Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Do you have favorite character from Star Wars The Force Awakens?

BritishBrony2012

This movie didn't really impress me all that much. I think that all characters are okay. But I think that something great may come out of Kylo Ren, if he's written right in next movies.

I think that, the character, as much as the meta character, wants to be Darth Vader but just isn't good enough.

Let's see where this goes. If it's even intentional.

@independent er='PiratePony'],

Im sorry Im not getting your question. Can you please phrase it differently?

Hi. What I mean is is your opinion based on your love for the EU or independent of. Ignoring the EU, what's your opinion on the characters?

Han Solo, but I assume you mean new characters. They are all really good, but I like Finn and BB-8 the most.

Yeah, Harrison Ford was great. That Indiana Jones performance never felt like a return to that character, but this really felt like Han Solo had returned.

• Brohoof 1

Didn't really like any of the new characters really, but Harrison Ford definitely did a grand job of the returning Han Solo, even if he didn't want to have to do it in the first place.

Just felt like the new characters were averagely acted and a little um...meh?

• Brohoof 1

Finn and Rey have some potential, I don't have the immediate strong like for that as some other past Star Wars characters like Luke, Chewbacca and Han but we will see where they take these characters. Right off the bat Rey reminds me of Jaina Solo who along with Jacen Solo were the twin son and daughter of Han and Leia with Jaina staying on the light side and Jacen falling to the dark side and becoming Darth Caedus and being killed in a lightsaber duel by his sister.Finn reminds me of a few characters in the expanded universe who took a similar path as him, in other words by being stormtroopers and then switching sides and later discovering force sensitivity, there was one of them whose name I don't remember who even became an inquisitor which for those who have seen the Star Wars Rebels cartoon are a secret order of dark side force users who specialize in hunting down Jedi who survived Order 66.

Despite these similarities there are differences of course as should be expected though I am curious as to what if any other expanded universe characters will appear, I would love to see Grand Admiral Thrawn for example and though the "secret apprentice" things has been done quite a bit it might still be interesting to see Lumiya who was one of the main influences in the expanded universe that drew Jacen Solo to the dark side.

Nope :P

IMHO, they are all okay. Im sorry I love the Star Wars EU and I think Jacen Solo is better than Ben Solo

What I am wondering is why call him Ben when in the expanded universe novels Luke had a son named Ben already? It is a minor gripe, but still. Another thing I have noticed is that in the expanded universe Jacen had a twin sister and is it just me or does Rey kind of look like her? It could be a coincidence or they could be doing something similar to what they did with Luke and Leia where we didn't find out that they were brother and sister until much later. There were a ton of references to A New Hope in this movie, I expected some nods and references but there were a lot more than I expected which gives a sort of precedent that we will perhaps see more of that in the episodes VIII and IX.

Such a tough choice as many of the characters were done so well! I would say my favorites in order:

1. Kylo Ren
  2. BB-8
  3. Finn
  4. Han Solo
  5. Chewbacca

I think Kylo Ren has so much potential for depth. There were some lines that he said that made me realize that he is most likely suffering with his struggle. 

My favorite characters were Rey and Finn - they have an amazing character dynamic together and they remind me of the one Leia and Han had. Poe appeals to the aspiring spaceman within me, but his lack of screentime vs. the other two is a bit hard to swallow. Of course, Han, Leia and Luke were all amazing per the norm.

What I am wondering is why call him Ben when in the expanded universe novels Luke had a son named Ben already? It is a minor gripe, but still. Another thing I have noticed is that in the expanded universe Jacen had a twin sister and is it just me or does Rey kind of look like her? It could be a coincidence or they could be doing something similar to what they did with Luke and Leia where we didn't find out that they were brother and sister until much later. There were a ton of references to A New Hope in this movie, I expected some nods and references but there were a lot more than I expected which gives a sort of precedent that we will perhaps see more of that in the episodes VIII and IX.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is an internal homage to the Legends EU - specifically taking his real name, Ben, from Ben Skywalker while incorporating elements from Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus. And yes, Jacen did have a twin sister, named Jaina Solo.

• Brohoof 1