Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Much Blood Have you donated?

Creative Prop

Every time I see a blood drive, I tell myself I'm going to go and donate...and then the day comes and I have a panic attack about the needle...so sadly, I've not been able to donate any yet. One day I'll overcome my fear of needles and I'll be able to do it, but it is not this day. 

• Brohoof 1

I will never give blood in my life.

I don't like the idea...

And i'm too young, anyways.

I'm also not the one for "genorous blood giving", I'd much rather keep my own blood to myself.

Edited by Strange

I would think it's a better idea to have your own blood reserves in case you need blood. Using other people's blood can be a bad idea no matter how good they purify it. Lots of diseases are carried out by blood transfusions.

I would think it's a better idea to have your own blood reserves in case you need blood. Using other people's blood can be a bad idea no matter how good they purify it. Lots of diseases are carried out by blood transfusions.

trust me, if you're in an accident and bleeding out - you will welcome any blood transfusion.

A few reasons to donate blood, at least for myself:

1) You can't have indefinite reserves of your own blood. They expire rather quickly (little over a month). So if you're in a bad accident or have a bad disease, you'll need blood supply from another human being.

2) Human blood cannot be synthesized. And because stores of blood are thrown out on a daily basis, the supply needs to be restocked always.

3) I have O negative. I can donate to any blood type, so I feel because I'm in that unique situation and it's almost an obligation to do it, because I have that ability that most don't. 

4) I'm screwed. I'm also more likely to die from blood loss because I can't receive any blood BUT O negative. So I might as well give it away while I can.

Here's some random blood facts. It's from my local donation page, but it's still important information. If you don't donate blood, I seriously encourage you to do so, especially if you have O negative blood. 

http://nybloodcenter.org/donate-blood/blood-facts/

• Brohoof 1

I never have but I've always been willing to. I'm on the organ donor register. It just so happens that the day that my local donation centre chooses to hold it's clinic has always been on a day that's not conducive to me.

Nothing and I probably never will. The whole thing just doesn't appeal to me. My blood keeps me alive and even though nothing bad would happen if I did donate, it just sounds wrong in my ears.

• 3 years later...
(edited)

I mean, there's not a huge demand for my blood type (B pos), but I've donated it two pints thus far. Both times I did so to try and get out of physical activity, both times failed. x3

Still, if I'm ever out in the field, wounded, in need of a transfusion, I'll be thanking myself. Literally, maybe. That'd be funny. :P

Edited by Meson Bolt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I haven't donated any blood. I had a scary moment a few years back while drawing blood. I can't think of a more scarier moment, so I try to not draw blood that often (only I have to, blah!)

• Brohoof 1

I've only been able to donate twice in my life because most of the time my iron is too low.  I got to donate last year since I haven't had to worry about having periods anymore and I've been taking care of my iron needs.  I have another appointment in March to donate again.  I'm a universal donor so I should donate as much as I can.  I think needing to get lots of bloodwork done and giving myself injections once a week has helped me get used to needles, I find focusing on music helpful when I give myself injections or when I donate.