce so many male characters to these categories suggests very sexist implications seen in entertainment for several decades.

There's a common belief in entertainment that anything with a base market and gender in mind can't feature any prominent role for the opposite sex. For the male side, Digimon (especially Frontier), Assassin's Creed: Unity. For females, Cardcaptor Sakura by making characters like Takashi Yamazaki a punchline and perceived homosexuality by Syaoran as a joke. FIM has, too, including this season by how Spike was written in Princess Spike.

Wrong. I don't have to accept it. For a show to go down this path hurts the overall quality of their worldbuilding and production. This is a feminist show; the way some males are treated is very antifeminist. The true way for any of us to make it better is to call out this issue and suggest ways to fix it.

Digimon adventure 1 and 2 were very good at averting that IMO as while there was a male imbalance they had a heavy focus on the girls as much as the guys in a gender neutral way. Kari was incredibly important after all, and sora was probably the third in command of the group all things considered.

• Brohoof 1

lol spotted the easily offended one :muffins:

any show can be for any age and gender if you think about it, but mlp was mainly for young girls. im not saying that adults and boys cant enjoy it. just enjoy it for what it is

Digimon adventure 1 and 2 were very good at averting that IMO as while there was a male imbalance they had a heavy focus on the girls as much as the guys in a gender neutral way. Kari was incredibly important after all, and sora was probably the third in command of the group all things considered.

I'll admit, you make a good point there.

lol spotted the easily offended one :muffins:

The fact that you used sarcasm to make a point speaks less about my offense and more about your dismissal of unfortunate implications and kills your whole opinion.

any show can be for any age and gender if you think about it, but mlp was mainly for young girls.

Actually, Tales was when MLP started the idea that MLP was "for little girls." Founder Bonnie Zacherle stated that MLP was for boys and girls, and it was published as such for many years. Faust helped guide FIM's animation under the idea that anyone can watch a show regardless of lead cast. FIM lead the franchise back to its roots. The toys, on the other hand, are still pandered to girls when toys, period, shouldn't be marketed exclusively to one sex.

just enjoy it for what it is

But we can also enjoy it while knowing it can do way better.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

What about Spike, Big Mac, Time Turner / Dr. Whooves, Steven Magnet, the red Dragon from Dragonshy, Braeburn, Chief Thunderhooves, Discord, Cranky, Shining Armor, Troubleshoes, etc.?

All those guys ultimately turned out to be decent males.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I'll admit, you make a good point there.

The fact that you used sarcasm to make a point speaks less about my offense and more about your dismissal of unfortunate implications and kills your whole opinion.

Actually, Tales was when MLP started the idea that MLP was "for little girls." Founder Bonnie Zacherle stated that MLP was for boys and girls, and it was published as such for many years. Faust helped guide FIM's animation under the idea that anyone can watch a show regardless of lead cast. FIM lead the franchise back to its roots. The toys, on the other hand, are still pandered to girls when toys, period, shouldn't be marketed exclusively to one sex.

But we can also enjoy it while knowing it can do way better.

so you mean that when you see mlp come on on the tv you think that that must be a show that is for 50% 50% for boys and girls. Id say it is more 60-70% for girls and 40-30% for boys (as i said, boys can enjoy it). I dont know how many of my rl guy brony friends that i have seen wearing the girl mlp merch. Not saying it is wrong at all, we do live in a such time where that is accepted. I just dont think it is ok for adults to nag about a show that is mainly for kids. And the writers of the show do their best now a days to satisfy both kids and the adults, but the adults are not the most important. Kids are

What about Spike, Big Mac, Time Turner / Dr. Whooves, Steven Magnet, the red Dragon from Dragonshy, Braeburn, Chief Thunderhooves, Discord, Cranky, Shining Armor, Troubleshoes, etc.?

All those guys ultimately turned out to be decent males.

and let us not forget fancy pants, love that dude

And Soarin.

*Beat.*

Crap, I forgot to mention yet another one up there...

sig-4267580.tumblr_luqcl3CoFi1qir51n.gif

And trenderhoof. he was not a bad pony. just a bit flaky

And filty rich :D

AND OMG CHEESE SANDWICH

Edited by Sugarcup

Why is it that most of the male characters in this show are either villains, assholes, or one-dimensional? I'm not saying they have to be as developed as the females, but more that aren't the three categories I just listed would be nice.

This is actually relatively simple. Lauren Faust was a feminist, and to be honest, not the best writer (but that's an argument for another time). So, when she created G4, she made females the dominant gender, making them far more common, be in the higher class jobs, etc, etc.

The show is not sexist. It's never directly said anything about one gender being better than the other. But the show is far more female-orientated, and with female orientation, we will generally see stuff from a more female perspective.

While I will admit that having a show where almost all the protagonists are male, and most of the females are looked at in a negative light would bring about quite the shitstorm, this show isn't really doing anything wrong. Also, remember that there are/were plenty of female antagonists. Queen Chrysalis. Nightmare Moon. Starlight Glimmer. Sunset Shimmer. We have mares like Diamond Tiara's mother, etc, etc.

Sometimes it's important to decide what is important, and what isn't. What you should laugh at, or get offended by. I don't think, at least not yet, this is something to get worked up over.

Edited by MrSp33dy123
  • Brohoof 4

This is actually relatively simple. Lauren Faust was a feminist, and to be honest, not the best writer (but that's an argument for another time). So, when she created G4, she made females the dominant gender, making them far more common, be in the higher class jobs, etc, etc.

The show is not sexist. It's never directly said anything about one gender being better than the other. But the show is far more female-orientated, and with female orientation, we will generally see stuff from a more female perspective.

While I will admit that having a show where almost all the protagonists are male, and most of the females are looked at in a negative light would bring about quite the shitstorm, this show isn't really doing anything wrong.

Sometimes it's important to decide what is important, and what isn't. What you should laugh at, or get offended by. I don't think, at least not yet, this is something to get worked up over.

This was very well written, thumbs up.

(lets not forget the female villans, suchs as nightmare moon, trixie, queen crysalis etc etc) Most of them as well turned good thou

• Brohoof 1

ore 60-70% for girls and 40-30% for boys

Woah, I'd DEFINITELY disagree there :P

While the show is written to be a nice show that anyone can enjoy, I think its written pretty much 85% for the girls and 15% for males. While they view the male fanbase as a nice bonus, they still need to aim the show at the younger girls as that's where the actual money comes from and that is the biggest fact.

Hence why everything is slathered in heart symbols on the show, like the train.

Its not that they're intentionally trying to write things that boys CAN'T enjoy, its just that they need to maintain a young girl focus first to push those toys.

• Brohoof 2

Woah, I'd DEFINITELY disagree there :P

While the show is written to be a nice show that anyone can enjoy, I think its written pretty much 85% for the girls and 15% for males. While they view the male fanbase as a nice bonus, they still need to aim the show at the younger girls as that's where the actual money comes from and that is the biggest fact.

Its not that they're intentionally trying to write things that boys CAN'T enjoy, its just that they need to maintain a young girl focus first to push those toys.

lol tbh i wanted to write that (about the %). but i knew some would probbably get really offended if i said that. happy someone thinks the same :love:

Edited by Sugarcup

There are a few good male characters in the show, like Spike or Big Mac, but the vast majority of the show's cast is female.

I completely agree. If MLP really is a show for all ages and genders, then there should be more well-developed male characters.

@Unlikeable Pony said:

This, sadly, is the problem. Even if anyone can watch MLP, the fact remains that it's a show targeted towards little girls and marketed towards them. The writers must focus on their target audience.

Edited by RedFireDrgn
  • Brohoof 1

This was very well written, thumbs up.

(lets not forget the female villans, suchs as nightmare moon, trixie, queen crysalis etc etc) Most of them as well turned good thou

Actually, I edited my post to mention that a few minutes ago. I have a little bit of a bad habit to really quickly type out a post, post it, and then re-read over it and gradually improve it. It means that people will see a really crappy version in the beginning, so I should probably work on that. :derp:

Actually, I edited my post to mention that a few minutes ago. I have a little bit of a bad habit to really quickly type out a post, post it, and then re-read over it and gradually improve it. It means that people will see a really crappy version in the beginning, so I should probably work on that. :derp:

lol i must have quoted before you edited it. sorry :please: