Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you hate something because someone you dislike likes it?

ashes

To clarify, have you ever used to like something, but then found out that your enemy or someone you dislike enjoys it, and as a result, you begin to hate that particular thing?

Due to the negativity I got from certain Sonic fans, I now dislike and practically loathe Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Brohoof 1

No. While I can understand if your experience with something is soured because someone else ruined it for you, I think it's incredibly unfair to judge something because of one or more outside people

• Brohoof 4

I can heavily relate to this. Growing up it was something that truly bothered me, but now as I'm older I realise who cares. I shouldn't let something like that put me off something I enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, yeah I do, but I know that's not a reason to not like something and its really narrow minded, but it's just hard to enjoy something knowing that someone I hate enjoys whatever too.

Nope. I actually know someone who does this constantly, and I find it incredibly petty. Just because someone I don't like likes something I do should not taint it to point my opinion pulls a complete 180.

Hmm not necessarily, but I've felt similar emotions.

For the longest time, I really disliked the idea of watching anime because I associated it with the limited amount of anime fans I knew. And they really got on my nerves. You know all the worst stereotypes of anime fans? Mixing in simple japanese words with English like nani. Always talking about Japan like it was the best place in the world, but never talking about anything beyond the pop culture stuff. They would commit them all.

And it was enough to put me off from the idea of watching anime. The thought of anime made me cringe.

But of course, I grew up, went to college, met tons of diverse people and now am only mildly reminded of the past whenever I watch anime. I'll watch Attack on Titan and take it for what it is. A cartoon created by Japanese people. Nothing more.

But yes, I can see how someone could hate something because of someone they strongly dislike.

But I think it's a childish thing to feel because logically there should be no reason to feel this way.

Edited by pollo20x6

Not really. I think it's similar to hype surrounding or something being over commercialized causing you to hate it. Honestly if I like something I like it because of genuine reasons, and not because I am told to like it or dislike it. 

Nope. If I disliked someone, I never cared about their interests, so, they didn't influence my view on the matter at hand. Of course, there have been a few times where my 'love' for something has turned sour over time, even though it might be a bit silly I suppose. :P

To dislike something soley because someone you personally dislike favors it is a childish thing.

You're not a 7 year old child and you shouldn't let people you dislike ruin things for you.

• Brohoof 1

I find it very unfortunate and annoying that Neil DeGrasse Tyson has such disregard and ostensibly disrespect for religious adherents even though his main subjects of interest, space and scientific advancement, are fundamentally irrelevant to one's religious beliefs. For this reason I haven't watched Cosmos, even though it probably would be very interesting (minus the metaphysics I disagree with).

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that I HATE classic rock bands. I just don't enjoy them that much, considering a lot of "Mr. I-Have-A-Better-Taste-In-Music-Than-You-Therefore-I'm-Special" people are huge fans and act like they're superior just because they like older music and constantly bash new music.

Edited by Ravelicious

Yes, despite giving up after the first several episodes of Steven Universe bored me-I would have been willing to power through it to give it another shot were it not for the fanbase and their actions throughout last year-at first I was merely annoyed, but as the terrible actions got more extreme-the more angry and horrified I became before deciding that I want nothing to do with that show.

If other people like it that's fine-there is just no way I can think about the show without remembering a lot of the terrible incidents that were inspired by it, which is why I personally hate it.

Edited by Ianpiersonjdavis

Sometimes, but I have other reasons for disliking certain things as well.  For example, perfume.  It's stings my eyes, it makes me light-headed, and it makes my allergies act up.  So I avoid people who practically saturate themselves with the stuff because my body has such a negative reaction to it and I have no idea why so many folks love it.  Those same people also tend to be loud and obnoxious, so there's that as well.

It also doesn't help with the forging of bonds when one decides that the key to befriending me is spraying perfume and window cleaner in my face.

Edited by Akari of Duskshire

I think it works with songs or whatever as well.

Let's say you LOVE a song to death. Then let's say that someone that you practically DESPISE also loves that very same song. The main question is, does the fact that he loves the same somewhat muddle my taste for the song? To me, it somewhat does. If that particular person is a massive **** to me, the fact that he enjoys the song will probably remain in my mind whenever I hear it. So that song I love is now associated with his jerkiness, somewhat souring it. lol

I can't think of anything where my opinion is influence by someone I dislike enjoying something.

I'm guessing it's for specific people. Maybe it's because they feel as if it's a personal thing? I do this thing where I begin to turn against something that certain people enjoy. Like the song. However, if someone I dislike were to tell me that a particular song is terrible, then I'd actually feel RELIEVED that they don't like it. I don't know why I do this, but I just do. :P

I did that as a Troll.

Whenever someone on Youtube said, that something is better than Mlp, i posted how bad and awful that thing is.

But i didnt feel happy about it, because i ended up insulting things i liked myself, so i stopped with that.

And now, i stopped caring about Haters. So i dont really have any reason, to hate something, just because someone i dont like, likes it.

I simply dislike the People, the Things they like have nothing to do with those awful people, so why hate on the things?