Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Non-canon pets yay nor neigh ?

Tesla

7 users have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for your OC to have a pet that is not mentioned in the show?

• Yeah! why not
    • Absolutely not!

okay so i have a pet for my OC called Nova she is a fox squirrel like the ones from 'nausicaa of the valley of the wind' 

here shes is:

sig-4267425.20151206_031644.jpgIsn't she cute :pinkie:  :wub:

i've had a few people tell me that i shouldn't have a pet that isn't cannon :okiedokielokie:  :confused:  so, i ask, what is your opinion? 

:comeatus:  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Aren't the vast majority of OC's not canon in any way whatsoever already? With that being the case, then them having a non-canon pet fits them perfectly in my book. Equestria is a fantasy world, lottsa things could be there. Just say your OC's pet has not been properly discovered in the show yet. 

• Brohoof 2

Eh, well it makes your OC look less believable.

That's how I determine a good OC: Could it believably appear in MLP without a problem?

Having a creature that is copyrighted to another company and appears in a different universe as a pet is a bit of a problem. But my philosophy is always ultimately, "Just do what you want and have fun".

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

not all pets have to be cannon but if you want it to be cannon go right ahead no one is going to stop you its your choice and you do it.

it wold be awesome to see that awesome cute pet you designed on the show.

My character has a magic enchanted robot for a pet. It's very feasible and makes sense for the character. So much so that I was able to keep it for Equestrian Empire with a bit of minor change. They're very strict to show canon and they were fine with it for the most part.

While that's a pretty big stretch for a squirrel as far as looks go, you could probably get into Equestrian Empire with it too. I don't think your pet is non canon, just non canon looking. You might not wanna cross two species. It might be more believable then.

Edited by bronislav84

While that's a pretty big stretch for a squirrel as far as looks go, you could probably get into Equestrian Empire with it too. I don't think your pet is non canon, just non canon looking. You might not wanna cross two species. It might be more believable then.

It's not a straight up original hybrid. It's a species from a Hayao Miyazaki movie.

tumblr_mlgxofv6qK1qdu17wo2_500.jpg

• Brohoof 1

They should be a thing.

There is also the idea of it being your familiar if your oc is a unicorn or alicorn. Luna created the Tanibus after alll. Others could probably create them too tho probably not as powerful. 

(I'd probably give my oc a "tamed" timberwolf XD)

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...