Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Drago Ryder

Illiad Easle

This thread has been closed for inactivity. The contents are preserved below.

OOC thread: https://mlpforums.co...tural-exchange/

@@Drago Ryder

(To start, a bit of World building. If you have read Five Score it is only slightly different from the premise.)

It had been a few years since the spawn of Tartarus had attacked. The Trojan Empire had managed to hold them off but Equestria did not fare as well. In a particularly fierce battle Discord suddenly turned against his reforming, throwing an immobilized Celestia to her death. It was then that the Empire pushed it's offensive, managing to defeat the spawn and seal the gates again. Their leader, Consul Illiad Easle fought Discord himself and in an attack that had 1 in 8000 odds of success, he managed to kill Discord at the expense of his own life. The divine smiled upon his sacrifice and returned him to life as an alicorn. (Partly to replace the now missing Celestia and partly because he did more to deserve it that Twilight ever did.) Under his guidance the two nations were united once more and there was peace in the land.

Illiad Easle was not a normal pony to begin with. He fled persecution for being Empathic in Canterlot, he took Luna's place as the balance of good and evil, and he rose to lead a nation despite said nation not liking unicorns all that much. Then he became an alicorn. Illiad now stood just a bit taller than Celestia did, his hair flowed in a similar manner, rolling lazily like sand dunes in a desert. His new wings were impressive, but he didn't use them much and preferred to keep them beneath his robes. He continued to serve in his capacity as Consul of Troy and had negotiated a treaty between Troy and Equestria to bring the two nations closer together. Despite his short time as an alicorn, the potential of immortality had already begun to weigh on his mind. Many of those he cared about had died or disappeared in the battle against Discord. He decided to start a new cultural exchange, similar to the one he had participated in before he entered politics.

He was surprised one day to discover that an applicant had listed their race as alicorn, and he knew this wasn't Luna again. He decided he would pair himself with this new alicorn. If they really were immortal, he would possibly get a good friend for the ages out of this exchange.

Good evening Miss Fukamoto,

I am Consul Illiad Easle of Troy, the monitor of the cultural exchange. As I too am an alicorn, it seems only fair that I be paired with you in this exchange. As may be expected I currently reside in Troy, Troy, in the Consul's mansion. To describe myself, I am about as tall as Celestia was with a now sandy coat and light brown mane/tail. My mark is a three cross ruler, quill, and paintbrush, symbolizing my talents in plotting, writing, and painting respectively. I used to work as an artist designing security measures and similar designs before Luna had me enter politics. I must say it is much less interesting than it sounds. I look forward to hearing about you and your life, and I hope you can forgive the ineloquence of my written word. 

~Illiad Easle

With the letter written he warped it right to the nearest post office to the recipient and ensured that all the exchange paperwork would be taken care of. He eagerly awaited her response and sincerely hoped that his letter had not changed her mind about participating.

(You receive a notification from Illiad Easle stating your acceptance and informing you that you have been paired with him, an alicorn whose age is simply listed as Old Enough in the neighboring nation of Troy, it instructs you to read the attached letter from him and to respond in kind.)(Questions can be asked in quotations or in the OOC thread linked above.)

Edited by Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

Dawn wake up in her bed room and saw the mailmare delivering something to her house. "Huh, wonder if that's my acceptance letter." She thought, as she exited her house. The clothes she wore weren't really that fancy. Her outfit consisted of a green robe with a green vine design. After opening and reading the letter, a smal grin grew on her face and she happily wrote back to this Illiad.

Good evening Mister Illiad,

As you may guess, my name is Dawn Fukomoto. While I understand alicorn's tend to be royalty or at the very least in the upper class, I am neither. I run a shop in the small town of Ponyville where I sell the sculptures I make with my magic. I'm not as tall as a regular alicorn, but I am taller than most regular ponies. My coat is closest to pink clay. My mane and tail are grey and purple. My wings share the shape color as my coat, and become a more solid shade of purple the closer to the tip you get. My cutie mark is a snowflake to represent my abilities with ice magic and the amount of detail I put into my art. I can't wait to meet you and hope to learn so much from you."

~Dawn Fukamoto

The mare smiled slightly and sent the letter to the post office. She then headed back into her house and began to pack what she would need.

Edited by Drago Ryder

@@Drago Ryder,

Illiad received Dawn's letter with a slight grin on his face, slightly bigger than when he tried Butter Beer for the first time but not nearly as big as when he realized that as an alicorn he could drink as much of it as he wanted.  

Good Evening Miss Dawn,

Given your size I would assume you are a natural born alicorn rather than ascended like Twilight, Cadence, and I. (I don't know about Luna.) I can appreciate your humble nature, it will certainly be a breath of fresh air after all the stuffy politicians and foreign nobles I have to put up with each day. I almost wish I could go back to my old life, if only Discord hadn't snapped. Anyway, your art sounds quite interesting, I still get to design on occasion but nearly as often as I would like. My doors are open to you whenever you would like to visit, unfortunately I am not as able to visit you as I would like, leading a country doesn't lend itself to much vacation time, but I am sure I can spare a day or two, hopefully.

~Illiad Easle. 

@Illiad Easle

Dawn noticed the new letter from Illiad and as she read it, a few parts did surprise/amuse her, and she blushed slightly when he complimented her. It didn't take long for her to find some parchment and write a reply.

Dear Mr.Easle,

You would be correct in assuming that I am a naturally born Alicorn. I also thank you for the compliment. It sounds like you have an interesting life and I'm happy that you are my partner for this cultural exchange. I know it's on such sort notice, but do you think I could possibly visit you at the end of the next week. I would love to meet you in person. If it isn't possible for the proper arrangements to be made, please notify me of a possible time that would best suit you.

~Dawn Fukamoto

Edited by Drago Ryder

@@Drago Ryder,

As Illiad read the newest letter he pulled his calendar to himself, and sighed at how cluttered his daily life had become. He did what he could to move things about but much remained in his daily agendas.

Evening Miss Fukamoto

I suppose the end of next week works as well for me as any, so long as you don't mind getting a up close look at how our government functions. I won't have too many obligations and will still be able to show you about the nation, answer any questions you may have, etc. Hopefully you find that satisfactory, when you do come I would recommend a cloak or similar full body covering. It get's awfully cold here at night and it helps keep the sand out of your coat and wings.

~Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

Dawn read over Illiad's letter as she sat at her table. The end of the week was free for the most part and a small smile graced her lips. She then set to writing him a reply.

Dear Mr. Easle,

Thank you for the offer, and I will be able to visit at your requested time. I can't wait to meet you, and who knows. I may be able to help with your daily duties. I will be sure to pack accordingly.

~Dawn Fukamoto

@@Drago Ryder,

A slight smile came to Illiad's face.

Evening Miss Fukamoto,

I am pleased to hear your acceptance. Enclosed is a train ticket that will get you here on the fastest available route. Believe me, the train is much more enjoyable than flying the distance. I look forward to meeting you in person, I will be sure to greet you at customs when you arrive, be sure that you do not bring any poisons or antimagic and you should be able to pass through without a problem.

~Illiad Easle 

@Illiad Easle

Dawn read the letter and a small smile graves her lips. "Well, that made things much easier." She thought. The alicorn didn't know whether or not to write a reply, but figured that there was nothing much else that she could say besides thank you. The alicorn then spent the next few days packing her remaining bags and was soon on a train bound for a new land, at least for her, and countless new experiences.

Edited by Drago Ryder
  • Brohoof 1

@@Drago Ryder,

Illiad had been notified when the ticket voucher he sent had been redeemed for the train fare, so he knew which trains she would be on and when she would arrive at the Troy station. He arrived at the station a few minute early just to ensure that he was there when she arrived.

Dawn took the standard Equestrian train from Ponyville to Dodge JCT where she was instructed to change trains. The second train was a larger metal machine similar in design to the crystal empire train, but in bronze and black. This train wasn't as comfortable as the Equestrian train, but she could tell that it was traveling much faster, so rides on it weren't nearly as long.

(If she would like to explore the train before it arrives I would be happy to provide additional details.) 

@Illiad Easle

It didn't take long for Dawn to arrive and Dodge Junction and she quickly boarded her second train. After a few seconds, the alicorn could feel the train lurch forward and head off towards her final destination. Of course, she was wearing a jacket in order to hide her wings. It was best if other ponies thought that she was a simple unicorn. When she got tired of looking out the window, she stood up and began to explore the train, curious about how it worked and who was traveling to Troy.

@@Drago Ryder,

There were few others on the train with her, the cars were a bit compact with the aisles only wide enough for two ponies to barely fit side by side. It was clear the train had been designed for efficiency over comfort. Out the windows the utter lack of scenery that made up the mild west past swiftly by. The sun was starting to set and Dawn could already feel the area grow a bit cooler. Of the few other ponies in the car only one was awake, a silvery grey pegasus who felt old despite not entirely looking it. He was sorting through a mailbag. On a sign by the door was a clock that counted down to the train's arrival, it read 1 hour.

@Illiad Easle

Dawn didn't really know how to strike up a conversation with the silver Pegasus, and sat back down in her chair. "I wonder what Illiad is like." She thought to herself. She didn't really know that much about Troy, but figured that it was similar to Equestria. Her mind then turned back towards the silver Pegasus and an idea a popped into her mind. "Are you heading for Troy?" She asked, after heading back to where she saw him.

@@Drago Ryder,

The pegasus was a bit surprised by Dawn's sudden interest in him. "Oh, Me? Only for a quick layover as I exchange some mail at the post office before I fly back home to Deltrot." He then looked over at Dawn, his eyes growing a bit wider as he saw her. "My, you're an interesting creature aren't you? You must be the alicorn that Illiad's meeting with. Dawn was it? My name's Swift Message, I've been friends with Illiad since he first moved to Deltrot from Canterlot." A slight smile came to the pegasus' face as he extended his hoof in greeting.  

@Illiad Easle

Dawn was surprised by the fact that the silver Pegasus was a friend of Illiad, and age couldn't help but blush slightly at his compliment. "Thanks, and yes. I'll be meeting with him when we get to Troy." She said, giving a slight smile. "If you don't mind me asking, what's he like?"

@@Drago Ryder,

Swift's smile faltered a bit as he retracted his unshaken hoof. But his smile returned as he started talking again. "Illiad's very kind, he cares deeply for those around him and close to him. Since he fought Discord... he lost a few good friends in that fight, we all did. He still cares about us but since he moved to Troy we haven't been able to see much of him. If you don't mind too much I'd like to join you in meeting him, it's been a while since I last saw him... In other news, he is also really smart. He loves to answer questions, so the more you ask the quicker he'll get comfortable around you." 

(Whoops. Didn't see the last part of your post. XD)

@Illiad Easle

Dawn smiled slightly and figured that that was what she should've expected as an answer. Of course, her mood did sadden a bit at the mention of Discord, but her cheerful demeanor quickly returned. As for his own question, she figured that it wouldn't hurt if he was a friend. "I don't think that would be a problem." She said. "Thanks for the advice, as well."

@@Drago Ryder,

"You're quite welcome. It looks like we'll be pulling into the station soon, you should probably make sure you have your stuff together, it will make customs easier." 

As the train approached the station the city of Troy came into view. A tall sandstone and marble wall surrounded the city with only a few buildings here and there outside the city walls. With the sun fully set the lights of the city glowed like a giant pot of gold in the midst of the dark desert. Dawn could feel the train slowing as it approached the station.

@Illiad Easle

Dawn nodded slightly, before heading back to where she was sitting. She then made sure that all of what she had brought to Troy was packed and put on the white coat and hat she had brought in order to avoid getting sick from the cold temperature of the area.

@@Drago Ryder,

Illiad didn't know what to think as the train pulled into the station in front of him. The thermometer said the temperature was about 60F but it felt much warmer. For the first time since Discord he actually felt nervous, but he didn't let that show on his face. Beside him a crystal looking mare stood, "Don't worry," she said, "I'm sure she'll like you."

Illiad didn't respond, he took a deep breath and waited for Dawn to get off the train. He hoped he would be able to recognize her easily.

Edited by Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

Dawn sighed and tried to calm her nerves. "It's ok. Just act natural." She thought, before exiting the train and headed through customs. When that was taken care of, she began to look for Illiad, scanning the crowd for another alicorn. "I wonder where he could be."

@@Drago Ryder,

Illiad felt a familiar presence, or rather, an utter lack of presence. "Swift?" He turned his head towards the center of the emotional black hole that was his extremely extroverted friend. He didn't spot him immediately but decided to head in his direction, mobility allowed him to look around more anyway. The groups heading to and from the train allowed him to pass by without any trouble, quickly getting out of his way as he approached.

Swift was looking about for Illiad as he walked with Dawn, being a native he got through customs easily and he waited for her to get through before proceeding. Then he too felt a familiar presence, there was no mistaking the bright sun of emotional energy that was his introverted friend. "Hey Dawn, He's this way. I can feel it." The crowd did not part for them as easily but it was still courteous in letting them pass though.

Eventually each found their way to the other and they met with a firm hoofgrab. "It's good to see you again Odys," "Likewise Easle." They briefly caught up, speaking quickly and sometimes non-verbally but it was clear that both were enjoying the interaction. Eventually Illiad looked over at Dawn, a brief flash of surprise crossed his face. "OH, I'm terribly sorry. You must be Dawn correct?"

@Illiad Easle

Dawn followed Swift and eventually saw Illiad. He looked just like he had said and a slight smile formed on her lips as he noticed her. The alicorn then gave a slight nod. "Yes, I am Dawn." She said. "I actually met Swift on the way here and he said he wanted to see you."

@@Drago Ryder,

"So he explained," To be truthful, Illiad did not know how exactly to proceed, he hadn't given a tour of Troy since the last cultural exchange and well... those were different times. "Is there anything you wish to know before we go? You do have all your luggage correct? Did you enjoy your trip here?" It was clear that Illiad was nervous and was trying anything he could think of to get the conversation moving.

@Illiad Easle

Dawn gave a small smile and nodded. "Don't worry. I have everything and the trip was wonderful." She said. "I honestly can't wait to learn more about Troy. Are there any major differences between the laws here and those of Equestria? I don't want to get in trouble on my first day here."The alicorn noticed that Illiad was nervous, so she tried her best to calm his nerves.

@@Drago Ryder,

A slight smile returned to Illiad's face. Though Trojan law was not his favorite subject it was something he knew about. "The basis for all of our laws is that you are free to do anything, so long as your actions do not restrict the freedoms of others. Really the difference between us and Equestria is how we went about codifying the law, but to a large extent the laws you would come across are the same. It has been a while since I was last in Equestria so I don't know how it has changed, but if you follow the laws you are familiar with you should be fine, from what I've heard Equestria is a bit stricter than here." His smile grew a bit as he got more into his element.

The crystal pony came up beside Illiad, she extended her hoof in greeting to Dawn. "My name is Selena, I'm Illiad's assistant and adopted daughter of sorts. I'll be showing you around whenever Illiad gets stuck in government business. You seem like a decent pony so far so you should be fine when it comes to the law."