Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gemma (fanfic in the works)

Aurora Rains

Male voice “I've never seen anything like that before. Is it normal for a filly just born”

Female voice “What does it mean?”

Male voice “I'm not sure”

I don't know why I remember such young memories. Don't think it's really normal. But I still remember what my parents said the first time they saw me. Getting your cutie mark late is normal. But to be born with one was never heard of. Eyes don't work so well when you're that young. Only the things closest to your face truly come into focus. Now I don't remember everything from those days. My parents tried to enroll me into Celestia's magic school but I was turned down. Not because I didn't have the skills to perform their test but because I refused to even try the tests. I didn't want to be there with everyone staring at me. I get enough of that back home in Manehatten. The filly born marked, wish I had known at the time what that mark meant. If I had maybe I would have done their tests and stayed there. It would have been the smarter choice but I was young. Often we don't make the smarter choices when were young.

gemmamir_by_aurorarains-da8sn1z.jpg

Moons passed and I did what I could to help out around our home. I remember the younger filly next door getting her cutie mark. The Seeds family was so excited for her. It did make me happy also. She was getting picked on for some time. Although she did seam to get a confidence boost after coming back from a visit to her family in the country. I should have stood up for her at least once. Well at least she knew what her mark meant. The day she got her mark I was standing in my room just staring at my own in the mirror, hating it. A splash of stars in the constellation of Gemma. My mother had decided to name me after it. Even in my name I couldn't get away from it. Mother came into my room after the seeds left to tell me about their daughter's mark. Mother opened my door without knocking and started going on and on about how the youngest seeds was destined to be an amazing hair stylist and my anger started to grow. I hated myself and the mark I was born with. The mark that meant nothing and the name that reminded me of that every day. The feeling swelled in me to the point that I couldn't even hear my mother's voice any longer. It encompassed me surging then exploding a thousand brilliant and burning stars filling the room. A little voice in my head told me to close my eyes but I couldn't. They stayed open and wide looking at the wonder I just created. Then the pain as the light seared into my sight. Instinct took over and I closed my eyes and teleported. I'd learned to teleport at a young age to get away from those who would stare at me now my own staring has forced me to do it again.

I'm not sure how much time passed before my heart slowed and I calmed down. The tears rolled down my face from the pain in my eyes. I didn't think of a real location when I used the spell. I panicked and the only thing I could think of was the stories mother use to read me. Of the mysterious dark forests with their tall trees. Little fillies should be scared of such stories but I always wanted to see them. A place away from other ponies. Away from watching and judging eyes. Slowly I lifted my lids. They felt heavy and strange on my face. My ears pivoted trying to catch sounds around me. Birds? There are no wild birds flying around Manehatten. The sound of a snapping branch forced me to open my eyes fully and swing my head in the direction.

“For the love of Celestia, I can't see!”

I strained to focus my eyes blurs slowly flowing into stars dancing across my my vision. Threw them I saw it propped up on it's front legs. The news papers had pictures of them and stories of what happened at the wedding in Canterlot. The changeling snarled at me and pulled itself up to three legs before falling down to it's side in a heap. I could have walked away. Just like I did when the little Seed filly was getting teased. Not only was this a changeling but no pony was here to see. It looked so helpless lying there. Was it the last of them left? My head start to pain me from concentrating to see threw my starry vision. There was only pain in my heart at that moment so I was in no danger of it trying to feed on me. But it would need to eat. Other than love what could it eat. My head swirled with the memories of those old fairy tales. The one about the hen and her eggs kept playing over and over again in my mind. How in olden times pony folk believed the eggs to be filled with love and would use them in potions because of it. I tilted my ears and listened for the birds from earlier. Their nest was small but not to easy to pull down with a simply levitation. Their squawking made my head hurt even worse. I checked the nest out, ok only eggs no chicks. That was a relief. I placed the nest in front of the changeling then backed away managing to trip over the foliage in the process. It's eyes snapped open with a fierce growl and focused on me.

“I'm not going to hurt you. I got you some eggs to eat, there in the nest. It's not your normal food but please just try it,” my head was slowly getting beyond the point I could bear, my eyes losing their focus giving way to the stars allowing me to see only the faint outlines of my surroundings.

Closing my eyes I waited expecting it to find the strength and lunge at me.

Slowly the growling softened then stopped. Next was the sound of the egg shells cracking open and the last protest of the birds as they flew off to build another nest and start over again. The breath released from me in an exhausted shudder. My body shook partially from the chill in the air and mostly from the fear of my situation.  

to be continued...

Edited by Aurora Rains
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm back after some hard times and hope to be able to get back to this story.  Took some time drawing and remembering where I was with everything including coming up with some new adventures to throw in.  To say thank you for not deleting this story on me during my hard times here is a currently drawing of Gemma.

gemma_by_aurorarains-d9vag7v.jpg

It seams silly and I don't understand why but as I stood there eyes shut shuddering in the chilled spring air I began to cry. My hind legs gave out and I heaved down into a sitting position. The sound of the little beast eating suddenly stopped. It took several deep long breaths then came towards me it's wings vibrating. That horrible sound droning in my ears getting louder and louder as it got closer. Soon I could feel it's breath on my face and smell the raw eggs lingering there. The buzzing stopped and my mother's own voice rang in my ears.

“Is there no one little pony that you love? Your mind is nothing but solitude. Even we have care for each other. But what do you have?”

My eyes flung open despite the pain. Silhouettes and stars were all they allowed me to see but I still recognized the outline of my mother standing there looking down at me as she always did when I disappointed her. Her face nothing but shadows but I could see it in my mind. The look of disapproval she would give me for not socializing. I was back up to my feet and backing away. The ground so distant and foreign to me each rock and stick coming up to turn my hoofs this way and that till this time I was down again this time on my side with force. I forced my eyes shut blocking out her shadow as it creased the grass to stand over me.

“They were calling me a blank flank and you just stood there.”

The voice of the seeds girl made me try to force my eyes open again. The shadow of my mother was gone. Something the size of a filly stood in her place instead.

“Babs?” My voice shook.

“They called me blank flank and cry baby and you just stood there starring at me. You coulda said something, anything! Why didn't you help me?!”

She charged right up to me her snout right to mine with an indigent snort. Eggs? I felt my temper rising as I pushed myself up to my hoofs. Pain didn't matter at this moment. I was not going to be this things play toy.

“How dare you,” my voice was calmer than I expected. “I fed you and showed you sympathy when anypony else coming threw might have just left you where you lay. Some maybe even worse and this is how you repay me?”

The buzzing sound returned so it must have shifted back to it's true form. I listened close to the sound and kept walking towards it. At this point the shadows giving way to nothing but the stars. I was to angry to even try and focus my eyes any longer. It wasn't the steady droning buzz like when it first approached me. This time it was sporadic and as before I could still hear the press of the grass under it's hoofs. The thought occurred to me that perhaps it can't fly due to injuries. As I spoke my voice slowly grew in volume.

“I may not be the kindest pony in Equestria but never would that give you or anypony else permission to go into my mind and use my memories against me. Do you understand me!”

The sound of it stumbling in front of me and I moved forward swiftly. My front right hoof managed to land on something that felt like gossamer. I think it might have been the membrane in one of the wings. It let out a cry and I stood my ground following the smell of egg to lower my snout to it's. Under my hoof I could feel a rip in the gossamer. This changeling was grounded that I now knew for sure.

“I, I don't understand,” it's voice sounded echoed back on its self as it stuttered.

“What don't you understand”

“How c, can you s, see?”

I paused. It should have attacked me at that moment but it didn't.

“We a, are both broken.”

I lifted my hoof from it's wing and closed my eyes turning my head away from it. There is no hiding it's seen inside me. Even bringing up my own mother couldn't stir enough love for it to feed it already knows I'm not normal.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

********************** Sorry it took so long been with a friend who is in the hospital.  Here is the latest addition to the story**************

The thought occurred and at first it made me grin. The grin further twisted into a smile and that smile burst forth into sudden rapacious laughter. I stepped back from the changeling stopping when my rump rested firmly against a tree using it to steady myself.

“I can't see!” The words spat from my mouth as the laughter finally faded my breath slowly returning to a normal pace. “I never have to see them again.” The elation over this was clear in my voice. I was no longer trying to force my eyes to focus rather listening to the world around me. My outburst had startled even the natural sounds of the forest into silence. All but one. The sound of the changeling climbing to it's feet and slowly now walking towards me.

“Never s see who?” It stopped a conversational distance from me. The voice sounded cautious but not as terrified as it had earlier.

I had to stop myself from another burst of laughter.

“The other ponies,” I smiled as I answered “I'll never again have to see their stares, their looks of sympathy over the broken pony, their looks of curiosity and stolen glances trying to look at the odd one. And I'll never have to look at another one of their cutie marks!” I almost shouted the last words. They bit at my mind and brought back memories of isolation. The changeling's breath caught in it's throat and it took a step back away from me.

“You ponies idolize your marks. Why h hate them like this?”

The question snapped me back to myself slightly. Is it possible this thing only read my surface thoughts and nothing deeper? I stood in silence for a moment deciding if it would be worth explaining or not. In the end I think the only reason I did was that I no longer cared. I explained about how special it is to find your talent and how the mark is normally a representation of that talent. A symbolization of ones true self. Being born with mine I never got the opportunity to explore and find what my talent is. It's the equivalent of having all free choice of who you will be ripped away from you. I explained about how my mother constantly pushed me because of it even when I wanted nothing to do with the areas of study she was putting before me and of how my father seamed to fear me. Random ponies I didn't know staring at me as I walk down the street and the whisperings as I walked by. Being expected stand with poise and elegance as I watched each and every pony that grew up around me get their marks. Watched the joy in their families eyes and the celebrations over their accomplishments. What did I get? Another lesson in magic or history and the stares of ponies I didn't even know. Friendships weren't worth making. The very few who accepted me as an individual and not just some curiosity always got pulled away by their parent. All my value was as a conversation piece at my mother's events.

We both sat in silence for some time after that. My body was numb from the memories I'd forced to the front of my mind by explaining what it was to be born the way I was. By this point I had stopped trying to fight the chill in the air and just let it soak in. I hadn’t noticed till then just how tired I was. If it wasn't for the tree I was braced against I would have been down on the forest floor again.

“Maybe they wh where just staring at your eyes?” It's voice was actually softened.

“Why would anyone be staring at my eyes?” I intended to put up more of a protest to it's question but my head was feeling heavy.

“Because they l look like the night sky.” It wasn't my imagination. The Changeling's voice was softer. Almost sympathetic.

“I'll never be able to see my real stars again.” The earth spun around me as sounds melded into each other. My legs gave way and the ground came up like a caress as I drifted off to sleep. The changeling racing towards me it's words fading off into the distance.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

*sorry for taking so long between updates.  Life has been chaos.  Here is another bit on the story.  Hoping to get some more done after I get some sleep*

The dreams came and went racing past my minds eye in an intricate waltz. My mother chastising me blending into fillies at school mocking. A swirl of motion and I'm standing at my entrance exam for Celestia's school of magic refusing to perform even the simplest of tasks then I'm staring at my own reflection as it's eyes narrow the grin twisted as it mocked me. When I woke the sound of morning birds filled the air. Something hard but warm and moving rested under my head. It was oddly comforting and I rolled my face against it keeping my sore eyes closed tightly.

“You w wake.”

Its voice reverberated from the warmth I was caressing with my face causing me to jump with a start. My eyes flung open and I immediately regretted it. The brightness of the day burned them causing such pain that a shriek left me breathless.

“Idiot”

Great, that the little beast didn't stutter on. I pivoted my head towards where it last was and stood myself as tall as possible. It was time for some answers and blinded or not I was going to get them.

“Alright you time to talk”, I put on my sternest face being careful to keep my eyes pressed tightly closed.

“W woof”, a laugh under toned its response.

“Don't you dare mock me! I have questions and you better answer them honestly. To start with why are you helping me? It's not like our races are exactly friends. Second what do you call yourself? It would be good to have a name for you other than it.” Tilting my head in its direction I listened carefully allowing my mane to fall over my face shadowing my shadowing my eyelids further.

It huffed at me and the leaves crunched under its feet as it moved up to me. After a moment I could smell the raw egg scent of it's breath on my muzzle.

“We are b both b b broken”, it drew out the words slowly emphasizing each one threw the stutters. “Neither of us b belong a anywhere.”

Something about those words hit me to the core. My demeanor softened and I lowered my head.

“Y you need name? C call me Max. Old n name means n nothing n now”, there was sorrow in its or I should say his voice.

At this moment I knew he was as much of a loner as I was. No ties to family and no one to care for him. We were the odd ones.  

“A blind unicorn and a flightless stuttering changeling. What a pair we are.” My head hung low enough to feel the edges of the grass.

“No b broken other ways. P pony who doesn't love a and Max who doesn't like to hurt”. There was a shame in his voice.

“When we first met you were good and hostile,” my voice had more bite in it than I intended. It made Max take a step away from me. I was no threat to him but he had no way of knowing that. At that moment in time I was useless and hopeless.

“You a appear out of air s s startling me a and are s surprised I d defend myself?” if nothing else the harsh in my voice seamed to have knocked him out of his sorrow. An air of astonishment taking its place in his words.

“If you didn't plan on making a meal out of me then why the comments about my cold heart?” he was starting to move around me now to my left. I tried again to open my eyes only to feel the pain of light that was becoming all to familiar. He sat there by my neck the heat of his body warming my fur.

“Thought I w was in danger. T trying to find s something t to scare you. Sorry,” the last word a bare whisper from his lips. “W we can't s stay here. You n need help.”

“I can't go back home,” a shudder passed threw me at the memory of my cries “I lost my temper and did something horrible. I don't want to go back.”

“Walk f follow,” with that he grasped my horn and started to lead me.

Any other day someone daring to put their mouth around my horn and drag me around the woods I would have put up a protest to rival that of Cerberus on flea dip day. This day I was to worn and drawn. I had no fight left in me so I simply followed like a tame puppy allowing Max to lead me around trees and over rocks. Suddenly the ground under me changed from the hard stones and crunching grass to something that shifted and creaked with my weight. Underneath me I could hear wind whipping violently. I tried to stop but Max growled and his gentle hold became more firm biting down on my horn pinching it painfully. Every step felt as if I would tumble into oblivion and my head whirled from the roar of the wind now encircling us. I know it didn't last more than a few moments but it felt like an eternity then solid ground again under my hoofs. Max let go of me and I laid on the ground pressing my cheek to a large cold stone shaking and dazed.  

• Brohoof 1