Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Classic vs. Modern

Scarface47

In this day and age in gaming, what are your gaming consoles of choice & what games do you play the most?

Do you like the classics like the NES to Sega Genesis or Mega Drive or the modern games on the PS4 or Xbox One.

There are many, many classic games that I love, but even with the now questionable business tactics that companies are employing in gaming today, I still would have to go with modern gaming systems, mainly because they provide excellent games and so much more beyond that. The Xbox One is my favorite gaming console ever because of this and I own more games for it than I have for any other system. Plus, classic style games can live on today as well. 

I just like good games, I play both, a lot of classic games that are held highly really don't stack up to modern games.

This is a really good response as well. 

• Brohoof 1

tumblr_lxskt49p0z1r2efvco1_500.gif

I used to be a 90's wannabe, and I mostly play modern games on PC as opposed to Xbox One or PS4, but even then, I can enjoy a game like Super Mario World and Sonic 3 & Knuckles just as much as I can enjoy playing a game like Undertale or Terraria.

I don't really judge games by the era they're in, as long as I like it, I'll play it.

• Brohoof 3

I'm the same way. It's all about the games, past & present. I just want to think that game companies would get it in their heads that some people just want great games and for once to try not to milk us to death for all of our hard earned money.

The games I enjoyed the most, mostly fall in between classic and modern, like the late N64 era and GCN era.

However, if I have to choose between them, I'm definitely going Modern. I say this not only because I think Nintendo has released many great games between the 3DS and Wii U (other developers that I'm interested in, too, however few that may be), but also because I just prefer modern over classic. I like big, detailed 3D worlds with music performed by real instruments.

NES games tend to be simplistic (I really noticed this with the games Nintendo released with the Ambassador's Program... They're practically mini-games), and much more frustrating than fun. I do not play games for any kind of challenge, I play them to relax. Thus 'classic' games are just endless frustration to me. They're dated, too. I honestly have no clue what it is with people these days and being so obsessed with 2D pixilated styles and NES-style music... It's dumb. Seriously.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the games. Personally, I find most of the new titles horrible cause of the marketing & most the modern consoles themselves tend to be not as reliable in the long run. I have got a PS4 since I bought it in October of 2014 & I hardly play it, but every time I do play it, I keep hearing a clicking noise every so often that I'm afraid it's going to explode.

Edited by Scarface47

As long as the game is good, I'm in. 
I do like playing classics still due to the fact, if I played them before. I get that Nostalgic feel. 
Such as the old Final Fantasy games such as FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, FFX and the online one FFXI. 
I also played a lot of other games and when I get a chance to play them again I do. 

Though if you say modern choice. I play more games on my Xbox One more then I do on PS4. 
But a lot of games I own is on PC. 

I don't really care much for the age of the game, as long as it's fun to play. My preferred game is something where you can play "competitive", as in either play against others online or play offline but having high-scores or something similar. I'm not a big fan of playing story based games. I love watching others play them though.

• Brohoof 1

I have a difficult time getting through some of the oldschool mentalities in older games. Things like difficulty being ramped up to an unfair level to encourage replaying a stage over and over again or having an RPG be super grindy. These are not what I would call good game design. Old games, whether by design or because someone screwed up, are riddled with problems like this that are mostly absent in more recent games.

I'll always give any game a decent shot but modern gaming is where it's at. A much higher percentage of games that have very few problems that can frustrate the gamer for no reason. Even the most mediocre of recent games works well enough to be playable. The lowest standard of quality has risen considerably and it shows.

• Brohoof 3

I like both. However some newer games seem hand holdy. Rich environments; no challenge. When I beat LA Noire, I was kind of upset knowing that none of my choices mattered and I partook in a button pushing storybook. Then you haveRed Dead Redemption which is rich environments, with a good amount of challenge, Plus fantastic writing and acting. My favorite modern game.

Some classic games were awful and overchallenging. But some insanely difficult games were great, like Mega Man 2. The best mix were challenging and looked good: Super Mario Bros. 3 and Zelda: A Link To The Past come to mind. Flawless diamonds of gaming there.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

Why not both? There are tons of aspects I enjoy in old games, just as I do in modern games. A game's age doesn't matter to me, as long as I like its gameplay, story, and/or aesthetics, I'm sold.

That being said, coincidentally, my favorite games are neither old nor new, most are from the 2000's, give or take a few years. Red Alert 2, WarCraft 3, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, etc. However I also love Doom, Red Alert 1, StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3, so there's a few favorites on those ends of the spectrum as well. :P

One thing I can say I definitely like more in modern games than old ones is controls & convenience. For example, in most modern hack and slash/dungeon crawler RPGs, you automatically collect gold by walking over it. In old ones, you have to pick up each stack of gold coins. It's not a game changer, but it's definitely less tedious. :D

While it's more the case "if the game is fun, then I enjoy it" I find that I mostly stick to modern games over classics and even the older games that I do play aren't exactly the same sort of 'classics' other people talk about.

So I'd say modern :)

• Brohoof 1

I like both personally, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. Some modern games hold your hand too much, try to be to be "Cool" and the company's business practices are far more noticeably scummy than they used to be. With Classic games though there were challenging but in the bad way at times such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, It built up more of this console war mentality we still have today, also there was less of a quality filter than there is today even among the likes of things like Steam Greenlight.

While I do have games like Yoshi's Island in my favorite games list, it also includes games like Beyond Good And Evil. I've been drawn more to indie games because other than the fact that those games tend to come across my desk more often than not at my job, many also try to emmulate the good of the old and the new. Oftentimes they tell stories that many main stream developers are too afraid to tell or don't know how to tell anymore. They might not always succeed but they do try.

Edited by Seraph
  • Brohoof 2

I've generally always liked classic games more than modern games, although that's not to say there aren't any modern games that I like. There's plenty!

There's just something charming about the simplicity of those old games that really resonates with me. That, and I really love an absurdly difficult challenge. :D

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Though I still think the SNES and Genesis are some of the most timeless platforms ever

I think the best age of gaming is somewhere between the two, during the early and mid 2000's. So, I'm basically referring to the time games were on Windows XP, PS2, and the original Xbox as the golden age of gaming. After that, starting with the PS3 and Xbox 360, I think developers started to rely too much on online patches, DLC, and multiplayer to unsuccessfully fix what was lacking in the game itself. Really old games, like those that would be considered "classic" today, have a tendency to bore me. I grew up on the original Playstation Console, but I've had no desire to play any of those games again whatsoever.

starting with the PS3 and Xbox 360, I think developers started to rely too much on online patches, DLC, and multiplayer to unsuccessfully fix what was lacking in the game itself.

In that sense the status quo is maintained at least. NES games had a tendency to be suuuuuuuuuper buggy and half the time didn't work correctly and they could do nothing about it.

Now they don't complete games entirely because "oh we can patch it later" and we still have all the same shitty, unfinished games we did twenty years ago! :lol:

It just stings a bit more because now they have the capacity to fix it but some never do. :okiedokielokie:

I find classic games to be a lot more enjoyable then modern games. Don't get me wrong that a lot of modern games are really fun to play but it's just that with classic games they couldn't rely on the graphics to get the game popular and the games had to be good gameplay/story wise.