Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is anypony a vegetarian?

hoofian

I looked for a thread about this, but couldn't find one. I was just wondering if anypony else is a vegetarian? Or vegan or pescetarian? If so, why?

I am a vegetarian, and have been for about a year and a half now. I do it for health (I lost about 60 pounds just by not eating meat), ethical & spiritual reasons environmental reasons. I'm not starting this thread to be preachy, just to see if anypony else shares my dietary habits, or any close to them? But of course, if anypony has any legitimate curiosities or questions, I would be happy to discuss them. :)

I'm a vegetarian by force, I guess, since none of the food I ever get seems to have meat in it. Not that I don't want meat, I just don't get any...

You sorta eventually get sick of rice and noodles all day X_X

• Brohoof 1

I love my meat and all, but i still find fruit very delicious. It's good to still have meat occasionally, but i do a good job of following the "apple a day" law. Sometimes two really. And of course don't forget the potatoes. Mmm....

• Brohoof 1

I had a friend who went veg for awhile, but she always felt really tired and got sick a lot. She started eating meat again and was fine.

Do you vegetarians feel anything similar? Just curious.

I don't understand, how is it possible to.. NOT eat meat? X__X

Eaven if I would need to become a vegetarian for some odd reason, I would not have much things to eat since I HATE vegetables..

I looked for a thread about this, but couldn't find one. I was just wondering if anypony else is a vegetarian? Or vegan or pescetarian? If so, why?

I am a vegetarian, and have been for about a year and a half now. I do it for health (I lost about 60 pounds just by not eating meat), ethical & spiritual reasons environmental reasons. I'm not starting this thread to be preachy, just to see if anypony else shares my dietary habits, or any close to them? But of course, if anypony has any legitimate curiosities or questions, I would be happy to discuss them. :)

I am not a vegetarian. I had two friends that were though. If someone told me out of beef, pork, poultry, and fish/seafood, that I had to give up all but one, I would give up beef, pork, and poultry because I love fish. So I could be a "catholic" vegetarian, but I love the meat too much. And I love my vegetables. There is only one vegetable that I don't like and that is red beets. Hate em'. I love all fruits too, except dried fruits. You should make a poll too. :)

Edit... I also love many vegetarian dishes. I went to Jimmy Johns and got their vegetarian sandwich which was quite delicious.

Edited by DashingRainbow36

My diet consist of beans and rice,beans,rice,beans,rice...The only times I get to eat meat anymore is on special occasions and those don't show up very often.

I had a friend who went veg for awhile, but she always felt really tired and got sick a lot. She started eating meat again and was fine.

Do you vegetarians feel anything similar? Just curious.

That is not common, and your friend is probably anemic. Another possibility is a vitamin b deficiency which affects some vegetarians. This is easily remedied though, as most cheeses have b vitamins (real cheese, not anything followed by "product". Cheddar, provalone, bleau = cheese. American, Velveta, Cheezewiz = cheese (flavored) product.).

Alternately, the anemia situation can be cured by taking iron supplements or even something as simple as cooking with cast iron cookware (which is a very good way to cook anyway, as it heats evenly and is non-stick).

I am not a vegetarian. I had two friends that were though. If someone told me out of beef, pork, poultry, and fish/seafood, that I had to give up all but one, I would give up beef, pork, and poultry because I love fish. So I could be a "catholic" vegetarian, but I love the meat too much. And I love my vegetables. There is only one vegetable that I don't like and that is red beets. Hate em'. I love all fruits too, except dried fruits. You should make a poll too. :)

Edit... I also love many vegetarian dishes. I went to Jimmy Johns and got their vegetarian sandwich which was quite delicious.

Someone who eats fish but no other types of meat is called a pescetarian. :) I have a friend who is one, as well. It is much healthier than eating red and white meat, but you still have to be careful because fish carries its own sets of risks like histamine, mercury, parasites and several other things. The problem with most viruses and such carried by fish, is that they cannot be killed by heat and are odorless and tasteless... I had to take a food sanitation course when I was in culinary school and it frightened me of fish hehe.

I want to be but I love meat way too much.

I used to think I did, I went to culinary school, and was almost a carnivore. I have always felt conflicted about eating meat though, and as I got older, I decided it wasn't for me. Now, I can't even stand the smell of it. It smells like death to me, just like roadkill and is just as appetizing (it is also the exact same thing: a dead animal). Most vegetarians I talk to (I know several) all sort of agree that after a few months, we all realized we didn't ever really like meat at all... We just thought we did. The texture, the smell the taste... Its all really gross when one things about it. Its also incredibly unhealthy, since people's biology is not like that of carnivores (cats) or omnivores (like dogs). We have a long twisty digestive tract meant to be very efficient at pulling out nutrients. When we eat a lot of meat, it gets stuck in the nooks and crannies of our colon and eventually becomes cancer. Cats and dogs have digestive tracts which are smooth and short, because meat is a cheap source of nutrients so not much time or work needs to be spent digesting it. We also have flat teeth, not meant for tearing and ripping food. I would suggest at least giving it a shot. I feel way better than I ever did eating meat, and its really not difficult.

I want to be but I love meat way too much.

Then why stop eating meat? Moral vegetarians raise a hue and cry about animals being killed to be eaten and boycott meat as a result, yet at the same time, they don't say a word about the blood that stains many of their consumer goods. Many goods are made in the so-called Third World in appalling conditions, and even components that are assembled in the so-called First World are made from raw materials that were mined in the so-called Third World. Why aren't these consumer goods boycotted due to the suffering of Chinese and Congolese miners, sweatshop workers, assembly lines in the Third World, etc. by the vegetarians? Does this not smack of inconsistency? Does this not seem misanthropic, as the impression is given of the lesser animals being more important than human beings?

Those mistreated workers are of our species and should be given priority over some cows and chickens that are slaughtered to keep people fed.

Ironically, if moral vegetarians had their way, people would lose incentive to breed some domesticated animals, and given that they are a product of artificial selection, I do not think they would fare well on their own in the wild. Some of them may survive and undergo a bit of reversion, but many of them would perish. :P

I also find moral vegetarianism to be hypocritical, given that such vegetarians typically don't blink an eye when it comes to utilizing healthcare, and medical science is largely predicated in "animal cruelty," i.e. animal testing. To be logically consistent, they would have to refuse to use modern medicine, clinics, hospitals, etc.

Edited by M14Brony

Then why stop eating meat? Moral vegetarians raise a hue and cry about animals being killed to be eaten and boycott meat as a result, yet at the same time, they don't say a word about the blood that stains many of their consumer goods. Many goods are made in the so-called Third World in appalling conditions, and even components that are assembled in the so-called First World are made from raw materials that were mined in the so-called Third World. Why aren't these consumer goods boycotted due to the suffering of Chinese and Congolese miners, sweatshop workers, assembly lines in the Third World, etc. by the vegetarians? Does this not smack of inconsistency? Does this not seem misanthropic, as the impression is given of the lesser animals being more important than human beings?

Those mistreated workers are of our species and should be given priority over some cows and chickens that are slaughtered to keep people fed.

I also find moral vegetarianism to be hypocritical, given that such vegetarians typically don't blink an eye when it comes to utilizing healthcare, and medical science is largely predicated in "animal cruelty," i.e. animal testing. To be logically consistent, they would have to refuse to use modern medicine, clinics, hospitals, etc.

First of all you are generalizing, and probably not on anyone you actually know. I as well as almost all the vegetarians I know care as much or more about human rights, as well. You logic, is fallacy. It makes no sense. You are also ignoring the problems in first world countries. Vegetarianism is a human rights issue. One of the most dangerous jobs currently, is working in a slaughterhouse. Since the unions were weakened, almost none of them have unions anymore, and hire illegal immigrants to work under minimum wage. These workers are discouraged from reporting accidents, and quite often suffer crippling injuries as a result. These overworked underpaid exploited people are also people getting screwed by the meat industry, just like the animals (See http://motherjones.com/politics/2001/07/dangerous-meatpacking-jobs-eric-schlosser )

Next, let's talk about the exploited farmers. Are you aware that companies like Purdue get farmers to raise chickens, by loaning them money for chicken houses. Sounds good, until you realize that a farmer goes into debt half a million USD for 2 chicken houses, which will raise them less than $20,000 USD for profit. Sure sounds like a human rights issue to me! (source: The film Food Inc., not a pro vegetarian movie, just a pro-knowing-your-food-movie).

Last, let's talk about the environment (a human rights issue, since we live here. I want clean air and potable water avaliable for my infant nephew). Ever seen a factory farm? They are all around me. They are horrible. The conditions for the animals are bad, and they produce so much greenhouse gasses (from the cows, the trucks that haul cattle, the trucks that haul grain all hours of the night), they produce a lot of run-off in the creeks and rivers which is bad for fish and the people who drink that water.

Cows are also not meant to eat corn. That is another problem with factory farming. Wonder why we have so many issues with E. Coli? The stomach acid of cows are messed up from the corn they eat, since they are supposed to eat grass (corn is mass produced for other horrible reasons, but is really cheap and allows farmers to cram cows into small places without grass, which means more money). The result is e. coli grows in their stomachs, spreading to people, and the runoff of manure even gets in our produce which is why we have spinach and other veggies that gets contaminated with e. coli. Cows that eat grass, like they are supposed to, don't support the virus. (source: films King Corn and Food Inc., as well as basic biology).

Meat is very much a human rights issue. You are right, buying third world garbage is not good either, and most people (no matter their diet) don't pay attention to it. But to deny that meat is a human rights issue, is just ignorant of the facts.

Pescetarian here, though my reasons for being so aren't tied in with any ethical principles or health considerations. Rather, I simply prefer the taste of vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy over that of meat, with the exception of seafood.

My opinions regarding animal rights, speciesism, and the general ethics of eating meat, are separate to that of my eating habits; a distinction I plan to keep.

• Brohoof 1

Did you know the industry that manufactures dietary supplements for vegetarians is four times as damaging to the environment than the entire meat industry? (poultry, red meat, fisheries etc.)

I'd never make a good vegetarian, as I'm allergic to Soy and products made from Soy Milk (That includes Tofu)

And now, some vegetarian jokes:

I love vegetarian food; It goes so well with steak.

I'm a vegetarian. I only eat vegetarians.

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

I'm a carnivore, and my food eats your food...

Also, if anyone is feeling lethargic, depressed, and generally not having the energy to do things, it may be because of an iron deficiency in your bloodstream. Iron helps red blood cells carry oxygen around the body.

Has anyone cut their lip, and/or tasted blood before? Thats why it tastes like iron!

And where do humans get the majority of their Iron intake? RED MEAT!

Ironically, if moral vegetarians had their way, people would lose incentive to breed some domesticated animals, and given that they are a product of artificial selection, I do not think they would fare well on their own in the wild. Some of them may survive and undergo a bit of reversion, but many of them would perish. :P

I didn't mean it by a moral aspect. What I meant was that meat is bad for you, meat is a good source of protein but it exists in other foods that aren't meat like almonds and such.

---snipped large quote about inconsistency---

Pretty much the reason I don't support PETA

---snipped quote. The part I'm responding to is about cows eating corn---

Why the cows eat corn in the first place is because of the massive benefts from the government US farmers recieved WAY BACK WHEN that now means TOO MUCH CORN is being grown instead of things like wheat.

The result? Everything in American food is pumped FULL of high fructose corn syrup.

America has too much corn.

Here in the Country Down Under, we feed our meat and dairy cows grass. The cows destined for expensive restraunts (e.g. The Stag here in Adelaide) are fed wheat for one to two weeks, to create the fat marbling that makes them so delicious. (and expensive)

However, there is a serious difference between the marbling of American steak and Australian steak. Australian steak has 5... 10% fat tops, but I've had an American steak and I swear the entire thing tasted like it was made of fat.

No wonder Americans are so obese.

If I lived in the US I would be a vegetarian, but only for health reasons. As such, our meat industry is much healthier, both for the environment and for the livestock. Farmers learnt quckly that if you dont give the Austrlian environment the respect it deserves, it will come back and kick your backside later.

The stuff you learn in a country where 90% of the animals are deadly, and the landscape does the rest.