Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever forget MLP is a "little girls show"?

NeonCobalt

I posted here before about how it seems easy to forget and I still hold to that, but it really dawned on me yesterday when I found myself channel surfing and ending up on a kid's channel and seeing MLP was coming up next. I don't know if it was the fact I was watching it on a kids channel and was fully aware of that fact, or if it was the fact I'd watched The Littlest Petshop before it started but I found myself watching MLP at that point with a totally different mindset.

Not really in fact it's becoming progressively more evident as one now. Before it had a lot of episodes that seemed out of the norm but now they seem very generic and simplified towards a younger audience.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

I get reminded every time by that annoying intro with the rainbow and the "My Little Pony logo". It is a show for little girls, and will always be.

Spoiler

I'll still watch it

• Brohoof 1

Season 1 may have been more directed at girls but season 2 onward was all about making a dope show regardless. I also like telling people that I like to watch. The face they make is priceless... until they watch the show themselves. 

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 1

Didn't feel that way back in season 1 and 2. The fact they drop lots of pop references that mostly only teens and adults might catch up to doesn't help it.

However, like that banished user said, later on the show turned more simplistic and generic to the point they needed to refresh the show through 2 not-so-kid friendly characters in later seasons (Glimmer and Trixie feel weird given how their episodes develop). And then the school of friendship was a huge "this is a little girls' show! Don't you ever forget!" thing. Think about it, the title itself goes beyond absurdity for any adult, but sounds fine with a child's mindset.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 2

It was originally meant just for preschoolers (referring to 1981 when the first toy came out). It was a little groomable pony toy for little girls. It wasn’t expected to get that popular. Well, it did. So many people way older than grade school age were collecting them and obsessing over them. Because of this, they made it a tv show. The show was very juvenile for many years until g4 when the brony fan base was big enough to be considered when making the show. The writers made the themes a bit darker for older viewers (like slavery, a world war, brainwashing, etc). At the same time, they made sure to keep it enough for little kids and kept the show’s juvenile nature (cupcakes, rainbows, whatnot). So yeah. Mlp from the very beginning was meant for little girls, but g4 was meant for all ages (and that way is here to stay 😄). 

Sometimes I forget this show's target demographic are little girls because of how writers can somehow push some boundaries which entertains me as an adult fan but still try to keep itself being light-hearted for kids. I think Friendship School story arc is fairly balance between "for kids" and "for teen" (like a school teaches people about making friends but one of its students take advantage of the friendship concept in the twisted and malice ways and she is a little girl and a gosh dang psycopath, you get an idea).

• 1 year later...

I tend to forget it almost constantly. The only things which reminds me about this fact are

• The MLP:FiM Intro
  • Everytime they put "My little Pony/Ponies" into the dialog
  • When Twilight writes/dictates a letter to Princess Celestia

But I don't thinks it's bad to be reminded of that. The fact the show made me forget about it's original target audience almost constantly speaks for it's quality.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

No. I always remember MLP being a little girls show, right down to the freaking intro. When I first got into show in 2013, I knew I'm not gonna enjoy it because of how sugary sweet it was. However, I quickly got over it because how much the show surprised me a lot. FiM really meant a lot to me growing up. Despite it's flaws, the show still holds near and dear to my heart.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think that the case anymore. MLP toys, yeah they might come out as childish or girly but the show is pretty decent syndication

When I watch a really dark episode like The Cutie Map I sometimes forget that it is a girls show. Otherwise no. It doesn't matter to me that it is made for little girls, I still enjoy it anyway! :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 1