Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the equestria girls?

joshuachasseur

The human version of that dj pony can drive

also btw no one has said if that image I posted is fanart or official

A lot of the art WeLoveFine uses for their T-shirts is fanart. The official art of MLP/Equestria Girls tends to be either in the show's style or the merchandise's style, and the art on the shirt looks like some other artist's style. So, the information on the shirt isn't something to base theories off of (though, it's good to start a discussion like this).

Judging by the pictures in Celestia's office I'd say the Human Mane 6 are in Senior year making them 17-18 Years old.

Though Sunset is an odd case as she has three separate ages!

Her Physical Age - 17-18 as both a Human and a Pony

Her Official Age in Equestria - 31-32 Years Minimum, 36-37 Years Maximum

And Her Actual Age - 21-22 (17-18 years lived as a pony, 4 years as a human)

Now this Bring's up a more interesting question, How old are the CMC in this world? and how does this relate to their ages in Equestria

Twilight appears to 17 as many other's have stated :P

But how old are the CmC?

Judging by the pictures in Celestia's office I'd say the Human Mane 6 are in Senior year making them 17-18 Years old.

Though Sunset is an odd case as she has three separate ages!

Her Physical Age - 17-18 as both a Human and a Pony

Her Official Age in Equestria - 31-32 Years Minimum, 36-37 Years Maximum

And Her Actual Age - 21-22 (17-18 years lived as a pony, 4 years as a human)

I'm rather new to discussion of the show with actual bronies, so forgive me if this is obvious. Where did these three different ages come from? 

I agree with the consensus that they're 17-18, with Fluttershy being older than Rainbow Dash based on her "year older" comment in the show. However, I also agree that we could all be way off simply because this is not actually our world. Any number of things that we consider rules or standards could be very different there. The inclusion of the term "freshman" does seem to ground things in our reality, though.

Edited by RayneMercury
  • Brohoof 1

With the assumption that their education system is similar enough to that of some countries on Earth, I'm also going to say they're around 16 to 18 years of age.

Well... we know Sunset's in her Fourth Year. That makes her 17-18. This is due to us seeing 3 Princess of the Fall Formal pictures and then assuming that the Friendship Games happens after that. We also know that Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie Pie. This means that Pinkie is, at maximum, 17. Twilight is probably a similar age to Sunset, if not the same age, since we know she was set up to go "Somewhere Else" in Crystal Prep, which could imply her going into her next level of education, placing her also at 17-18. That leaves the three difficult ones- Rarity, AJ, and RD. Rarity, I think, is a Senior. This is because she's old enough and rich enough to have her own equipment to make enough clothes for a ball (See: Friendship Games) and, as stated above, she can't be a Freshman or a Sophmore. As for AJ and RD, I don't really know.

However, I doubt any of them were held back a grade, because if they hadn't, they would have probably participated in the previous Friendship Games. (Especially Rainbow)

So, for a TLDR:

Sunset: 17/18

Fluttershy: 18 (Thanks for pointing that out Meson Bolt!)

Pinkie Pie: 17

Twilight: 17/18

Rarity: 18 (Guesswork, really)

AJ/RD: N/A

one poster said that the 3rd pic was about the spring fling

I say the girls are between 16 and 18 years old.

Except for Sunset,  she is 23 because I think she is older than Princess Twilight who is 21 in my headcanon. 

I say the girls are between 16 and 18 years old.

Except for Sunset,  she is 23 because I think she is older than Princess Twilight who is 21 in my headcanon. 

Woah, 23? Seriously? How could Sunset be 23 and still in high school, plus not have knowledge of the Friendship Games, which occur every 4 years?

Woah, 23? Seriously? How could Sunset be 23 and still in high school, plus not have knowledge of the Friendship Games, which occur every 4 years?

How could the Dazzlings be in high school when they are more than 1000 years old? ö-ô

• Brohoof 1

How could the Dazzlings be in high school when they are more than 1000 years old? ö-ô

They aren't actually in high school. As we saw in the first EQG movie, if you look young enough, you could pretty much just walk in and say "Hi, I'm new here!" Besides that, I'm guessing that they don't physically age, and they could just lie about their ages.

• Brohoof 1

if you look young enough, you could pretty much just walk in and say "Hi, I'm new here!" 

You answered your own question with that.

Sunset looks younger than she is, that's it.

Edited by Fluidty

You answered your own question with that.

Sunset looks younger as she seems, that's it.

That's beside the point. I'm not judging her age based on appearance, I'm judging her age based on 1) the pictures from the first movie, 2) the implication that this is a "high school musical" type setting, and 3) her limited knowledge about the Friendship Games. All the information points to her being a young senior, probably 17.

That's beside the point. I'm not judging her age based on appearance, I'm judging her age based on 1) the pictures from the first movie, 2) the implication that this is a "high school musical" type setting, and 3) her limited knowledge about the Friendship Games. All the information points to her being a young senior, probably 17.

It would be nice if you could explain this more.

It would be nice if you could explain this more.

Alright!

First off, the place is called Canterlot High, so obviously (no duh here) it's a high school. I'm not 100% sure about this since I've never really been to a public school, but I think that students spend four years in high school, their freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years. From the first movie we see that Sunset has won at least 2 "Fall Formal" crowns (I think it's generally agreed upon that the third was from the "Spring Fling"), so she's been at the high school for at least 2 years. Since she's running for her third or fourth crown, she could be a junior or senior, so anywhere from 16-18.

Secondly, if you've ever seen High School Musical, you'd agree that the setting for EQG and HSM are pretty much alike, despite how most of us hate to compare the two. This implies that all of the girls, including Sunset Shimmer, are in their later High School years; at the very least juniors.

And finally, since Sunset Shimmer doesn't know about the Friendship Games (which take place every 4 years), this means that she hasn't been at Canterlot High for 4 years, placing her as a junior, or about 16-17 years old.

No offense intended, but I personally think that this answer is more accurate than one based off a headcanon.

I agree with you that the girls are in their junior year because it is absolute nonsense to me that Sci-Twi would change the school in the middle of her last high school year.

But we can not say for sure how often Sunset won the fall Formal because it is never actually mentioned for what she received the crowns. But since the pictures were shown while Princalpal Celestia was talking about the Fall Formal, I like to go with that theory as well.

You could say that for every high school movie that was ever made.

I think she simply did not care about the Friendship Games. 

She was probably distracted by other things, like her plan to take over Equestria and later clearing her name and figuring out how the magic works in the human world.

Plus the wirters wrote it that way so that the audience could get an explanation for what the games are and why they are important to the students.

My headcanon is based on an answer that Mccarthy gave to the question how old the Mane Six are.

They said in an interview that Lauren Faust always said to her that Twilight and her friends are supposed to be in their late teens/early twenties.

Of course that was at the time when Faust was still part of the show's crew. Since than years passed, not just in real life but also in the show itself, what got mentioned more than once in the season 5 finale.

So that Princess Twilight is now maybe 21 years old seems not so unlikely and the same applies for Sunset being about the same age since she was Princess Celestia's student before Twilight.

I still can not she why she could not be a few years older than the rest of the Rainbooms.

After all she is not a human, but a magical creature (like the Dazzlings) and age and maturity are two different things.

Edited by Fluidty

@

Well, I'm probably not gonna change your mind. Your opinion is your opinion, mine is mine. However, lemme just ask you one thing:

If Sunset Shimmer were 23, wouldn't she look more like the principals than the rest of the 16-18 year old girls?

If Sunset Shimmer were 23, wouldn't she look more like the principals than the rest of the 16-18 year old girls?

Again: she is a magical creature.

And we also do not know how the portal works. Maybe it changes the appearances of the ponies and persons so that they resemble their alternative versions as close as possible and since Human-Sunset is probably 17 or 18 years old Pony-Sunset looks like that ages as well.

At least that would explain why Spike got turned into a dog and not a little boy.

Edited by Fluidty