Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is equestria girls not as popular among the brony comunity?

Brony Lounge

I don't know if I'm classified as a brony but I didn't like it because the ponies make it a fantasy world. I don't want to hear any more high school drama then I already have. Plus I hate seeing the ponies eye boys. It's supposed to be innocent like rarity and spike.

• Brohoof 1

it reminds me of being in highschool and highschool for me is and was four years of hell

at least its over for me in a couple months when i hopefully graduate early, then maybe ill be able to enjoy equestria girls a little more

Everyone has their reasons. I quite enjoyed all three of the movies. They all had their cheesy slap-in-the-face moments that make me remember, "Oh yeah... this is for kids." But I always come out with a smile.

There are plenty who don't share that opinion. And there are plenty reasons not to. I just happen to be really good at ignoring those reasons.

• Brohoof 2

I think half the brony community if not most of it, doesnt like equestria girls because most of them are in highschool or already graduated and dont want to relive or experience those 4 terrible/great years plus we started watching ponies first and they just don't want this to replace FIM

I'm not too fond of Equestria girls, simply because they're not really ponies. I'll watch it just because it's a spinoff from the  actual show(since all the same VAs are used and the characters have their same personalities as FiM.), but that's it. Reminds me  I still need to watch the 3rd movie.

Edited by Flutter Baby <3
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not too fond of Equestria girls, simply because they're not really ponies. I'll watch it just because it's a spinoff from the  actual show(since all the same VAs are used and the characters have their same personalities as FiM.), but that's it. Reminds me  I still need to watch the 3rd movie.

If ur not fond of eg, i bet ur not looking forward to this, lol. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's humans not ponies and humans are gross and evil and icky and high school

Edited by Megas75

My problem with EQG is, I don't see the point of it existing at all. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the movies. (well, the first two at least) But I came here for the fantasy and adventure which is lost in a contemporary high school setting. There are a lot of things that just don't translate well to "our world" for example, magic and cutie marks. I guess I also lose some of the suspension of disbelief seeing humans.

I personally think that the reason Equestria Girls isn't as popular probably was because of that first movie, which a lot of the Brony community thought was terrible, myself included, and then there's the high school setting with humans. A lot of high school dramas/comedies tend to not be very easy to enjoy in the first place, and I think the fact that they're all humans speaks for itself. From the toy side, all the Equestria Girls dolls I've seen look so cheaply made, and don't even look like the characters they're supposed to be. 

• Brohoof 2

Because i came for Ponies in a fantasy world. Not Teenage girls in a highschool setting, with highschool problems.

Also, i don't think the movies are good from a writing standpoint (i speak more about 1 and 3. While i kinda liked the second one.)

• Brohoof 2

A good number of people dislike the Equestrian Girls movies because they are just so ridiculous.

A big turn off for MLP fans was the fact that the characters were turned into humans rather than kept ponies.

Well besides the things metioned above like the school life cliché's, the not being a  pony thing and losing the fantasy element. It started off kinda bad the first EQG movie while not terrible was in comparisson to the show bad and first impressions count. Besides that it still bothers me that every single girl in the EQG movies has a dress, why? It doesnt make sense, dont understand me wrong with a lot of them they fit the character and with those I have no problem but in the diverse cast of MLP that have been humafied you would think at least one of the girls would like to wear a pants over a dress.

Now I dont mind the spinoff series too much and it is so much better now ( I liked the second movie more and third one evne though still a lot of issues is my favourite of the three). So overall no my favourite part of the theme of the FIM franchise but I do want to see where they are going to take it next.

1. When you think of FIM, you think more of the fantasy setting and having ponies as the main characters. Hell, it says "My Little Pony" on the logo. Equestria Girls isn't connected to FIM in any way other than the logo In FIM, you have a fantasy-centric world with conflicts related to the fantasy genre. Each of EQG's conflicts depict high-school drama. EQG massively rips off Mattel's Monster High in order to pander to older girls.
  2. The world of FIM is very versatile. You can create several fantasy ideas because the canon is loose enough to continue building the world. EQG's world is very sterile. Everything in EQG centers around a high school that is very rigid and embraces high-school stereotypes.
  3. The writing of EQG is worse than FIM. What's EQG's best work? The three post-RR shorts, Music to My Ears, and the comic's Fall of Sunset Shimmer. Nothing else comes close. The first film is objectively worse from a writing perspective than every single episode in the show, including Rainbow Falls. Rainbow Rocks improved significantly, but it's still a poorly-written film with degredations of the entire Mane cast (including Sunset). Friendship Games shoves this spinoff several massive steps back with a lot of padding, flat characters, and humongous lack of logic (seriously, we're supposed to believe kids should participate in motocross without practicing ahead of time and without a license?!).
  4. Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games continues trying to fix the massive plot holes from EQG1, but instead keep recreating the very same mistakes. One of these mistakes is attempting to paint Sunset Shimmer as a character who chose to redeem herself, first by making her the butt of abusive humor in Rainbow Rocks and the second by retconning how magic was introduced in Pedestria by saying she did it rather than the Star Swirl doing it. First off, Sunset in the last two films is Sunset-in-name-only. Sunset never chose to redeem herself; the Elements of Harmony forced her to change by resetting her personality. If you're going to redeem a character, then show to the audience that she chose to do it rather than try to handwave EQG1's broken script. The more EQG hides it, the worse her redemption becomes. All EQG showed is that Starlight's redemption is Sunset's done correctly.

It's like the sonic fandom. People dont like change. And in this case, its not even perminent...

You're pulling a massive strawman. It's nothing to do with not liking change, but instead the quality of the change. If EQG didn't embrace stereotypes and was objectively good, then you'd see more support for it.

• Brohoof 4

Equestria is a whole other world and more interesting as a concept. The Ponies have had over 2500 hours of aventures and character development, and although I did enjoy the movies, the MLP human world is something we're all a lot less invested in after watching so many hours of the show. I was also disappointed the first time I saw EG to find out that it wasn't the actual ponies going to the human world, just twilight with parallel versions of them. Even though they're the same characters in personality and behavior, knowing it's not actually them weakens the viewer/character attachment that's been built up over the seasons of the show prior to the movies

Well, EQG was quite polarizing from the start because at the time it was announced a lot of people, myself included, didn't really consider it FiM if the characters were suddenly human. Then, of course, a lot of people, again with myself included, were salty about Hasbro 'selling out' to the high school fad to compete with Monster High (which, I might note, is incredibly stupid to be angry about because Hasbro wants to make money and they've never pretended otherwise.)

Then, the first movie came out. I think many people watched it with a negative bias, myself not included for once, because I wanted to give it a fair chance. While some elements worked, the movie as a whole was really just 'okay' and nothing else. Sunset was a cardboard cutout villain and Flash a cardboard cutout love interest (who has his own share of haters, which of course reflects on the series as a whole again). This meant that people who went into it with negative feelings weren't exactly proven wrong, while those with neutral or positive views didn't have much to be truly happy about.

All in all, that leads to a vocal minority panning the movie while those who would defend it had only very little to go on. IMO, that changed when RR came out because Sunset suddenly became a real character and the series found something of an identity because of that, but I can imagine the same vocal minority hating the first movie either wasn't convinced or simply didn't bother to watch RR.

TL;DR: It's not as hated as it seems to be, but the concept itself made many people salty at first and the first movie didn't do much to improve the image.

I believe it's because a lot of them think it's merely Hasbro "selling out" to expand their merchandise, like getting into the realm of toy lines like Barbie, Bratz, and Monster High. I think it's also because they're not fans of the human aspect of it. They prefer ponies.

But in reality, it's really not. Equestria Girls did have a bumpy beginning. But it's evolved into an excellent spin-off that it worthy of being a said spin-off of the excellent Friendship is Magic franchise. There's character development galore, many of it's new characters have become some of the franchise's most popular and beloved, and the world continues to grow deeper and deeper with each movie. I would go as far to say that I would love to see an actual series for it. But I would like a spin-off series of the Dazzlings even better.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed the movies quite a lot, but I am more of a fan of ponies however and I doubt that will change. Though I still look forward to more EQG content, I just will always prefer ponies over humans.

The whole high school thing was kind of weird imo. Not sure how well you could do this, but I would have preferred another setting that didn't take place in school. Regardless it was still enjoyable.

Well, EQG was quite polarizing from the start because at the time it was announced a lot of people, myself included, didn't really consider it FiM if the characters were suddenly human. Then, of course, a lot of people, again with myself included, were salty about Hasbro 'selling out' to the high school fad to compete with Monster High (which, I might note, is incredibly stupid to be angry about because Hasbro wants to make money and they've never pretended otherwise.)

Then, the first movie came out. I think many people watched it with a negative bias, myself not included for once, because I wanted to give it a fair chance. While some elements worked, the movie as a whole was really just 'okay' and nothing else. Sunset was a cardboard cutout villain and Flash a cardboard cutout love interest (who has his own share of haters, which of course reflects on the series as a whole again). This meant that people who went into it with negative feelings weren't exactly proven wrong, while those with neutral or positive views didn't have much to be truly happy about.

All in all, that leads to a vocal minority panning the movie while those who would defend it had only very little to go on. IMO, that changed when RR came out because Sunset suddenly became a real character and the series found something of an identity because of that, but I can imagine the same vocal minority hating the first movie either wasn't convinced or simply didn't bother to watch RR.

TL;DR: It's not as hated as it seems to be, but the concept itself made many people salty at first and the first movie didn't do much to improve the image.

What I find interesting about people saying Hasbro "sold out" with Equestria Girls or saying that EG is about making money, is that Friendship is Magic was, has and always will be about selling toys, to the point that they make changes to the show itself to accommodate any new toys that arise, and anyone who pretends otherwise is deluded. The show has been cancelled in some countries(like Japan, which had a rather good dub) purely because the toys were not selling. If the toys stopped selling, Friendship is Magic would be cancelled, because toy sales are the lifeblood of children's cartoons, and many viewers either don't realize it or or are yet further still delusional.

It's just really ignorant and hypocritical when people use that argument. Not accusing you of it, but you mentioned it and that's what I am commenting on.

• Brohoof 2