Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [Planning/on hold] DM for hire. Currently no occupation.

Hederik

Number of players: 1 or more

OC link: n/a

Historical links:

Too much entropy (abandoned and forgotten)

The short version (only read beyond this part if you get interested)

I want to launch an RP, but I won't start one without planning it well. I tried once -- but I'm not entirely sure what the standards around here are for how soon you should consider your idea dead and uninteresting. If I flesh out one or two more and not get a word of response, I think I'm going to lose spirit entirely.

So (consider this a Christmas gift if you will) I'm going to do you one better: tell me what it is that you want an RP about and I'll take you for a ride to the best of my abilities. If you manage to capture my interest, that is.

And meet these two criteria.

The criteria: grammar/writing style

I was tempted to pursue the Advanced tag from the moment I saw it. But I both fear it as a repellent and don't agree with its definition in entirety. 800 characters translate to ~160 words, which in some circumstances can amount to a need for needlessly inflating a simple description of a series of moves or a short question the described character needs answered before being able to proceed with a well-built narrative.

What I'm getting at is: I expect not a certain number of characters, but a certain amount of style. Proper grammar - not to the point of being a nazi about it, but, you know. Not switching tenses randomly, keeping to a third person description of the actions, proper use of punctuation when introducing speech/thoughts, no *does stuff* or "X looked at Y Wow you look pretty he said looking Intently at her. she's pretty he thought" kind of thing...

The criteria: topic

Did I drag you all the way down here? Awesome. Now you'll want to tell me what you want from me, but to cut down on disappointment, let me point out a few things I am and am not willing to do.

I decline to:

• Focus around romance. If you want that in the RP, so be it, I may even be persuaded to have NPCs join in it to a degree, but if the central idea is to be a romantic pursuit, I'm not the guy you're looking for.
  • Limit the RP to SOL. Slice of life is a fine genre of both fanfiction and RP, but it is not my cup of coffee. There needs to be something actually happening beyond talk and pleasantries. Not that I totally exclude them, that would be silly.
  • Disconnect entirely from FiM. I don't know about you, but I'm here to indulge my love for ponies. The ones I know from this great show that brought us all together. So... if it ain't pony, forget it. But more than that, "OC meets OC to do something with an OC in a distant part of Equestria"... yeah, just no. I'm not saying you cannot try, but I doubt I would be into it.
  • Follow a detailed scenario. Pitch me an idea, let me work with it, try out the effect. I give no guarantees it will be exactly what you envisioned, but I refuse to have a script handed to me that I need to follow to a tee.

I encourage:

• Playing as cast characters. Being in the world where said characters live does not compare to actually controlling them. This is not to say I forbid OCs. But there are going to be cast characters in the RP, one way or another.
  • Adventure. Ranging from show-like soft exploration/minor encounter style to major skirmish with proper level of threat and violence, this is what RP really exists for (if you ask me, that is). Not... having tea parties. No offence to any enjoying such.
  • Originality. If you think it hasn't been done before, I'm not afraid to consider giving it a shot.

To give a few examples...

• Relive the finale of Season 5 in greater detail. The idea was immense, but limiting it to 40 minutes seriously undercut the potential there.
  • Launch into a Daring Do episode as Do herself or some episodic sidekick of hers. Maybe try it the other way round, and act out the role of Daring's current enemy?
  • Venture on a new adventure as dictated by Twilight's map.
  • Explore Equestria's past while trying to ensure its future. Which isn't looking bright. Details here. (This is an alternative to that RP idea; whichever one launches will put the other one on hold).
  • I don't know, have Twilight being called to Celestia's Magic School YiddiYadda because there is some mystery to investigate? Have a dream visited by Luna? An elaborate prank by Discord? I'm really open to suggestions.

In closing

Don't be afraid to ask or propose anything. Question my sanity or try to get me to go against one of the things I said above. Tell me I can never succeed with this if you think so. But give me something to work with... if an offer this general fails to grab any interest, I'm not sure what I'm doing here.

This offer expires once I launch any RP, either the one linked up above or this one. I reserve the right to take a few days to plan out the plot before launch.

DM's Journal

26.12.2015: the first RP launched. Thus, the offer is on hold for a moment, as I don't want to take on more than I can handle. Once this RP closes, however, I will likely be reinstating the search. Until then, I invite anyone to discuss such future possibilities, even though time will not be the sole factor when the decision will have to be made about which idea will come to fruition.

Also, there definitely is a possibility of having someone join the current RP. If you're interested, I heartily invite you to post here with details of whom and how you'd like to portray.

15.03.2016: with the RP dead for a few months, I finally decided to update the thread, though with how deep it's buried, I don't even expect any contact resulting from such activity. Ah well, maybe the Dark Millenium will have more luck than that.

Edited by Hederik

Discord being the player's character? That would make everyone else the DM's duty. And Discord does have nigh-unlimited powers, which kind of makes him a DM in his own rights... Interesting. Like a twist on the very meta of what an RP is.

Answer me these questions, then: who would be a target of such? Would Discord seek accomplices? I take it that we're talking post-season 5 setting, so as not to void any canon information?

All in all sounds like a quick, short RP to get this project started. And from the single RP post I've found in your profile's recent posts, your writing style is fine too, so... I'm getting excited :D

You desire a challenge, then? Very well. Dive right in and find out whom I shall throw at your mercy. The RP be here.

No wait time was necessary, as there's really nothing I can plan ahead in this situation. Also, just a heads up: I'll be abroad tomorrow, likely unable to answer in the nearest 36 hours. So choose a location for your first appearance carefully, as it may well influence the eventual choice of a victim.

@@DwhitetheGamer

You are nor going to automatically succeed every time, that's a given. If it's too much for a second post, however, I can come up with something more acceptable.

If the delay has nothing to do with the contents of my response to your post, disregard this message entirely. I do not mean to drive you to replying hastily, I'm merely trying not to lose my first player ;)