Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Told my parents MLP after 3 years of hiding it (story thread)

KalarMar

I haven't told my parents because I see no reason to. If/when they or my siblings catch me watching it, I plan to tell them a good friend got me into it, that I like it because said friend really likes it and it grew on me. That's mostly true, even. Then I'd have no qualms buying merch.

I never directly told my parents. I told my older brother because I couldn't stand hiding it. Later, he decided he would be a prick, and he told them in an attempt at antagonizing me.

To be honest, what a horrible brother.

Told my mom, got a simply "Ok" in response. 

Told my dad, Got a simple "Cool." in response.

They couldn't care less :P

I also told my friends, And they were beaming... ​They were the ones who told me to watch the show :P

Edited by InTEMsive

To be honest, what a horrible brother.

Yes, we were very distant for a long time. My tale does have a happy ending, however. Once he admitted that he also liked the show, it became much easier for me to forgive him.

(He was also diagnosed with autism at 13, so that complicates my feelings. I try not to hold anything against him, especially since he is getting better.)

Hi everypony. This is my first post. Well, I'm an adult, in my 30s, and I feel awful that I used to think bronys were weird less than a year ago. Then my daughter watched the show for the first time when the season started, and I watched too...and I've been hooked since. My wife thinks I like it a little too much...but she doesn't want to miss any new episodes either, so that's been great. Just yesterday she said "my daughter's obsessed with My Little Pony, my husband's obsessed with My Little Pony. I'm surrounded." In a playful way. 

On to the parents thing.

I mentioned how I love the show as much as my daughter does to my own parents, and they both made fun of me. One even said "I wouldn't say that out loud in public if I were you."  It sucks that you can be an adult and have a life of your own, and even then you can be criticized just for liking something...even if it's as amazing as MLP:FIM. Anyway, thanks for listening and having such a wonderful community.

• Brohoof 5

Since liking a cartoon is not really a life changing event for me, I really don't feel the need to tell anyone about my interests unless it's a topic of discussion at hand. I'm also secure in my masculinity enough to where I do not feel threatened by other people thinking what I like is not "manly" enough because I really don't give a damn. My facial hair does not magically fall off from liking it, my wife does not stop sleeping with me, and my genitals do not turn into a vagina, so clearly the only people insecure about their masculinity are the ones who feel the need to justify liking a cartoon or those who don't want other people to watch it.

Telling my parants about me being a brony and liking the show, they didnt even mind. We used to have a horse farm, so they didnt think it was weird at all. Since we owned horses pretty much my whole child hood. (Dont have the horses anymore due to the money getting tight we couldnt really afford 8 horses to feed and keep up to date, so we got rid of them to a family friend.) 
But I always liked the horses, had my own little miniture named Pokey. Last I heard he is doing just fine. :) 

• Brohoof 2

Yes, we were very distant for a long time. My tale does have a happy ending, however. Once he admitted that he also liked the show, it became much easier for me to forgive him.

(He was also diagnosed with autism at 13, so that complicates my feelings. I try not to hold anything against him, especially since he is getting better.)

So... he never apologized for it? He knew you trusted him and he ruined in anyway.

So... he never apologized for it? He knew you trusted him and he ruined in anyway.

Well, no. He did those kinds of things all the time, so I should've known better than to trust him. It really could have ended a lot worse than it did, so I elect to ignore how he acted.

Also, I hate to bring this up again, but he is autistic. He's not very well at social communication, but he is getting help for it.

For me I just said out of the blue "I watch MLP" as they thought I was kidding I watched it directly in front of their faces, they laughed and teased me about it for a while but later on they don't seem to care.

I'm seemingly lucky in having a strongly liberal family; they found out when I left Equestria Daily open on my PC, and neither care. My Dad makes typically cringey Dad jokes about it, and my Mum actually keeps telling me to stop instinctively hiding it when they're around. I'm more fortunate than most, which is something I'm pretty thankful for.

I couldn't figure out how to bring it up so I just put it on and not change the channel when someone entered the room and wait for them to ask about it. I ended up waiting a few weeks for my parents to say anything before I found out they already knew about bronies and were okay with it. The only person I live with that I had to explain it to was my brother. He was shocked but he shut up once I explained bronies to him. Since then, if anyone asks, I tell them.

Honestly,

My dad knows, but is confused on why I like this stuff... but also kinda makes fun of me for it lol.

My mom doesn't care cause her thing is, as long as I'm happy, she's happy.. Same goes for my stepmom.

My stepdad is kinda curious, but is overall okay with it.. My stepdad is super chill :)

My story? Back in 2012, I was just your averaged 13 year old (I was 14 when I joined MLPForums). I was just going through my youtube like I always do everyday and then I found this video from somewhere called "Save Derpy". I'm pretty bucking nosey when it comes to alot of things.. that's just how I am.

So, I clicked on that video and I tell ya.. I was saddened. So, I did some research on it and I watched the episode "The Last Roundup"

After that, I was like, hmmm not bad. So, I watched another... and another... and another... I was hooked.

That's basically it. I don't regret telling my parents I'm a brony or becoming one. It's the best damn decision I've ever made in my life. (Brohoof this post if you feel the same way! :) )

Edited by ~SadisticFluttershy~
  • Brohoof 3

Share your story.

My story is the opposite of yours. I went to Arizona, and then I spend a week or two there. In that time period, my brother said, ''Dylan, I'm a brony.'' I ask, ''What's that?'' he says, ''It's a guy who likes My Little Pony''. I reply with ''You're weird'', and I was quite confused. One day, I was on the couch, then my cousins decided to turn MLP on, and I really did not want to watch it, but I have a tendency to keep my eye on a screen. I felt forced to watch it, because it had the brightest colors in my sight and I also couldn't help but listen to the language and sound in general that corresponds with what's going on on the screen. But then I learned that MLP is a good show and then I became addicted. I then became an open piece of s*** about it, and then there were people that thought I was weird. There was a moment when our aunt walked in and sarcastically said ''Stop watching My Little Pony, you sill little children!''. There have been so many times, more than one would be willing to count, that I told someone and they thought I was weird. There was several years of being an open f*** until one day I decided to hide everything. There was an incident where my mom walked in when I was watching MLP, and then I mashed the heck out of the home button, then she asked what I was watching. I said, ''I don't want you do know what I'm watching, but I assure you it's not NSFW.'' She replies with ''That's not something to hide'', but I don't want to be made fun of. So I decided I should watch MLP on the deck, but I realized that I have neighbors, and they come outside sometimes. One day, my brother and his friends decided to tidy up the basement so that they can do stupid s***, so now I can watch MLP where neither my neighbors or my family should know.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came down for dinner as usual, then when we were done I was like, "Alright, I'm gonna watch some more My Little Pony." Then my stepdad laughed for a bit and said, "Alright, have fun." So yeah, not much excitement there.

I tried to get my mom to watch an episode, she thought Rainbow Dash was a boy and then fell asleep. Pretty sure she forgot the show even exists by now.