Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Strict or loose parents?

kanwe yest

Script or loose parents?  

58 users have voted

1. 1. Were your parents strict with you as a child?

• Yes
    • No

My parents have always been a good mixture between strict and chill.

They were never control freaks, but they weren't afraid to enforce some rules every now and again.

Now that I am 21 years old, however, I can pretty much do anything I want without consulting them.

• Brohoof 1

They were pretty loose, I guess. I had basic chores such as cleaning up my room each week, and some basic rules like no swearing and using "please/thank you" at all times. My parents never spanked me or anything so yeah, they weren't strict.

• Brohoof 1

well, they used to be strict.
I usually got punishment, but that was for my own good. I can see that now.
Now... They're really loose about me. Heck, my mom even asked me if I want to smoke or not, I answered  no though XD.

If I messes something up, they just told me to fix it. Good thing I rarely got into trouble :V

• Brohoof 1

yes,they was VERY strict. they ruled with an iron fist and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my mom to give up control of even the tiniest aspect of my life, all the way down to what i watched on tv "not allowed to watch pokemon or even TELETUBBIES for example" and who i was allowed to be friends with. and when my mom doesn't get her way then she throws a temper tantrum fit for a kid. my father would scream and cuss and whip us with a belt and my mom would lecture us for sometimes 3 or 4 SOLID hours

• Brohoof 1

They are balanced. In the past; when the things weren't going its way or something that i had done wrong, they usually guided me to find my right way. When they haven't been there, there have been god and he always have illuminated my way with his light and stayed by my side...Now i have grown and make my decisions precisely and thanks to God, he still with me. Don't forget my little ponies; never cut your hopes from the God...'''

• Brohoof 2

I know this might be my second thing in the topic explaing about my parents (well, i wouldnt reall say explaining, it was just a brief thing i mentioned)

My mom is pretty loose, i really feel comfortable with that, my dad on the other hand tough has his moments, he used to be really strict when i was younger, and the thing that made it worse was becus i have autism. he dint know how to handle me properly (back then they dint knew i had autism). and so things happend. luckely my parents devorced when i was around the age of 3. but where my mom used to live, thats where my step father also lived. and well, my step father was the worst, at one night he went insane, he attacked my mom, and tried to send me, my mom and my sister outside the house to get out during the night. well, my sister quickly called the cops, later the cops arrived. things dint really settled down the next morning, me and my sister ignored him and so did he to us. but a few days later my sister was so scared that she din't want to come back. she dedcided to live at my father's house, that happend almost 2 years ago. now i live at my moms house somewhere close to where we lived before.

Sorry that i dint mentiond it in my first post, i just dint had any concentration back then.

• Brohoof 1

My parents were quite loose about pretty much everything when it came to me. This was mainly because I did not ever do anything brash anyways, I was quite simple and stayed within my comfort zones. I still do that. Other than my anger issues, my parents never had to be really harsh with me about stuff. 

• Brohoof 1

My mum was 17 when I was born (she met my dad on holiday with her parents and never saw him again) My grandparents were very old school and quite religious, and they kicked her out of the family home, also said that her siblings were not allowed contact with her. We were on/off homeless until I was 6. We had social housing most of the time, but there were periods of a few months at a time where we had to move about and didn't exactly have a roof over our heads

Due to the unstable conditions there were never really any established rules, and by the time we got into long term housing - I lived in one place from 6-9, then a house from 9-25 - We had kind of gotten used to just doing what we needed to. She had to work whatever hours she could get, so I used to get myself ready for school and make my own meals etc from the age of 6, as sometimes she would have to leave before I got up in the morning, and other days didn't get back until a few hours after I came home. Also I had a lot of energy and didn't sleep much, so she used to go to sleep around 11PM and I would stay up until 1-2AM.

Funny thing is I was actually better behaved at that time of my life than later, mid to late teens was by far the worst period in terms of what kind of stuff I got in to. I think if I hadn't been through the things I had in the early years, I probably wouldn't have handled and gotten out of the lifestyle I was in later. So for me and almost total lack of parenting actually worked out, eventually

They weren't necessarily strict, but I do think they were quite overprotective of me. They would only let me do what I wanted as long as I was within their field of view, y'know? They used to constantly check on what I was doing on the internet, what friends I was talking to, if I went to a concert they would go with me, and stuff like that. Since I never really had anything to hide from them, I didn't mind it at all~

The only things they were strict about were the obvious, such as good manners, politeness, "thank you"s, "sorry"s, "excuse me"s and so on. But they never went as far as to hit me for not behaving... In fact, from the stories they tell me, apparently I used to be an incredibly calm child. :P

My parents are fairly strict, and I think that's a good thing! It's important for kids to learn the harsh realities of life instead of being coddled growing up and then going out into the real world where your actions have repercussions.

• Brohoof 1

My dad could get quite pissed from time to time as a kid, but on the whole my parents weren't that strict. I wasn't a troublemaker anyway, since my favorite pastime was playing in my room.

They were VERY strict with me as a child. Now that I've started showing responsibility lately, they have loosened up. Really, the only reason they don't hound me like they used to is because I cook and clean every day without being told.

Me getting a job and driver's license has helped. Also, I occasionally pay for groceries when we need them, so that bought me brownie points.

My parents are the liberal thinking types, only laying the law down when it was necessary, such as when my behaviour towards others and at school caused issues of course.

I will always remember this line that highlighted their stance on anything I ever did: "Whatever you do, as long it's not to support a drug habit or criminal activity, we will support you". They've never had a problem with anything I like or chose to do. Sure, they question my decisions sometimes, but allowed me to state my case and be on my way with it. After hearing stories of rifts my friends have had with their families and parents, it makes me feel incredibly lucky and fortunate to have had such understanding and caring parents, that have allowed me to understand and make decisions for myself, having to confront the consequences without any sugarcoating.

• Brohoof 1

My parents were pretty lax; I only ever remember being punished twice, and those punishments were as minor as a lecture and an early bedtime.

Then again, I was a really good kid. Always policed myself, pretty much. I was more worried about my school grades than my parents were.