Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How's your driving?

Spanish In Physician

So, I figured I'd ask about. See, I am curious how other people drive. I'll even go so far as to say, I am gonna be 100% honest about my driving. I am comfortable behind the wheel of a car. Too comfortable some people may assume. I obey all the aspects of the road but one.... I am a speed junkie. I love love LOVE going fast. I own my own car, and I tend to drive every night to work, and every morning home, doing anywhere between 70 on the regular roads, to 100 on the interstate. I love the pressure of the air, the sound of the winds, the pure feel of adrenaline knowing one slip up, and it would be my last. But enough about me. I am just curious how other people drive, as I said. XD

I actually didn't get my driver's license until I turned 18 years old.

I was so afraid of driving that I held it off for 2 whole years!

Today, I drive like it's second nature. 

I would say that I am a pretty safe and cautious driver.

I am constantly scanning and analyzing the road to make sure I don't get into an accident.

However, I am guilty of speeding. I actually always go at least 10-15 over the limit because I feel like a lot of the speed limits around where I live are just too slow. 

• Brohoof 1

Inexistant.

I answered your question right?

Though I feel that I'm gonna be a terrible driver, since I get stressed out over nothing knowing that cars could hit mine I'll probably always end up being that slow grandma on the highways

I answered your question right?

Yes, that is a valid answer. i asked how you drive, and not driving is valid. XD And I dunno. Everybody goes through that nervous phase. Believe me. about a month behind the wheel and you'll relax a little.

I actually didn't get my driver's license until I turned 18 years old.

I was so afraid of driving that I held it off for 2 whole years!

Today, I drive like it's second nature. 

I would say that I am a pretty safe and cautious driver.

I am constantly scanning and analyzing the road to make sure I don't get into an accident.

However, I am guilty of speeding. I actually always go at least 10-15 over the limit because I feel like a lot of the speed limits around where I live are just too slow. 

XD Nice. I actually got mine on my 16th birthday. I had been through Driver's ed and looked forward to getting my license for such a long time. I was so happy when I got it. I tend to drive like a normal person when there are passengers in my vehicle. (Safety of them and whatnot.) And I can still feel a tad nervous when my dad rides shotgun. I dunno why but having hi  in  the car while I am driving always made me so nervous.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a pretty good driver. Although I only have one problem...music. I LOVE listening to music in the car, and music does put a damper on your focus. I've only been in 2 accidents, one which happened last October. Other than that...I drive pretty well...but sometimes...a little too fast...

Overall, I think I drive pretty well...and often! Living out in western Pennsylvania, I drive 6 hours to Jersey pretty often and go to visit a friend in Michigan every so often as well (another 6 hour drive). I drive a lot and have only been in one accident. I slid on black ice and hit a curb a few years back...other than that, I've never hit anything else :) And I do have one speeding ticket on my record, but I don't think that makes me a bad driver :P

I love open roads, but I'm by no means a speed demon. I obey all the rules, but I feel somewhat uncomfortable driving to places when I don't know the way to. Mostly because that involves using a GPS app and those tend to screw me over and get me to the wrong place.

Driving is something that should be easy. The actual driving on the highway or the city is not particularly hard once used to it. I am good at this but this is basic

What's hard is what to do when it turns dangerous and when there's lots of complicated movements. Also how to plan. How to handle the car to swerve out of the way or hard to react. I am horrendous at these parts.

As for finding my way, thats easy. I simply figure out what direction I am supposed to go. Then I head that way. It sounds ridiculous but its worked numerous times throughout driving when I go to the city. XDD I just learn the street name and the direction I need to go. I have a pretty good memory for keeping my direction proper.

I just got my license a couple of weeks ago. I think I'm a fairly decent driver, but I don't particularly like driving. Especially on ice. I nearly wet myself taking my driver's test because the roads were so icy. XD

I'm good at it, i have a good sense at the size of vehicles and what their limits are, i also have a decent understanding of how they work from my father (a mechanic and engineer) though my depth perception throws me off and i take too wide of turns on occasion. 

I've been driving for over five years, especially in the last year and a half, so I've had a fair bit of experience, but I think my driving instructor described my driving best: "Slightly above average driver, but very safe." I still adhere to the speed limit almost all of the time, even on motorways, and in general I follow the rules of the road quite well. I usually put an audiobook or podcast on for longer journeys which helps keep my brain active and I think makes me a safer driver - certainly getting bored is very bad if you want to stay alert.

And I can still feel a tad nervous when my dad rides shotgun. I dunno why but having hi  in  the car while I am driving always made me so nervous.

Funny, I find it more difficult when my dad's in the car too. It doesn't help that he is a dreadful back-seat driver, constantly fiddling with the air-con / de-mist and even giving hand signals to other cars (which I REALLY hate.) It goes both ways though - his driving scares me quite badly, now that I know that you should be more than 2' from the car in front, and I avoid being driven around by him whenever possible.

The last time I drove was about a couple of months short of 11 years. It was for Driver's Ed. I was told I pretty much failed the driving portion, IIRC. I got scared and didn't try driving again in my remaining high school years. By the time I got out of high school, I would never get the opportunity.

I don't think I would have made a good driver, anyway. I'm too scared, and impatient. Lol. Thus I would make everyone mad. xD It was not meant to be, simple.

I've been driving since I was 16 and I'm 24 now. From what I've been told, I'm an excellent driver if a bit on the overly safe side. I have a set of rules in my car and I make sure everyone follows them as best as they possibly can. Most of which having to do with common sense rules like "Don't stick your hands in front of my face, don't try to show me things on your phone and don't mess with the air conditioning or radio without asking first." The last two are mostly because I expect people to respect my car as much as I do. I drive my friends around a fair amount, given gas money for it and there are times I don't ask for any if we are all going to the same place.

Edited by Seraph

I always obey the speed limits, there are always highway patrol out and all the towns are speed traps with ticket quotas to fill. and honestly obeying the speed limit has kept me out of multiple wrecks because i was able to stop in time

you better enjoy your car while you can, doing 70-100 MPH you are eventually going to wipe out and total your car/ wind up dead or in the hospital or kill someone or put them in the hospital, OR the cops are going to catch you and you are going to get a ticket or wind up in front of a judge , in some states it could even cost you your licence depending on how much you are going over the speed limit, not to mention if you get a ticket then your insurance rates are going to go sky high because tickets are reported to your insurance agency

you'll learn the first time you are doing 100 miles and hour and you hit a slick spot in the road or you nail another car that does something you can't avoid fast enough, heck even blowing a tire at that speed could cause a serious wreck

so slow down before you get yourself killed or even worse kill or injure someone else and get sued for everything you own, you might have car insurance but that only covers a certain amount, if you do damages greater than what your insurace covers then they come after you and what you own

Edited by simba86

• 2 weeks later...

I probably scare the crap out of other drivers.

I live in the English countryside, which is a maze of narrow, twisting roads that are mostly just tarmacked tracks from years ago.

Those of us that use them on a daily basis learn one thing quite quickly:

How wide your vehicle is.

I also try to drive efficiently, which means carrying as much speed through the corners to avoid braking/accelerating/gear changes (in the UK, we learn on manuals, those that use autos are generally those who can't use a manual anymore or weren't good enough to pass on one) as possible.

This means I will pass you very close and might not even brake before-hand. Alas others are not so confident about their car's dimensions, and I have had to stick my tyres in the mud on numerous occasions when someone comes along 2-3 feet from their edge.

I'm a fairly decent driver, but I hate driving in other countries or busy cities. Not knowing where to go or having to make weird turns in old cities just pisses me off. When I'm in the car, I simply assume everyone else is a moron.

I'd say I'm a good driver. I do like to have a little fun when it's safe to do so, but I don't do stuff like weave through traffic/tailgate or race. I also usually don't do more than 5 over, unless it's on an empty freeway occasionally. I got my license at 16 at the end of 2004. I've only gotten 2 tickets and only got into a very small accident with someone once on ice.

My first ticket was after driving for two years. I went through a yellow light. My car at the time had some front end issues and I didn't want to stop hard. The cop said I was cutting it too close. I went to court and got the license points and ticket dropped but had to take a class. I had to pay like $120, but my insurance didn't go up.

The second ticket I got was in summer 2014. I was at a left turn light and looked around to make sure I didn't see any cops. I was driving my Camaro and spun my tires through the left turn. Well almost a mile up the road I see a cop behind me. No lights though and he's not going fast. The problem is that the light up ahead is turning yellow and I'm close to it. So he's behind me. The light turns green and were going. about 10 seconds later he turns on his lights. >_> From what he said I think he heard me but didn't actually see me. If he did he probably would have pulled me right over. I think my car and plate combo did me in. ^_^ 

post-24370-0-16615700-1415471132.jpg

I got a ticket for Sudden Acceleration/ Unnecessary Noise/ Unsafe Start. No points, so my insurance wasn't affected. I just had to pay like $100.

Now my accident happened last winter. It was like 5F outside and the streets were complete ice in my subdivision. I was turning right around a corner and someone was turning left around the same corner and we both couldn't stop. My drivers front corner brushed the driver's side of her car at like 5 mph. Of course since it was so cold my bumper and headlight got cracked. The side of her car had a small , but long scrape. Since I was driving my older car I just fixed it up myself for like $100 and my insurance fixed her damage. No tickets/police since it was so minor. My insurance didn't go up either. :squee:

• Brohoof 1