Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

CoffeeBeard

Now, I don't know if this kind of post has been made before, but I think it would be fun to see how many different easter eggs from other shows/movies and similar media that has been used in the FiM show

What I've seen, it's been references to 

Doctor Who
Star Wars
The Big Lebowski
Harry Potter - When Discord sings about wanting a glass of water
Metal Gear Solid - Discord is looking for a ticket to be able to go to the Grand Galloping Gala.
Benny Hill
Terminator

Have you guys found any other references?

I'm about 80% sure that the entirety of "Bloom and Gloom" is a reference to Persona 4. Apple Bloom faces her "shadow", which has glowing eyes and talks with a weird effect in its voice, who shows her the parts of her psyche that she tries to ignore. The key to defeating it turns out to be accepting that these things are a part of you. And then she can summon a demon by kicking tarot cards. I do have some doubts that the writers of a little girl's show would draw inspiration from a niche, M-rated JRPG, but the similarities are too strong to completely ignore.

• Brohoof 1

During Discord's stand-up routine:

Gallagher with Sledge-o-matic©

Eddie Murphy in his "Delirious" stand-up from the mid 80's (R-rated so dont google it if underage or at work. Some of his dirtiest stuff ever, so it was super odd to see the ref in MLP)

• Brohoof 1

There are SO many references in FIM it's hard to know were to start.

The one that stands out most recently to me was that Applejack's work wear and bandanna in the season 5 finale were clearly a reference to Rosie the Riveter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

Applejack was also referencing the Wizard of Oz in the two Nightmare Night episodes, dressed as the Scarecrow and the Lion. 

Edited by Gearbox10mm
  • Brohoof 1

Queen Chrysalis and the Changlings puts you in the mind of Dr. Eggman and the Eggman Empire, don't you think?

I am really sorry, but I don't play Sonic nor have I watched the show enough to know anything about the Eggman Empire, but it does sound awesome! ^^

Well there has been a reference to Gravity Falls, but that was in the comics.

I think that'll count as well ;)

I'm about 80% sure that the entirety of "Bloom and Gloom" is a reference to Persona 4. Apple Bloom faces her "shadow", which has glowing eyes and talks with a weird effect in its voice, who shows her the parts of her psyche that she tries to ignore. The key to defeating it turns out to be accepting that these things are a part of you. And then she can summon a demon by kicking tarot cards. I do have some doubts that the writers of a little girl's show would draw inspiration from a niche, M-rated JRPG, but the similarities are too strong to completely ignore.

It's not completely impossible, is it? Since the writers now know of the Bronies, it's quite possible that they find inspiration in areas that an elder audience might like.

During Discord's stand-up routine:

Gallagher with Sledge-o-matic©

Eddie Murphy in his "Delirious" stand-up from the mid 80's (R-rated so dont google it if underage or at work. Some of his dirtiest stuff ever, so it was super odd to see the ref in MLP)

Gotta check it out! Thanks!

There are SO many references in FIM it's hard to know were to start.

The one that stands out most recently to me was that Applejack's work wear and bandanna in the season 5 finale were clearly a reference to Rosie the Riveter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter

Applejack was also referencing the Wizard of Oz in the two Nightmare Night episodes, dressed as the Scarecrow and the Lion. 

Haha didn't think about AJ's costumes! Thanks for the addition on the list ;)

• Brohoof 1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Gilda's statement "Bored now."

Tim Burton style conveyer belt scene with Danny Elfman style music in one of Twilight's alternative realities.

Speaking of Tim Burton, the part where everybody sings around Fluttershy in the "stop the bats" song, does remind of something Burton would use in his movies too.

• Brohoof 1

Queen Chrysalis and the Changlings puts you in the mind of Dr. Eggman and the Eggman Empire, don't you think?

What? I mean I don't see any similarities between Robotnik and Chrysalis and a reference is something that is supposed to be a direct parody of another piece of media. On a different note I've heard that the CMC were supposedly based on the powerpuff girls. Whilst I don't see it (which most definitely isn't a good sign) I guess that sort of makes those characters one giant reference to PPG, sort of...

• Brohoof 1

The Flim-Flam brothers first song "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", is an entire reference to "The Music Man", specifically, the part where the conman sings "We've Got Trouble" and riles up the entire town to sing along with him. 

Haha that's an awesome fact ^^ 

What? I mean I don't see any similarities between Robotnik and Chrysalis and a reference is something that is supposed to be a direct parody of another piece of media. On a different note I've heard that the CMC were supposedly based on the powerpuff girls. Whilst I don't see it (which most definitely isn't a good sign) I guess that sort of makes those characters one giant reference to PPG, sort of...

Now that you mention it, (and after a google search on the subject) there are some simillarities between the two groups of girls. 

A user called SonicRainboomGirl made a topic on the subject on a forum called canterlot.com, with this statement

"Bubbles and Sweetie Belle are both sweet, kind, and adorable with high-pitched voices and a sole desire to do good. They get shy displaying their talents, but are still extroverted.

Applebloom and Blossom look almost exactly the same, are both very intelligent, and have that bow in their hair.

Scootaloo and Buttercup are the bold, adrenaline junkies with a serious kick-flank capacity. They also seem to get down/grumpy a lot more than the other two."

Haha that's an awesome fact ^^ 

Now that you mention it, (and after a google search on the subject) there are some simillarities between the two groups of girls. 

A user called SonicRainboomGirl made a topic on the subject on a forum called canterlot.com, with this statement

"Bubbles and Sweetie Belle are both sweet, kind, and adorable with high-pitched voices and a sole desire to do good. They get shy displaying their talents, but are still extroverted.

Applebloom and Blossom look almost exactly the same, are both very intelligent, and have that bow in their hair.

Scootaloo and Buttercup are the bold, adrenaline junkies with a serious kick-flank capacity. They also seem to get down/grumpy a lot more than the other two."

Last time I checked all of the CMC were very nice kids. And don't the CMC do what they do for the purpose of getting their cutie marks? And I don't recall Bubbles having any issues doing super hero stuff. And when has Applebloom been shown to be particularly smart (at least smarter then the other characters). Last time I checked wasn't she the one who was coming up with half of the stupid ideas? And Scootaloo is the only one where I can recognize some genuine similarities. Although I think she lacks the aggression that Buttercup had. 

pinkie mc fly anyone (back to the future)? 

christal empire makes more think about Atlantis the lost empire in how it was once lost.

crusaders of the lost mark do I even need to tell anyone where that title came from? (indiana Jones for those who dont know)

• Brohoof 1