Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Told my parents MLP after 3 years of hiding it (story thread)

KalarMar

This is a story thread where you can tell your story about how you told your parents about MLP. Here is mine:

Back when i was about 5 i used to watch Power Puff Girls. I liked it a lot but my dad laught at me when he discovered I liked PPG. It wasn't a long laugh, but from that point on I started hiding what I watched e.t.c. It could range from Totally Spies, Yu-gi oh to eventually in 2009 Chuggaaconroy (youtube). I always had a tab open so I could hide what I was doing.

2012 I found MLP by watching "Teens React to MLP" on youtube, I then later watched "Bronies React to Teens React to MLP". I then became a Brony. Then today came and I told my parents about MLP and basically told them that I 1) Enjoyed the show 2) Characters was well written 3) Really disappointed that my dad laught at me when I was just 5.

My dad had his face down. My mom was in tears. I thought it would be hard for me, but the hard part was only like 1min max then they was the ones who was sorry.

I had it hidden for 3 years. I think about MLP everyday since I was a brony. And remember boys, be a man and tell your parents stand up for yourself god dammit!

Share your story. Everyone can be with and contribute, no matter if you're a girl/boy, young/old or if your parents know/not-know

• Brohoof 13

Pretty simple for me. Ironically I always justified it by saying it reminded me of powerpuff girls (PPG was excepted in my home). My mother just doesn't really care or think about it much and my Dad still likes to poke fun at me for it every now and then. 

• Brohoof 2

I haven't told anybody about watching MLP and don't see any real need to. My interests are my own and other people's opinions matter not.

Sure, MLP is a little more "embarrassing" than most and that probably factors into intentionally keeping it more secret than I would other things. That said, it would not be the end of the world if someone found out. They're not going to guilt me out of liking what I like.     

Edited by Gearbox10mm
  • Brohoof 7

I never directly told my parents. I told my older brother because I couldn't stand hiding it. Later, he decided he would be a prick, and he told them in an attempt at antagonizing me.

They thought it was a joke, but eventually they realized I genuinely love FiM. They were not very happy about it.

• Brohoof 1

I remember starting to watch some of the episodes, and eventually came out to my parents later. This is what I said "Hey, you know how there are these people called bronies who are like boys who watch My Little Pony?" ... "Well, I've been looking at it, and...I'm pretty sure I'm one of them."

I told my father that i watched Mlp and he simply asked me if im serious.

I simply responded, that i couldnt just watch horror movies for the rest of my life.

Than he said " Well, i guess your right. " and we both laughed.

Than nobody ever mentioned it again and it didnt change anything.

My Mother simply found the Cartoon to be cute. So she hadnt anything against it.

My sister as far as i remember, didnt reacted to it directly. And some of my Family members like the Pony Pictures i post on Facebook, so...

Nobody has something against it.  :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Well, it was a little weird.

I had a Spitfire wallpaper on my computer, and i used to try to block it all the time when he passed by. He stopped me and asked me why.

Now I remember joking with him and telling him I liked mlp as a joke. But I was like "What would you do if i liked the new my little pony show?"(and i was kinda laughing when i said it). He said he wouldn't really care. And well a few days later i just said it straight up i liked the show in front of two other people.

My dad didn't seem to care at all, so I guess he was okay with it. He does tease me about it sometimes, but my dad and I joke around a lot so I know it's not like he's trying to offend me cause i tease him too. And when i started liking MLP it's not like i completely changed my life either, so everybody has been fine with it since they all found out.  :ph34r:

• Brohoof 3

I had seen Teens React also, and decided to explore. Got hooked immediately, and began to find ways to watch it. I didn't want to be embarrassed later in life, so I tried to work up the courage to tell my parents. Eventually, I finally did it on a car ride home from my moms school. I told her I had something embarrassing to say, and told her. Both my mom and dad are completely fine with it. My younger brother even almost started watching it (that would have been a nightmare, I already hate how much he loves Doctor Who even though he doesn't watch it and I do).

My parents occasionally seem upset with me for watching the show, but being female, I guess they kinda just accept it better. But sometimes when I buy pony stuff, they try to tell me to get something else instead of a toy. But really, I do t this k it matters as long as you're enjoying something like MLP. There's nothing wrong with it.

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually still hiding the fact that I'm watching MLP from everyone in my family. Yes everyone. Instead of like everyone's parrents here, mine are sooooo judgmental and who knows what might happen to me if they found out. Heck I'm also hiding the fact that I'm browsing the forums and also keep another tab open just incase and alt+f4 is a normal thing for me.

The fact I told my mom I had depression and she scolded me for being sooo sad, I mean its not like I have a choice to be sad also -_- so because of that I'm never ever gonna reveal anything to my family. They're always judging me -_-

• Brohoof 4

Sadly I have those type of parents who are very judgmental. The moment I told them they give me heck for enjoying a girls show. They know I enjoy the show and they also know that I snap at the slightest bit of criticism. 

• Brohoof 1

My mom was actually pretty happy about it because most people around my age and my school do all sorts of horrible things and I think she thought it would positively influence me or something. She found out when she saw my Pinkie Pie plushie.

• Brohoof 5

I started watching it first at uni (as this is where I was introduced to the show) and when term ended, I just put it on the TV at home. I never really announced it to anyone, I just watched it and talked about it just like I do with other shows I like. ;)

I never understood why some parents treat liking this show like it is bringing forth the apoclypse itself.

My story though is a pretty simple one. I was curious about FiM for an entire year before finally watching it. Then I watched it, fell in love with the show, joined the fandom like a day later and the way I told my parents was simple. My dad found out when I ordered a Fluttershy shirt, then I just explained it to him. My mom, I told her about it later. My dad doesn't get it but he is not against it. My mom is quite cool with it. She has even checked out the show herself and enjoyed it. :3 I guess I can say that I am one of the more lucky ones in that regard. They never questioned it or rejected it, so I am free to enjoy it as I please. 

The rest of it is history, it has been a pretty interesting 3 years since then in my life.

• Brohoof 2

I have a strange story it was my dad that actually actually got me into mlp I watched it for a bit before that but after talking about it and watching it with him I found it was easier than hideing the fact I liked it. By the way for thoses of you don't know my dad is bogrick he's the one who showed me the forums and the amazing fan base

I'm actually still hiding the fact that I'm watching MLP from everyone in my family. Yes everyone. Instead of like everyone's parrents here, mine are sooooo judgmental and who knows what might happen to me if they found out. Heck I'm also hiding the fact that I'm browsing the forums and also keep another tab open just incase and alt+f4 is a normal thing for me.

The fact I told my mom I had depression and she scolded me for being sooo sad, I mean its not like I have a choice to be sad also -_- so because of that I'm never ever gonna reveal anything to my family. They're always judging me -_-

Depression can be solved a significant amount from some exercise such as light jogging, brisk walking, swimming, or strength training. (those exercises are known for longevity) Sitting around and not doing much with your hands or physically can cause brain atrophy and it can progress depression or mental illness. 

Also I'm a closet brony, probably from my own issues, mom is judgemental but not too much I'm more worried what my older brother would think and I hate being teased because being teased when I was little was like bullying almost since my cousins did it too much so it sorta bothers me, but I think I can learn to ignore it. Or its simply how improperly my mom raised me psychologically speaking or that I was bullied in middle school or etc etc. Everyone here has some issues, which my mom likes to say 'everyone has something wrong with them' to justify it even though some people are obviously not dysfunctional. And I know for a fact since I mentioned mlp a couple times to my younger brother that he is getting me some darn mlp deck lol for christmas so um, yeah thats going to be awkward. 

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 1

I still haven't told them, and it's been well over three and a half years since I started watching the show. My goal is to keep it a secret until the show ends. That way, they won't be able to ruin it for me.

When they find out, it'll probably go something like this:

Parents: WHAT?!? You watch My Little Pony?!?

Me: Yep.

Parents: How long has this been going on?

Me: I dunno... five years?

Parents: O_O

Edited by Detritus
  • Brohoof 2

My father found out when I was watching PONIES: The Anthology without any headphones, and he's caught me watching a couple episodes as well. He doesn't mind it.

I told my mother (subtly) during a lengthy discussion at dinner one night. It was an interesting one afterwards. She's fine with me being a brony/pegasister and all.

I originally wanted to keep being a brony a secret but I let slip a small show reference to my brother. He got curious but after showing him the episode Sisterhooves Social (the burnt juice reference), he told my mom about it and it spiralled out of control from there. 

Cut to today with my mother still playfully teasing me about it and my dad and brother not talking about it. I thought the results would be worse but everything turned out better than expected. 

I really don't know how my parents feel about me being a brony. I told my parents like maybe 3 years ago after telling my mom that I wanted to buy a pony shirt online. They seemed OK with it, I mean there have been a few times where I've had to answer questions about it.

But, after reading up a little on Bronies, I think my parents are ok with it. They wished I didn't watch it, but there are quite a few things I do which they wished I didn't.( watch a lot of animated movies, watch a lot of pro wrestling etc. etc.)