Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Opinions on The Force Awakens?

Gambit

I honestly thought it was AMAZING! Totally lived up to the hype. What do you think? :grin2:

Please, put a spoiler alert if you want to mention things that happened in the actual movie.

• Brohoof 3

it was good, although when Kylo ren removed his mask. everything threating of him just left the buildin.

I know!! I thought exactly the same. He's also weak as hell... I mean, defeated by someone who has never used a lightsaber before?

• Brohoof 2

I thought the film was amazing and wasn't something i expect from Disney... At all!. I'd say it's one of my favourites or even my favourite star wars film

I did however think the Villain was rubbish. I mean he was intimidating, but when i saw him use his lightlaber against another lightlaber... he just sucked XD. Someone like Obi wan or Darth Vader would of killed him instantly

• Brohoof 1

Movie was good I'm already hyped for the next one but the villain is trash.

Why the heck do they always have a spherical object with one exploitable weakness that destroys it completely? And if a stormtrooper can wield a lightsaber rather effectively against you, you should rethink your life because they can barely fire a blaster.

• Brohoof 1

I know!! I thought exactly the same. He's also weak as hell... I mean, defeated by someone who has never used a lightsaber before?

i guess the story was that he left before he finished training, but he was just sorta..you know, having temper tantrums.

• Brohoof 1

Loved it, actually, though alot of it was i anticipated, as it was pretty common fare for Star Wars. I'm not going to mention any of the details to refrain from spoilers.

• Brohoof 2

it was good, although when Kylo ren removed his mask. everything threating of him just left the buildin.

Thats the point. he is not a super bad ass, he is a wine kid that is trying to be a bad ass but is really insecure about him self and is trying so hard to be the "new vader" but is not really shore if he should be. I felt the same way when he took off his mask and then latter knew way they had him do it. 

I thought the film was amazing and wasn't something i expect from Disney... At all!. I'd say it's one of my favourites or even my favourite star wars film

I did however think the Villain was rubbish. I mean he was intimidating, but when i saw him use his lightlaber against another lightlaber... he just sucked XD. Someone like Obi wan or Darth Vader would of killed him instantly

He just got shot with chowies bowcaster! he should not even be walking around let alone fighting anyone. I think he was using the force to hold his wound during the hole fight and he must have been in a huge amount of pain. this is the number one complaint but I never her anyone say how injured he was before the fight even started.

i guess the story was that he left before he finished training, but he was just sorta..you know, having temper tantrums.

The temper tantrums are a big part of him trying to embrace the dark side. the dark side is all about letting your hate flow and he is really trying to do eveything he can to feel the dark side and that means letting his anger control him. his is not a master sith like vader that uses his anger. he is just a vader want a be that does not have control that a master sith would have

• Brohoof 1

Also

NOOOOOOOOO The Republic!, How dare they destroy the Republic... Though they did kill Jar Jar... But the Republic!!

at lest I gave a shit about the place that got blow up this time. the prequels had 3 hole movies to make be feel bad about aldran getting blown up but NO. they gave it a 1 sec thing at the end of 3. this time when they fired the laze may hart was braking the hole time and I felt awfal about an un countable number of people being killed. I meen that is one of the sadest thing that has ever happend in a movie if you think about it and in IV it is like a 1 minute shot and none is really all that upset about this place we have never seen full of people we have never meet getting blow up. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't even see it and I already know *** **** d*es. I censored the name for the people who didn't watch the movie. Your welcome.

The amount of stars that could form a certain name may be really obvious to who it will happen :blink:.

• Brohoof 2

I saw the movie last night. I have never watched a Star Wars film in full before and especially never one in theaters. Saw this, and wow, just WOW, it was amazing. The story, the characters, the good sense of humor, the set-pieces, the shots of the film, J.J. did an incredible job. This film pretty much made me an instant fan of the entire series and I really want to watch the original trilogy now.

Also, this makes me soooo excited that two more movies are on the way. :3

• Brohoof 4

I wasn't fully satisfied with the movie, I was content and we got a serviceable Star Wars. This movie was better than all three prequels, but I don't think will be timeless like the original trilogy. I describe the movie as an experience and that was it. I had fun and this definitely had the look of Star Wars down to a key. But I left not being mystified like I did with the original movies. Disney and Abrams did not impress me as far as story and originality went. New characters like Rey and Poe Dameron are welcome in my book. 

EDIT: My feelings have changed, it's an awful movie. I tried to like it but can't. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't seen episode 7 yet, but I'm about to see this movie tonight, and I have a great feeling about it. Considering it got 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 9.5/10 on IMDB, it's probably the best episode in the whole Star Wars franchise, as some people said. I'm looking very forward to it. :D

Edited by Ravelicious

It was good... I wouldn't call it great, but it was good.

I'd give it a 6/10

Yes, I rate movies very harshly. It seems nobody likes to use anything below a seven except if they're giving something a one.

If a five is okay, that's the average movie, and I felt SW:tFA was only slightly above mediocre... So therefore, a six.

• Brohoof 2

hope you like spoilers.

I'll address the, for me, worst part of the film first. One of my mates told me Han Solo died before I saw it. I was expecting a Major Kong from "Apocalypse now" sort of death for Han Solo, and what actually happened, in my opinion, was a load of utter horse shite. When I saw the bag full of grenades I though, 'Oh yah, he's gonna go out, take the bad guy with him, and give the others time to escape'. But it wasn't to be, and it left a sour taste in my mouth that such a symbol of heroism and just plain awesome died in such a shitty way.

The bad guy was a mopey "You don't understand me mum" sort, and all the characters were hardly explained. At all. I get the stormtrooper bloke, he was just a mindless clone who somehow broke his programming, but the woman? Rey, was it? Beyond "Some people left me when I was young", there's nothing there. Han Solo was included, I think, just to enhance the roll call. He played no major part in the film, really, apart from to reference the old films.

The plot line was horribly predictable. After the first twenty minutes, it was obvious who Kylo Ren was, and the shipping between finn and rey was obvious from the moment they met. The "Longingly staring into each other's eyes then quickly looking away" trope. The space dogfights were a bit shite too, mainly because- Only x-wings. Now, I'm hardly a die-hard star wars fan, but the disclusion of the A-wings, B-wings, and Y-wings rather pissed me off a bit. Oh look, we've got to bomb this great huge octagonal thing! Fuck the designated bombers, we don't need them. Send in the x-wings, but give them an edgy paint job so we can make more toys. Let's not forget the final fight scene, shall we? Finn has his back opened kidney to shoulder blade, but he's fine. The ground miraculously parts just as Rey is about to kill Ren, and then they just stare at each other for a while. Pretty sure Darth Vader's mask was left on the death star, so unless they pulled it out of space and sort of glued the bit that got burned back on, that's bullshit. This film was full of plot holes and flat characters, which, if it was the first film in a new series, wouldn't be so much of a problem. But it wasn't.

Another thing. This 'republic', that gets destroyed an hour into the film, does absolutely fuck all, and it's implied that they don't really give a shit about anything. Makes it seem as though the rebel alliance never progressed despite destroying the empire, in fact became smaller, and that they had no idea the first order had turned a whole fucking planet into a giant death cannon. You would have thought those bothan spies could be used more than once. Or that the rebels would have their bloody eyes open. Or that the empire wouldn't build another bloody death cannon with a massive bloody weakspot again, again

Blue lasers, too. It didn't need that. Just a small irk. Why not green, and purple, while we're at it? Strange how only the good guys used blue. And the force grabbing laser, right at the start. Pissed me off to no end.

But I grew up reading the official canon, so that sort of justifies my pissed-off-ness. sort of.

If it wasn't star wars, it'd probably be an alright film. But because it is, because it carries such weight, it was disappointing. I think it's impossible to make another 'good' star wars film, because the expectations are just TOO high. It'd be like making another indiana Jones film (That piece of shite may have had harrison ford, but it sure as hell wasn't Indiana Jones). Impossible. But it was better that Jar Jar Binks, I'll give em that.

I'd give it a 5/10, subject to change. It's taking me a while to get over the shittest death of the coolest character in the series.

Anyone else notice how, in the bit where the pro pilot bloke destroys the coolant thingy, flying around inside it, was suspiciously similar to the second death star run in Lego Star Wars II? Just a thought.

Edited by ForthEorl

It was basically a rehash of episode IV with no new environments, nostalgia that slaps you in the face in almost every scene, and the plot was just far too predictable for me. The writing was pretty mediocre. Near the end, it seemed kinda absurd that Rey could take on Kylo Ren , who has actual training with the force and light saber dueling; and even helped slaughter an entire academy of Jedi. She also could wield the Force much more quickly than Luke; and it took him 3 MOVIES in order to become competent enough to take on his father and use the force more effectively. Rey just kind of... did it within a few tries with no formal training. There are other issues I have with this movie, but I feel too lazy to go into more detail. The casting in this movie, however, was fantastic and the acting was satisfactory (apart from a few things, like Leia seeming not too affected by several nearby planets being decimated and billions of lives lost), with great visuals and cinematography.

This is pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell (I could go into more detail), but overall JJ Abrams seemed to face creative bankruptcy with no risks taken, and brings a plot to the table barely any different than A New Hope. I still enjoyed the movie, but it had so much more potential and it seems as if parts of the story were written by a film student.

Edited by Adri