Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever forget MLP is a "little girls show"?

NeonCobalt

Well, I see the show as something anyone can enjoy, not just little girls. But when I'm shopping in the pink isle, I do realize that while I'm seriously collecting these toys, there are little girls who will play with the toys as well.

No, I don't forget that this show is targeted at families. I also don't forget that, just as children can enjoy this without their parents, so can adults who don't have children. c:

I never forget that it's a family show, just as I never forget that the sun is bright.  In my mind, it's common knowledge, what's the big deal?

Nope, because it's factually wrong to call it a little girls' show. FIM is an all-ages, unisex, family-friendly show that aims to capture all demographics regardless of age or gender. Good quality is demographically blind.

Oh, trust me, I completely understand this, that's why I put "little girls show" in quotes in the topic title, because while it may not be aimed only at little girls, it's the assumption most people make, including most non-bronies, which includes most of us before we became bronies.

No, i never pretend it would be something else.

I always saw it as a little girls show and it still technically is one. And i know that.

But i still watch it. And i thought more than once, to even watch a second more female targeted show for a younger audience.

I know that its a show more meant for little girls, but i still watch it and always will.Because i like it.

Heh, I always remember that mlp was made for the purposes of Hasbro making lot of money by aiming the show for little girls, but after the brony fandom rose to the scene, I don't believe it even matters anymore. This show is for everypony who loves the magic of friendship. :squee:

Nope, because it's factually wrong to call it a little girls' show. FIM is an all-ages, unisex, family-friendly show that aims to capture all demographics regardless of age or gender. Good quality is demographically blind.

MLP has generally been marketed towards young girls, so it's not too far off to say that it's a little girl's show. However, that's not a criticism of the show, nor should people think it is. It's wonderful that people outside the intended demographic can find enjoyment in it.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 3

No, and the show's target demographic hardly matters to me. A bad story for kids (or little girls in this case) is still a bad story, and the same can be said with a good story.

If anything, it should be targeted at the creative team before the demographic.

But G4 is not a little girls show. It's a "family show". It was intended to be something that the parents could enjoy with their kids, not just a toy commercial cartoon like the previous ones were. So, I never once thought of it as a little girls show.

• Brohoof 1

What the above have said. It's a family oriented show, with smart writing, fantastic songs, brilliant acting. There's enough pop culture references to entertain children of all ages (meaning adults), all while retaining the spirit and truth that speaks to both very young children and full grown adults alike.

Do I ever forget that at its core is a show about talking ponies, in bright colors, with merchandise gears to mostly young girls? I can't forget this, as I have one that loves the show; but out of all the children's programming out there, this is far away my favorite. It could have just been a silly little cutesy show for girls, but the talent of the staff pushes it beyond that. If the show was just pure and simple an entertaining show for young girls, and they left it at that, without the talent and drive behind it, there would not be the community and adult following. You don't see this kind of adult following for Sofia The First (checks before posting).

If the show was just pure and simple an entertaining show for young girls, and they left it at that, without the talent and drive behind it, there would not be the community and adult following. 

You do know that it could be a well written show with both talent and drive behind it even if it's a show for young girls, right? 

You do know that it could be a well written show with both talent and drive behind it even if it's a show for young girls, right? 

Yes. Of course. Sorry if I didn't give other shows enough credit.

I've never forgotten it for even one second, because being aimed at little girls does not even begin to mean that something can not be good. In fact, it's really only when this show has went outside of its target audience that it has been really bad.

• Brohoof 2

I still don't see why so many people have to get defensive every time someone calls it a "Girl's Show" as if it's a bad thing, like it's somehow degrading and insulting to the show, and have to go out of their way to "prove" that it's a "family show"

In the grand scheme of things, all that should matter is if it's good or not

• Brohoof 3

I gotta be honest, I sometimes completely forget who this show is technically targeted at. Anyone else experience this?

Yeup.

Sometimes it sticks out like a sore thumb (the ending to S5 Finale), but most of the time it isn't really obvious.

MLP has generally been marketed towards young girls, so it's not too far off to say that it's a little girl's show.

No. Even when the toys market to girls, it doesn't change how the OG and FIM — on an animation level, at least — have been developed as unisex and family-friendly. MLP founder Bonnie Zacherle stated at least twice that she helped create MLP as a unisex toyline, one of 'em in 2013 when a female brony asked her about the brony phenomenon.