Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In a survival situation would you eat human flesh?

Member Berry

Cannibalism has lead to an outbreak of Kuru among the tribal regions of Papua New Guinea. If memory serves from anthropology class, mad cow disease is similar and was caused by forced cannibalism amongst livestock.

I don't think cannibalism is morally wrong, just gross. People can have gods-know-what all in their bodies and whatnot. If I had to, I'd be sitting there overcooking it, remembering well that Kuru is a disease caused by a prion that cannot be cooked out of food. 

I'd probably try to wait it out as long as possible.

• Brohoof 2

Absolutely. I wouldn't kill people with the solie intention of eating them, but if someone attacked me or tried to steal from me, and I killed them in self defence, then I certainly wouldn't waste the meat.

Hm.... Humans may taste like chicken so I might do it.

I also really like it how people in this thread are like "I would do it" but in reality if they had the chance I guarantee you most of the people here would not eat someone.

Edited by Zach

I think so, I'm not adverse of eating unusual stuff, so, I doubt human flesh is beyond my palate given the situation. Of course, I wouldn't kill my fellow survivors to eat, but if someone dies, I'll be all for it, and I would even suggest they do the same with my corpse if I die 

Only as an absolute last resort and even then it would depend on how the person died and how long they have been dead. If the corpse is crawling with maggots I am probably not going to eat it as it is probably littered with various disease causing bacteria and parasites which has a good shot of killing me in a fate far far worse than starvation which in and of itself isn't pleasant.

Nope, because there's bacteria in human meat that messes with your brain and drives you insane

Actually they are deformed proteins called "prions" that mess up the brain and they aren't present in all humans, basically eating people who do have it gives the victim essentially the human version of "Mad Cow Disease." Thankfully it is far from guaranteed, but is something to keep in mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt%E2%80%93Jakob_disease

• Brohoof 1

It's easy to say yes or no, when your belly is full right now.

But if you're that hungry, almost on the verge of death, you would probably even eat yourself.

Under my sane state of mind.. I would never eat human flash.. :eww:  (Finally a chance to use this emote xD)

But it is uncertain if I'd change my mind under some traumatic or desperate situation.. :wat:

Though come to think of it.. There aren't many circumstances where you'd have no choice but to eat human meat to survive..

Trapped on a deserted Island? There's sea life to eat.. Fish, Crustaceans.. even sea weed..

Plane crash in a snowy barren land? I guess that's pretty desperate.. but I'm sure there's some better

resources if i travel in a direction where I'm likely to find food and water..

Lost in a desert? I won't need to worry about eating human flesh if I've already died from dehydration :lol:

My history teacher said, ''Hunger makes you do crazy things''. In the Oregon Trail, the people would eat their own family members if they were hungry enough. I would do the same if there was no food around. Though I would probably try to eat some things that some people don't think are edible, like tree bark. I saw Rhett and Link eat tree bark ice cream sandwiches on Good Mythical Morning, though I'd have to know which ones are edible. If I don't, I'd eat humans.

No. I'm sure there is really bad germs in it.

I'm sure OP doesn't mean a survival situation involving disease, and Food for Louis ate raw roadkill before, and thought a fox tasted good, so meat of our kind should probably not be bad either. Though eating humans is pretty messed up.

Yes, as long as the person is not alive, and hasn't been dead for long. I'll be honest, once my body realizes a threat, or something that could hurt my survival, my mind just kinda turns calculative. I don't panic, instead being unnaturally calm as opposed to whats normal in that situation, and I pretty much start seeing and thinking with numbers, figuring out the plan with the least amount of risk, only doing what's necessary, and become "emotionally dead" for the time being. I believe it's adrenaline that causes me to "change", ah believe.

In anycase, before I start going off on a tangent, ah would indeed eat a dead human if I was either starving, or no immediate source of food could be found in my surroundings.

I would only eat human flesh if i'm stranded at sea and i'm out of my stash of fish i've caught from the sea, and even then i'd have a a hard time eating what used to be my friends.

And if i'm not stranded at sea then i'll eat leaves, or sand or anything that's not human flesh, and even if my friends tried to eat me, i'd offer them something from myself and only kill them in self defense as a last resort.

• Brohoof 1