Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you hate something because someone you dislike likes it?

ashes

I know it's really petty, but ya lately I've immensely disliked a few things because other's liked them. like in the fairy tail fandom on tumblr in certain groups, there's like this EXPECTATION that you loooove juvia, gruvia, & gajevy (the last two are ships), and like if you disagree or like something else with any of those characters in it, you're wrong. so it's not so much because of specific person / group of people, but rather their attitudes towards these characters / ships and the way they practically shove them down other's throat that just ticks me off... like I'd probably like these ship or chars if they weren't constantly put on a pedestal of perfection.

lol it kinda applies to all fandoms really, nothing annoys me more than seeing someone absolutely PRAISE and demand you love a character. I'm a spiteful person hehe so there's a gREAT chance I'll just end up disliking then... e ue

okay rant over.

I hate quite a few shows because of people who would NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT.
AKA: Gravity Falls and Stevens Universe.
I get really negative tumblry vibes from most the people who like it. It didnt start from there though, it actually started from these two 11 year olds who would never shut up about it on a chat on another forum. EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. IT WAS ALL THEY TALKED ABOUT. Now both shows are engulfed by those SJW fans on tumblr. Gravity Falls doesn't look half bad to be totally honest, but I refuse to ever watch them. I'm practically afraid of the fans.
(No offense to anybody who likes the show!)

Well, I'm not necessarily talking about hating something simply because other people like it. I'm talking about disliking things that are enjoyed by people you personally don't like. Let's say there's someone you got in a fight with or something, and you both hate each other. Then you find out that they like something that you do, and you dislike it so you have less association with that person. It's alright if someone I'm alright with enjoys something I also enjoy. That's perfectly fine. It's enemies that I hate having the same interests I do, mainly because I want to have less in common with them. I can't even watch Markiplier or listen to Alice in Chains because of this reason. :P

Generally speaking, no. I like what I like and dislike what I dislike, world be damned.

That being said, I will never buy a Gerber knife for what is possibly the most petty reason/excuse out there. First of all, Gerber has the Bear Grylls knife series, and Bear Grylls has endorsed Walmart. I am so against Walmart's business practices that I would not walk into one even if there was a severe hailstorm and it was the only building around. The mental association with Walmart has tarnished my view of their knives despite the connection being flimsy. Second, my father has endorsed Gerber knives to me. This is the same person who judges me for being willing to spend money on an american made knife with decent steel to endorse a shitty china made knife with cheap steel just because the company is american. The same person who acts as if my knives are poorly maintained junk when I keep a fine edge on mine and he's never sharpened a single blade. Talking about knves with that man is incredibly frustrating, so when he tells me I should have bought a Gerber, there is no way in hell I'm buying Gerber.

I won't judge people who buy them. You can do better in that price range, but you can also do worse. I simply have too many ill-associations to add one to my collection.

After reading these replies, it turns out that this is way more common than I realized. Yeah, there's the few who said that it's a dumb thing to do, but there's a significant group here who said that they end up disliking something simply because someone they don't like happens to like or love it. Perhaps maybe it's a thing of "I don't like him, so he's wrong about everything, so everything he likes must automatically be terrible, including something I once loved."

Well, I tend to do this almost every minute of the day. It's gotten to the point where I'll check social media and such to see what else they like and dislike, and then sort my interests and such based on these. Either that, or have the mindset to abandon EVERYTHING I once loved and then create stuff myself.

Things I now hate because of other people:

Banjo-Kazooie

The Sonic Franchise

Modding

Linkin Park

Alice in Chains

Practically any popular video game

Any opinions they have

That's the tip of the iceberg. Heck, I'd go as far to say that I'd change my ORIENTATION to have less in common with these people.

Edited by Chad Devore

I just never gave things a chance when I knew that someone I loathed like that certain thing. One guy in my class like Elvis Presley when I was about 13, so I couldn't get myself to listen to his music until I grew up and realized how stupid that was. Same thing goes for Iron Maiden. And maybe a whole other bunch of stuff that I've forgotten about.

• 4 years later...

I try not to be that petty (keyword: try). I don’t enjoy when things are oversaturated by media or treated as a fad, but that does not reflect on the quality of the subject. For instance, Undertale is a good game despite its infamous fan base. Conversely, I don’t find TikTok appealing, but that opinion is based off my own interests instead of the user base. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Do I start disliking something because someone I hate likes it? No. I don't care. The reason I hate that person is not related to whatever we both like. I do not see a reason to enjoy the music of some artist less just because some asshole also enjoys it. It's not like I have to be with him to listen to music etc.

However, if the show/artist/etc has a reputation of being liked by assholes or "weirdos", I may not admit I like it to others so I do not get confused with them.

Edited by Pentium100

No I never come by to that before. I do get a bit annoyed over something that is over-hyped but disliking it? no.

I think it would be a bit petty to automatically dislike something just because someone you don't like likes it.  I understand that if you hate something because of what the creator of the series or whatever did.  For the average joe, I don't see the point in making that person's tastes dictate what you should or should not like.  They aren't worth the energy, it's best to simply move on with your life.  Though it's understandable if something like a diaper fetish would ruin something for you, I don't think I'd be all that happy seeing a favourite series of mine being treated in such a way by someone but again, if they aren't worth the energy it's best to move on with your life and stick to your own business.

No.  I don't think that anyone should let their likes and dislikes be affected by other people this way.  It's just a terrible game to be playing, and it hurts only yourself.  If you used to like something but then grew to hate it because your enemy likes it, then your enemy has won without even fighting your or knowing it.  Is that really how you want to be?  You'd be robbing yourself of happiness for no good reason.  Like what you like; it doesn't matter who else likes it or doesn't.