Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Graphics Tablets

Bogrick Grey Mane

I.m fairly new to the medium of digital art, but I am experienced in using photo shop and gimp.

I was thinking of getting a graphics tablet, as trying to draw by mouse is not easy, I'm an old style pencil and paper artist.

I was looking at this tablet from Wacom

http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/intuos/intuos/intuos-art-pen-und-touch-small/913?c=2213274

I was wondering what tablet you use, if you use one, and in your opinion what is the best for price.

I'm not going to shell out €2000 on a pro tablet so please keep your recommendations to a realistic value

Thanks  in anticipation of your advice :rarity:

Edited by Bogrick the elder
  • Brohoof 1

I spent about $40 on a Huion tablet, it's nothing fancy, but imo it's just fine. The cord shorts out easily, but I hear that happens often with Wacom tablets too--the difference being the cord on mine is detachable, and therefore replaceable, but according to my friends who have had Wacoms, theirs are not, so when the cord goes, they have to replace the whole tablet.

• Brohoof 2

I spent about $40 on a Huion tablet, it's nothing fancy, but imo it's just fine. The cord shorts out easily, but I hear that happens often with Wacom tablets too--the difference being the cord on mine is detachable, and therefore replaceable, but according to my friends who have had Wacoms, theirs are not, so when the cord goes, they have to replace the whole tablet.

Thanks for this entry on the subject :D

I was also thinking of getting a drawing tablet at some point, but Waicoms are too expensive for me :lol:

Knowing there is a cheaper alternative that still works fine is a good thing to be aware of.. Thanks again ;)

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

I have Wacom Pen and Touch medium sized tablet and I can confirm that USB cable is detachable on it. I don't know what specific models your friends have but it's quite absurd if they decided to not make the cable detachable. As well, this video confirms that Bogrick the elder's particular tablet does have removable USB cable.

https://youtu.be/cpCJinu7hC8?t=6m48s

I invested more money for a medium sized tablet as opposed to a small one, but I'm not sure whether such an investment would be worth it to you. Unfortunately, there's no way for you to try out different sizes unless you know someone/someplace that have different types of tablets.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, there's no way for you to try out different sizes unless you know someone/someplace that have different types of tablets.

Thanks for the feedback Luna.

The problem I'm having is none of my local shops keep graphics tablets in stock, they will only order them for me, so I can't get to try them out before I buy.

This is why I'm appealing to the artists community here for recommendations  :rarity: 

I use a Wacom Intous Art & Pen (the one you linked) and it's worked for me for quite a while. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend Bamboo or some of the Huion tablets. They've only lasted a few months when I had them. Either the tablet itself stopped working or the usb was lost and couldn't be replaced. 

Hello! I started rambling about the two tablets I own, so if you want to read all that, it's in the spoiler tag.

I have an old Intuos3 (large, $220) and the newer Intuos Pro (medium, $300). Both have served me well. I got my Intuos3 about 10 years ago and it's still working fine, though I did have to buy a new pen after I spilled water on the original one (it still works, but it's a little wonky). Also, the tablet is huge. I can't fit it into a bag of any sorts, it's kind of impressive (I got the Intuos Pro because I needed something I could carry with me in art school). The Intuos3 got scratches on it after a while, so I bought a screen protector for it and it's good as new.

Cons:

- My Intuos3 has a non-detachable cord, but luckily I've never had trouble with it, so hopefully it keeps on working fine.

- My Intuos Pro does have a detachable cord. I've never had trouble with the cord, but I did have the tablet itself stop working all of a sudden. Luckily it was under a 2 year warranty, so I sent it out to get fixed and only had to pay for shipping. I also had some problems with the pen after 2-3 years and the eraser wouldn't work, so I had to buy a new pen (the Intuos3 and Intuos Pro pens aren't interchangeable, it sucks). I gotta admit though, the replacement pens come in a fancy case with nice accessories, almost worth the 80-frickin-dollar cost.

It looks like the Intuos Art Pen & Touch tablet is mostly nice. It has a lot of the important things - pressure sensitivity, ExpressKeys...I personally hate the touch functions and turn those off, but it has that too if you end up liking it.

The biggest problem I have with that tablet is the lack of an eraser. It's not a terrible thing, but drawing does take longer when you have to manually switch between brush and eraser and back again every time you want to erase. I went a year without an eraser since my pen was malfunctioning, eventually replaced it because it was so tiring to deal with. If you're the type that traditionally draws with a pen or doesn't use an eraser much in general, it could work alright for you.

I read some reviews, and apparently this is an older model of the Intuos Art Pen & Touch. It has pressure sensitivity, ExpressKeys, touch functions, plus an eraser, and it costs the same (and has better ratings). In terms of price, I'd definitely go for this one. It's the one that @@PrincessWubsy in the post below has. 8D

Size is another thing to keep in mind. Most of the time, small tablets work fine. If you plan on using it a lot though (like professional level), invest in a medium tablet to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome (the finer control is also nice). Or you could just buy a small one now and buy a larger one later if you ever feel like you need it, whichever works best for you.

Hope that helps! :twi:

Edited by Blique
  • Brohoof 1

I use an Intuos Pen & Touch tablet (small size, but this one comes in small, medium and large I believe), and it is a really decent tablet at a pretty decent price! Mine was $80.  :D This is not my review, but here is a short review on it: 

It's pretty nice if you're just starting to work on Digital art, too! 

As for the nib thing mentioned in this video, I've had this tablet since Christmas of 2014 and the first nib still works for me, so it is no problem. The problem with the short chord is a bit annoying but I use my laptop for using this tablet, so it's not really a big deal for me.

Edited by PrincessWubsy
  • Brohoof 3

I went to MCM London and Wacom had a booth there so I was able to try out a few tablets which was crazy useful. That same day I bought the Wacom cintiq 13HD and it's a pretty amazing bit of kit. Before that I had a Wacom bamboo so going from that to drawing directly on the screen was a great transition.

I guess if your a casual drawer there's not really much point in shelling out for the high ended models (unless you have a large amount of disposable income). The intros do the job perfectly fine in my eyes. I only got the cintiq because I draw in my job quite often.

I guess if your a casual drawer there's not really much point in shelling out for the high ended models (unless you have a large amount of disposable income). The intros do the job perfectly fine in my eyes

Thanks Duck, :rarity: It would be nice to splash out on one of the bigger top end, on screen models, but I couldn't justify it unless I became a professional artist.

I think for the time being I will just roll with the  Introus tablet, At least that way if I find out I don't like working with digital media I've not wasted money on something I'm never going to use again.

It is going to be an interesting journey for me moving from traditional art techniques to digital, so when I get my tablet I may start a blog of my experiences of it :yay: 

• Brohoof 1

I really dig my Wacom Intuos man, got it on the low cause it is refurbished. The tablet works miracles for drawing directly on the computer but I still stick to my original routine: draw with paper, upload on computer, trace and add color/effects.

The only set back I know of is that if you loose the pen, it would be better to buy a second tablet b/c a replacement pen costs about the same as the tablet+pen

• Brohoof 1

The only set back I know of is that if you loose the pen, it would be better to buy a second tablet b/c a replacement pen costs about the same as the tablet+pen

MAKES MENTAL NOTE NOT TO LOOSE PEN WHEN I BUY THIS TABLET :rarity:

Thanks for the warning Sugarfoot :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

I have a Wacom Intous Pen & Touch (Seen in above posts) But I lost the pen. Rip Pen. I currently have a old hunky Wacom Ciniq 15x that I should get around to using.

You said that you are normally a pencil and paper artist. It may take a while to get used to a tablet without a screen, because you cant see what you are doing straight off the pen.

Edited by DuskRain
  • Brohoof 1

You said that you are normally a pencil and paper artist. It may take a while to get used to a tablet without a screen, because you cant see what you are doing straight off the pen

I think this is what has been frightening me the most about using a graphics tablet. I wish I had the spare cash to splash out on a top of the range model were I can draw straight onto the screen but..... :( 

I have a feeling it will be fun to start with, closely followed by fits of rage, then finally falling into a pit of desperation until I master it. But master it I will :proud:  It has been too many years without me taking advantage of this wonderful medium of digital art to turn my back on it now :rarity: 

As I typed this response I  had a wonderful vision of myself cutting my own ear off and presenting it to the pony model sitting in front of me as I immortalized it in fabulously glowing pixels :derp:

• Brohoof 2

I wish I had the spare cash to splash out on a top of the range model were I can draw straight onto the screen

I feel you. The only reason I have a Cintiq is because my father found an old 15x at his work. They dont even sell this old thing anymore, but it still works amazingly and you might get it on ebay for around $300 USD

41MmwJkTU2L._SX466_.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Trots off to look at ebay :pinkie:

Especially since I got into a big argument in the shop where I was going to buy a Wacom today. They advertise them on their website but don't sell them in the shop and won't order one for me either. How do these people make a living ??? :huh: 

I think this is what has been frightening me the most about using a graphics tablet. I wish I had the spare cash to splash out on a top of the range model were I can draw straight onto the screen but..... :(

I have a feeling it will be fun to start with, closely followed by fits of rage, then finally falling into a pit of desperation until I master it. But master it I will :proud:  It has been too many years without me taking advantage of this wonderful medium of digital art to turn my back on it now :rarity:

As I typed this response I  had a wonderful vision of myself cutting my own ear off and presenting it to the pony model sitting in front of me as I immortalized it in fabulously glowing pixels :derp:

For me, three weeks were spent on making rough sketches before I felt comfortable enough to beging working on detailed coloured images. It was quite awkward using it at first but it's been over half year now and I'm much more used to it now (though drawing on paper I think I would still do better). I will note that I haven't drawn anything on paper to any notable extent for since I began using my tablet; someone recommended to not draw on paper while I'm trying to get used to tablet since I would be reminded of that form of drawing method.

I will note that I haven't drawn anything on paper to any notable extent for since I began using my tablet; someone recommended to not draw on paper while I'm trying to get used to tablet since I would be reminded of that form of drawing method.

Thanks for the tip, that makes allot of sense.

The trouble is I have two commission pieces on in the new year, so it is going to be fun trying to juggle traditional art and digital art.

I think I may have to hold off on using the tablet if what you say is true.

I have a Surface Pro 3, which I only  got because of a surprise amount of money i received. I had a wacom pen and touch before however I have a visual impairment and it made it hard to use it, the SP3 is really nice but I cannot say I'd buy it again. I would pprobably look for a cheaper option. 

The majority of my art is also Vectors and Vectormations so the SP3 isn't that helpful there since I just use a mouse. :)

• Brohoof 1