Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc The Dark Millennium - a combat & exploration RP - updated rules for joining

Hederik

@@Once In A Blue Moon

Perhaps not much is known about the purpose of being schooled in general, but the Cadets (well, most of them) are intelligent ponies capable of figuring out that there is probably going to be some point at which all their training and abilities are going to be put to use. So that pathfinder comment is perfectly fine.

As to brushing past non-important matters, I'll admit I'm a little at a loss as to what else to squeeze in before really beginning the action, but I'll figure something out. Such attempts at postponying are due to the fact I expect one more player to join the crew sometime this week and I'd like them to participate in the action as it starts.

I'm actually quite flattered by the interest the Dark Millenium is getting, even though it is unwaveringly a bitter duty to decline applications. And I'm always happy to answer questions regarding the setting to help the entire experience be that much smoother.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

postponying

post-34886-0-60730300-1465554704_thumb.png

I'll admit I'm a little at a loss as to what else to squeeze in

I'm fine with some more world-building; be it characters, lore, a verbal confrontation or whatever else seems to fit (you actually have a genuine excuse to put the characters in a lecture hall and talk at them, with the option of questions at the end, although you may wish to save that for a flashback or similar to 'remind' our characters of relevant things at the right time.)

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Once In A Blue Moon

Does "not amused" count as a cringe? I'm going to count it and let it make my day. I certainly have been giggling stupidly about it long enough.

I'd have to catch up on my Sun Tzu before I feel confident in describing a lecture in the art of war, but there is a touch of inspiration in what you said. Commencing writing.

SELF-EDITED A FEW HOURS LATER TO ESCAPE THE AWESOME MERGING TOOL

The post is progressing nicely, but at 3k characters I still have at least one paragraph to finish and my shift is ending, so I'll most likely post it in a few hours, once I get back home and find a moment to spare.

Edited by Hederik

@@Colenso Rivers 

I didn't, and it's a valid question. Most of the pegasi are participating in the flight training, while there's more sparring, perhaps some muster for the other two races (species? subtypes?). That part will most likely be skipped over in actual roleplay, although it might yet change. Towards the evening, there are more 'brainy' activities, including a history/literature class dealing with pre-Equestrian history (not entirely a new topic to your characters, and one upon which you have done some reading in preparation for what is to be discussed). The late evening is unscheduled, possibly leaving you some free time.

I see. And given my characters interest in knowledge- Period, I'm going to take the liberty and say he's read all that's available and seemingly reliable that he could get his hooves on. Now, I don't want to post out of order, it kinda screws with the rhythm.

@@Colenso Rivers 

Very well. I'm warning you though, this is pretty much ancient history (it was more than a thousand years even in the canon Equestria and we're a good space of time later). Aside from variants and speculations around the story on the basis of which the Mane Six staged a play for Hearthswarming Eve there isn't much to know. I will welcome active participation in the lecture, however.

And the rhythm was always so - and won't be. But have it however you wish, there is no rush.

(edited)
Does "not amused" count as a cringe? I'm going to count it and let it make my day. I certainly have been giggling stupidly about it long enough.

Linguistically perfidious pony puns shall be answered with fourth-wall breaking references:

"Did they use these for wargaming, do you think?" She asked, looking over the model buildings and ponies, "... against mythical creatures?" she added, looking at the dragon. She lined up a number of ponies in front of it, the lead unicorn levitating a giant warhammer by its side in an aggressive pose, chuckling at the spectacle.

I'd have to catch up on my Sun Tzu before I feel confident in describing a lecture in the art of war

Know yourself and know your enemy? You covered that at the start of the introductory post. Don't fight unless you can win? Heavily implied. I'm sure he said more (something about when they do their washing up) but those were the bits I remember, so you seem to be doing so quite merrily already.

Linguistically perfidious pony puns shall be answered with fourth-wall breaking references:

"Did they use these for wargaming, do you think?" She asked, looking over the model buildings and ponies, "... against mythical creatures?" she added, looking at the dragon. She lined up a number of ponies in front of it, the lead unicorn levitating a giant warhammer by its side in an aggressive pose, chuckling at the spectacle.

Oh it is on. Fair, mah man, carve us a dozen d6s, with a few directional ones.

Know yourself and know your enemy? You covered that at the start of the introductory post. Don't fight unless you can win? Heavily implied. I'm sure he said more (something about when they do their washing up) but those were the bits I remember, so you seem to be doing so quite merrily already.

So you see. The easy ones are done, the harder ones not known well enough, and anyway I've never been the best in writing a few hundred words about nothing, useful as such ability would have been throughout the course of education. And anyway we have a better alternative planned already, so it's a moot point.

Following a friend's advice, I've remade the second post of this thread into a database of all characters present in the Dark Millennium, which I will try and keep up to date.

(edited)
Following a friend's advice, I've remade the second post of this thread into a database of all characters present in the Dark Millennium, which I will try and keep up to date.

Carto Sketch, a pegasus mare

She's an earth pony, not a pegasus pony - hence her little inferiority complex masked by banter (now that I've had a bit of time to work with her character and see how she fits in, I'll probably update her character page with more detail.)

@@Hederik, Better late than never I suppose.

Name: Silver Heart
Race: Unicorn
Gear:
Light body armor.
Medical Supplies
A metal weight attached by a chain to a smaller weight. (A telekinetic weapon that is used much like a flail. The smaller weight is gripped in a Unicorns telekinesis which allows them to swing the heavier weight with more force than they would otherwise produce.

Bio: Silver Heart grew up in an orphanage. She spent her early years hoping that a family would adopt her. Eventually, like many other orphans, that hope died with age. To keep herself sane, Silver started finding ways to keep herself busy. This usually consisted of caring for the sick and injured children. In her teenage years, Silver spent her spare time acting like a sister figure to the younger ponies in the orphanage, thus she fulfilled her desire to feel loved and needed. As she grew older Silver started to study medicine and healing magic, something that she found quite fun. When she wasn't helping to take care of the other orphans or studying medicine she would walk around the Valley exploring every where she was allowed to go.

News of her hobbies eventually reached the recruiters for the Academy and Silver was drafted to be trained as a combat medic.

Personality: Silver tries to come off as a cheerful and friendly pony though sometimes the realities of life get her down.

She suffers from some anger and abandonment issues. At a relatively young age she was told by some of the older orphans that many of the foals left at the orphanage were unwanted by their parents. While she tried to ignore it, the thought that she had been abandoned by her parents never really left her subconscious.

Combat style: Silver prefers to keep a distance between herself and her foes. She supports her allies with her magic while she takes advantage of the range if her weapon.

Appearance: Silver Heart is a mare of average height. She's slightly underweight for a Cadet. Her coat is a nearly white grey and her mane is a deep purple. Her mane is shoulder length and wavy.

Cutie mark: A green Caduceus in the shape of a tree over a red heart.

Good for you Silver, it's a very nice place to hold membership, a bit of effort and skill is required. (They only accepted me because I was the only other pony trying to get in when they wanted to start) but from what I see you show promise.

• Brohoof 1

They only accepted me because I was the only other pony trying to get in when they wanted to start

I won't lie; I had my my doubts allowing you to participate in the RP. I'm glad I did though, as you're proving a rather good player, despite the occasional grammatical slip.

• Brohoof 1

Good for you Silver, it's a very nice place to hold membership, a bit of effort and skill is required. (They only accepted me because I was the only other pony trying to get in when they wanted to start) but from what I see you show promise.

&

Welcome aboard - good to see another person in the group.

Thanks.

I had my my doubts allowing you to participate in the RP. I'm glad I did though

Wow this is a Deja Vu moment for me.

Ok, so this post mutilated my WPM, but there just wasn't anything to add.

Wow this is a Deja Vu moment for me.

Heh, I forgot that.

Also, when has this thread grown into 70+ posts? Children these days...

(edited)
Ok, so this post mutilated my WPM, but there just wasn't anything to add.

No special effort for post #42?

Regardless, I think the armoury scene is done (barring conversation) unless @@Colenso Rivers has anything they want their character to do / get. Or the characters run into @@SilverHeart's character down there, I suppose.