Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bandwagon time: Who is best mane six pony?

Silver Stream.

Why the hell is Lily Peet making recent videos that I am beginning to enjoy more? First the one with COTLM being terrible, then the Starlight Glimmer analysis, and Celestia video now THIS: WHO IS BEST PONY? 

After watching the video I had mixed feelings because I agreed with mostly everything that was said except for the parts on Pinkie Pie. Before watching the video these were my ranks for them:

1. Rarity

2. Pinkie Pie

3. Fluttershy

4. Twilight

5. Applejack

6. Rainbowdash. 

After the video, not much of my opinion really changed:

1. Rarity

2. Pinkie Pie

3. Twilight

4. Fluttershy

5. Applejack

6. Rainbowdash

Here is the video: 

It is long, but you'll love every minute of it like her other video "Who is Best Villain" . 

After watching this, does it change how you see the characters? DO you agree with her reasons for choosing who is best pony? 

I really don't need a video for me to know that Dress Horse=Best Horse

But my current ranking is 

1. Rarity

2. Applejack

3. Pinkie Pie

4. Rainbow Dash (3 and 4 are pretty interchangable I guess)

5. Twilight

6. Fluttershy

If anything changes once I watch this I'll say it but I strongly doubt it.

• Brohoof 1

Hah, this type of thread again XD

Sadly, the mods will probably lock it  as a dupe :( (which always saddens me since the state of the fandom's views on best pony is always changing and these threads are fun to see the current state)

1. Rainbow dash. Dash will ALWAYS be number 1 in my book! :D
GO DASH GO!

2. Rarity.

3. Applejack

4. Fluttershy

5. Pinkie pie

6. Twilight sparkle. (She would be lower if it was possible XD)

My rankings have always been

1) Rainbow Dash

2) Rarity/Twilight

3) AJ

4) Pinkie

5) Fluttershy

And I don't need some random shmuck on the internet to validate, influence, or dictate which characters I should like/dislike and/or how I should like them

• Brohoof 2

My rankings have always been

1) Rainbow Dash

2) Rarity/Twilight

3) AJ

4) Pinkie

5) Fluttershy

And I don't need some random shmuck on the internet to validate, influence, or dictate which characters I should like/dislike and/or how I should like them

Guys try not to be so negative on the subeject. This discussion is not about how you YOU NEED a video to change or dictate your mind on a certain opinion. I'm merely asking IF this influence it any and if it did.....why. Regardless, media of ALL kinds will ALWAYS have some sort of influence on you no matter what. This is not some topic if you worship media to the point where it makes decisions for you. Simply......did your opinions change the slightest after watching this. And that's it. Not if you need it to make up your mind. Besides the video was not about who you should like or dislike....it was merely expressing theire perspective on the character and who is best pony to them 

Edited by Silver Stream.

My once and future best pony is Princess Twilight Sparkle. I haven't watched the video yet, but I doubt it will change my mind about Miss Purple Smart.

The rest of the rank and file...

02. Rainbow Dash (Awesome is as awesome does.)

03. Applejack (Down to earth and very wise)

04. Rarity (She moved up from 6 to 4, once I found out she's a detective!)

05. Fluttershy (Kind hearted, but can explode if pushed too far)

06. Pinkie Pie (Sigh. She tends to drift into just comic relief.)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I'll comment as I go along.

------

Disagree with a great deal of what they say about Applejack. She has very pronounced character flaws in her stubbornness, her need to not let anybody down, her abrasiveness when arguing with others, her overprotectiveness of her little sister, her tendency to go "too far" while doing otherwise understandable things, and probably more that I haven't even mentioned. I also disagree with writing these things off as being "moments when she's furthest from herself" or, however they said it in the video. It seems like their interpretation of AJ and their need to constantly fit her into the role of the straight man has prevented them from appreciating the unique quirks and character flaws that she brings to the table. Also Leap of Faith is bleh and greatly inferior to Apple Family Reunion.

------

Fluttershy I agree with somewhat, though Scare Master also felt pretty rehash-y, and they didn't mention that when praising her performance in S5.

------

"Pinkie is the only character whose presence can have a worsening effect on an episode"

Eh. There are some stories she wouldn't fit into well, but that can surely be said of every other character in the series. Also, while their commenters may not have mentioned her role outside of comic relief, those roles do exist and deserve analysis in their own right. It seems that like with Applejack, the other character they complain is lacking fleshed out stories, they decided that Pinkie was "the funny character" and chose to stop analyzing her after that point.

------

And wow that comment about Rarity was borrowed from somewhere and I've read it like 400 times. Don't disagree with it in the least, but still. And I really hope their criticism of people who bash on attention seekers and drama queens is still relevant when Dash's segment rolls around ^_^

------

Nice, they didn't bash on Dash for needing attention and being dramatic while praising Rares for doing the same.

"RD has the least tertiary characteristics"

Kinda unimpressed with this criticism You could bring up her enjoyment of books and musicals, her struggles with learning, her tendency to put her heroes up on a pedestal and to doubt herself in comparison, her own lingering issues as a result of being bullied at flight camp, her fear of failure etc, but it's hard to define a "tertiary" characteristic or to find characteristics that work completely independently from everything else about a character. Are Twilight's anxiety and Pinkie's tendency to fall apart when she feels unneeded or unwanted somehow unconnected to their "primary" characteristics? Not at all, and it's the same with Rainbow. But yeah, I liked the first half of their analysis :).

------

I wouldn't call Twilight bland in Season 1. If anything, I thought she was worse in Seasons 3 and 4, generally speaking, because during that period she had very few mundane episodes that gave her the chance to deal with personal and relatable problems. As for "that's the fault of the writer, not the fault of the character" , I think it's really questionable to ever place the blame inherently on the character. Bad writing is bad writing, and it seems odd to act as though some characters are to blame for being poorly written, but that others like Twilight cannot be :huh:.

---------

Final (and original ranking) is

1: Rainbow Dash

2: Applejack

3: Pinkie Pie

4: Twilight

5: Rarity

6: Fluttershy

Rarity, Twilight and Flutters flip flop in my rankings all the time, though. They're all great :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 2

Before watching:

1. Twilight

2. Pinkie Pie

3. Rainbow Dash

4. Rarity

5. Applejack

6. Fluttershy

After watching:

1. Twilight

2. Pinkie Pie 

3. Rainbow Dash

4. Applejack

5. Rarity

6. Fluttershy

Yeah, not much changed. Twilight's still my favorite and Fluttershy is still my least favorite.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed this video :)

AJ is my most consistent número uno, but the others are far more interchangeable and so there is little consistency with my rankings. This is not because I view the show as 'AJ and the rest', but simply that asides from my primary best pony, the others are all secondary best ponies :)

The reviewer articulated her points well, but honestly rather than liking the ponies from an "objective" standpoint, if we can even call it that, I prefer to enjoy my favorites just because. They don't really need to be complex or deconstructing tropes twenty-four seven in order for me to enjoy them. As it stands, my favorite main six pony is still Applejack—the rest I don't really rank, since I often switch them around based on recent episodes. 

I do agree with her opinions on Starlight Glimmer, though  :please:

• Brohoof 2

Twilight

Rarity

Pinkie Pie

Rainbow Dash

Applejack

Fluttershy

This is probably my favorite Lily Peet video so far. I didn't feel that there a bias for any of the characters, and that it was still left for you to decide your interpretation (unlike some of her other videos), though not much of my opinion has changed. I tend to judge my liking of the characters on how much I enjoyed them, rather than a strict analysis. Twilight shines as a character for me, I almost always enjoy her screen time and episodes. For Fluttershy, I'm not really interested in her. She doesn't stand out as much as the other characters (and that's not because of her introverted nature), so I don't really care for her.

• Brohoof 1

I saw the video already and I really didn't care what he had to say in the end. I like the ponies for my own reasons, I don't need someone telling me why I should like one more than the other, especially someone like Jerry Peet. On a side note I'm going to still call him Jerry not Lily, ya ain't the Caitlin Jenner of the brony community, buddy.

But I Still will still give my ranking. 

1) Rarity 

2) Fluttershy

3) Twilight

4) Rainbow Dash

5) Applejack

6) Pinkie Pie 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Before watching:

1. Twilight Sparkle

2. Rarity

3. Fluttershy

4. Pinkie Pie

5. Applejack

6. Rainbow Dash

I only know the character from the game My Little Pony Game: Magic Princess, but when I watched the series I finally change my mind after I find my favorite character.

After watching:

1. Applejack

2. Rainbow Dash

3. Pinkie Pie

4. Rarity

5. Fluttershy

6. Twilight Sparkle

I think I fell in love with AJ and RD whenever I watch My Little Pony, and I'm so happy when I watch how funny Pinkie Pie is! Three of them are the best character that I love in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. But if in Equestria Girls, I can't put the ranking between AJ and RD, because I love both of them. 😊😊😊 Tie

Whatever, AJ is everything, she is the best! RD is amazing, I'm happy that she and AJ are actually bestfriend not just ally like the relationship with the other mane 6 members. Go AppleDash

I really like pinkie pie, I get really sad when people call her annoying. T-T 

I love all of the mane six but if I had to rank em:

1. pinkie pie

2. applejack

3. twilight sparkle

4. rarity

5. fluttershy

6. rainbow dash

rarity and twi are tied btw

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...