Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Jon the VGNerd

WARNING! Contains Spoilers hidden in the spoiler box for those who has yet to see the movie so read at your own risk if you haven't watched it already. And yes, I know there's the Last Movie You Watched thread, but I figured that this thread would be for the Star Wars fans out there.

Yesterday, after a long, long wait for the Star Wars sequel to happen, The Force Awakens had finally hit the theaters. Now, I will admit, I wasn't a big Star Wars fan to begin with because it was out for so many years back then and I was all too unfamiliar with it. I was really surprised that the many people are eager to watch it so I decided to watch it for myself. I'll be perfectly honest; the movie had blown me away aside from a few flaws, and Kylo Ren and BB-8 are my favorites already! Especially the ending when I saw the aged Luke Skywalker! I would love to see if the sequel would bring up more origins regarding BB-8 and Kylo Ren. It was also a shame to see Han Solo end up dead at the hands of his own son (Kylo Ren was Ben Solo before), but still, the movie convinced me enough to become a fan of Star Wars, to say the least. Oh, and Finn's pretty awesome after turning his back on the First Order. What did you think about this movie? :)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, the thing is if you're not a big Star Wars fan congratulations. This movie is for you. Because that's how they can make the most money. It really wasn't made with fans in mind at all.

It's basically a parody of A New Hope.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, the thing is if you're not a big Star Wars fan congratulations. This movie is for you. Because that's how they can make the most money. It really wasn't made with fans in mind at all.

It's basically a parody of A New Hope.

That's not true at all. The biggest goal JJ had while working with the film was to satisfy the fans and I think he did a great job. Have you even listened to any interviews with him at all? You're basically explaining the opposite of what they did.

Also,

a parody of a new hope? Do you even know what a parody is? If anything it's more of a remake. ..But still, not really since it continues on the story after VI

• Brohoof 1

OMG, saw it yesterday at 1:30am in IMAX and it was totally worth it!! I tell you, the crowd hype was just amazing! When that Lucas films logo appeared, people started to clap, but that was just the beginning. As soon as the Star Wars logo appeared and the first note of the theme played, the whole IMAX movie theater just erupted into cheering and clapping. In addition, when the Millinium Falcon was revealed, there was cheering as well. Up to this hour, I still feel soooooo bad that Hans Solo had to die...by his own son...man...that was hard to watch...like the same exact way Quygon Jin died in the first episode. And now they Rey is the new Jedi and Luke has been found, we wonder if the next two episodes will follow the same way...or will they wrap everything up by Episode IX...

• Brohoof 1

It's been so long since the last good Star Wars movie came out, and I feel that the franchise is in good hands again.  J.J. Abrams did a fantastic job with Episode VII, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the upcoming films.  Here's what I liked about the film:

The new characters, especially Kylo Ren.  For one thing, he looks a lot like Anakin Skywalker from episodes II and III.  He's also a bit naive, which I didn't like at first, but in context makes a lot of sense.  He broke off from his training early, never learning good judgment or, from what I can grasp, honing his ability with a lightsaber.  I was a bit put off by the way he kept striking the wound in his side to deal with the pain, but I think that goes hand in hand with his personality.  He doesn't know how to properly deal with pain, so he tries to beat it into submission.  The lightsaber fighting, by the way, was so refreshing after all of the highly choreographed fights in the prequels.  The fighting in The Force Awakens actually felt like a real sword fight, where people are just hacking away at each other and inflicting blows left and right.

I also like how the stormtroopers have personality, now.  In this film, they experience fear in battle, display some sense of humor, and are just more relatable than in any of the other films.

There are a few things that I don't like about it, and these are mostly nitpicks.  My biggest gripe is that the Imperials built yet another big military installation that can blow up entire planets but can be destroyed by bypassing one shield and attacking one specific target.  At this point, this has become a cliche, and I don't understand who in the chain of Imperial command thought it was a good idea to try it again.  Third time's the charm, maybe?  Well, the big gun was wicked sick when it was used, at least.

Also, I don't really like Jakku.  It's more like "Tatooine II."  In fact, I don't see why they didn't just use Tatooine.  It's a big planet, after all, you could still use locales unexplored in the other films.  Instead, now there are two planets that are apparently nothing but desert.

Overall, though, I'm very pleased with the direction this film took.  J.J. Abrams has earned a banana sticker.

My biggest gripe is that the Imperials built yet another big military installation that can blow up entire planets but can be destroyed by bypassing one shield and attacking one specific target.

Somewhere out in the Unknown Regions, Thrawn was probably headdesking over the chronic impracticality of all his superiors.

• Brohoof 1

Somewhere out in the Unknown Regions, Thrawn was probably headdesking over the chronic impracticality of all his superiors.

A part of me is just a little bit upset that Thrawn didn't make it into the film and probably never will. He's my favorite character in the whole Star Wars universe. Also, when I was little I read the Young Jedi Knights series, which was about Han and Leia's twin children, Jacen and Jaina. I'm a bit miffed that they don't exist in this film and that one son, Ben, does instead.

After I saw the movie. I got the feeling that the movie is based on some stories from the "Extended Universe", which makes me believe one or two things about who Rey is. I've come up with a theory about it, but I've got things that both support it, and dismisses my theory to a certain point. If anyone is interested in hearing it, I can tell it in a PM, in case someone reading this is about to read all the different star wars novels that has been written, I don't want to spoil anything.

But the new movie was really amazing! Can't wait for episode 8! *Happy dance*

My theater was also very enthusiastic. Then again, It's another Star Wars, who wouldn't be happy? Also, when Ben killed his own father, I have to say, I totally saw it coming. Not throughout the whole movie of course, but first when Ben said that he needed the strength for something, and then wouldn't let go of the saber... that's when I turned down the setting on my D-Box so it wouldn't scare me too much. Ben doesn't seem like the type to turn to the light side that fast.

There were a couple things that bothered me about the film too. One, the whole movie I was waiting for Kylo Ren to say: "The dark side... and the light." But he never did! Maybe I missed it (probably, but I didn't ever leave the theater or look away really) or maybe it was only a trailer thing, but why would they shoot a separate clip for a trailer? Maybe I'm just being weird, but yea. Also, I thought that J. J. Abrams would come through with the whole 'Death Star II' situation. When they first said that they could just blow it up easy, I laughed and was like "Good one!" Well, I guess it had to be destroyed some time. Also, if third time's the charm then- well, we'll just have to see.

But I overall thought it was an amazing movie.

I saw The Force Awakens two days ago at my local cinema, and loved it from start to end! I can safely say that Star Wars is back and better than ever! I thought Phasma could've been used some more, and that Hux was a little dull, but Kylo Ren makes for a brilliant antagonist, all the actors were fantastic and the main leads were perfect. Also, the way they introduce C-3PO in this is bloody fantastic!

• Brohoof 3

That's not true at all. The biggest goal JJ had while working with the film was to satisfy the fans and I think he did a great job. Have you even listened to any interviews with him at all? You're basically explaining the opposite of what they did.

Also,

a parody of a new hope? Do you even know what a parody is? If anything it's more of a remake. ..But still, not really since it continues on the story after VI

I'm not interested in anything he says because it's mostly lies. He also claimed to be a fan of Star Trek at one time. I don't think he really has any idea of what being a fan is.

It means you want the story to progress and to get deeper into the universe, not see the same thing over and over again and more flash and explosions.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film. I think that the direction it was taking is a good leap from the mistakes of the prequels, and a strong acknowledgement of what made the original trilogy timeless.

I think it's tragic that a couple fans continue to think that this film is a mistake. I heavily doubt that JJ Abrams would go out of his way to have real props, practical effects, and a classical approach to the film if he didn't have the best interests for the saga.I understand that criticism is important for quality control, but I fail to see why people strongly dislike it. I found that it felt so strongly reminiscent of the original trilogy, while still being able to introduce a brand new arsenal of characters. I was particularly happy with the choreography of the final lightsaber duel. It's funny how people can say they miss the original trilogy's lightsaber duels but then proceed to criticize the new film for following the same style. I strongly feel that many people are quick to dislike the new film because of a pre-conception that because it's not the original trilogy, no matter how hard the team tries to follow in the original trilogy's footsteps, it automatically fails.

Also, for people who have a strong hate for Disney because of its disregard for the Expanded Universe, we do see JJ Abrams channeling influence from the EU within the film. People were begging Disney to do something with the EU, and they have. Reminder that Force Stasis, Force Mind Domination, the ability to steal energy from the sun (similar to the Star Forge), and Rakata Prime (the final location) are pretty much canon now? It's humorous because now people are hating on JJ Abrams for channeling influence from the EU. Some people simply cannot be content...

Edited by The Shaman
  • Brohoof 1

I saw it on Friday and rather enjoyed it. I think it's a worthy successor to the original trilogy, giving a new cast a chance to do stuff in the SW universe. It is, as mentioned elsewhere, a bit of a re-do of Episode IV, but it gives a new cast of characters a chance to do stuff in that universe without too much slavish adherence to the past. It's "Star Wars: The Next Generation" and I'm perfectly ok with that. Heck of a lot better than any of the prequels, that's for sure. 

• Brohoof 2

I liked it. It's a very good film. But I can't say I love it. There's just something holding me back from saying that and I'm not quite sure what it is. I wanna save my thoughts for a proper review but I liked the characters, I loved the atmosphere, I liked the visuals, I liked the story but I just can't call it amazing and I don't know how it compares to the original films. 

I really enjoyed Star Wars, wanted to get my own BB-8

there been some Surprices in the movie, Kylo Ren was son of Han Salo and Lisa, Knew Kylo would killed his father Han Salo. He so into the Dark Side. Sad and shock that Han Salo got killed. Did have feeling Kylo Ren was Luke Skywalker. Good to see him in the end.

• Brohoof 1

Yup, I saw the movie yesterday. In fact, it was so awesome that the
crowd in the movie theater actually were clapping and laughing
along with the movie. Especially when we saw the Star Wars logo
in the beginning of the movie, almost EVERYONE WAS CLAPPING
at that moment. :icwudt:

Also, does anyone else think that Kylo Ren (a.k.a Ben Solo) is kind of like a
of like a different or younger version of Darth Vader? :lol:

I really liked Kylo Ren, the fact that in the beginning he seems like this intimidating force. Only to show he is conflicted, insecure and has flaws. Really completes his overall character for me. He will be getting more training so in future movies I hope to see a more intimidating Kylo.

• Brohoof 1

The thing about this movie that I liked is that even though it's obvious that they were kind of 'playing it safe' with the storyline and the formula (probably to make it more accessible to new fans), there were enough twists to keep even long term fans engaged.

There's at least one big moment in this movie that's going to blindside long term fans (though I admit, I kind of had a feeling this was going to happen at some point, not necessarily in this movie but somewhere in the new trilogy; I just didn't realize it would be THIS movie that it would happen in).

Edited by SBaby

i think JJ could have done a fuck ton better if disney didn't fucking destroy 35 years of SW cannon like the sith and jedi Holocron's that could learn from, or the fact that snoke is either Plagaus or..OR ONE OF PALPATINE'S clone's like HELLO. i'm a EU fan of recent like 8 moths but still disney fuck you... 95% of the EU fandom hate you.

• Brohoof 1

The Force Awakens has got to be the best one in the entire Star Wars franchise. IMO, this is basically a remake of A New Hope.

Also, R.I.P. Han Solo. You will be missed.

• Brohoof 1

SPOILERS AHEAD

I thought it was good, far superior to The Phantom Menace, but it didn't blow me away or anything. Actually, my biggest pet peeve was that the movie felt like a complete rehash of the original Star Wars. At times it felt more like a remake than a sequel. Finn was the new Han. Rey was the new Luke. Kylo Ren was the new Vader. Snoke was the new Palpatine. Han was the new Obi-Wan. BB-8 was the new R2-D2. Luke was the new Yoda. My second pet peeve is that we probably won't be seeing any characters from the Expanded Universe. No Thrawn, no Pelleon, no Joruus, no Mara Jade, and Boba Fett probably won't be brought back either. I guess too much time has passed in real life to adopt the Thrawn trilogy, although I do hope that Snoke isn't really a reborn Palpatine or something dumb like in Dark Empire.

Now onto the good stuff. Simply seeing the "original" X-wings, TIE fighters, and stormtroopers onscreen again was astounding and as was seeing Chewie, Han, and Leia. John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Oscar Issac were all awesome actors and a lot better than I thought they would be. The special effects and scenery were all really nice and appealing without being too distracting or computerized. And of course, John Williams' score was epic as always. Last but not least, no Jar Jar or any other gungan. trollestia.png

Here's hoping that the follow up to TFA isn't just The Empire Strikes Back 2: Electric Boogaloo. derpytongue2.png