Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you cope with loneliness?

SilyGeny

I've turned being alone into something I like.

As a kid/young teen, I hated feeling lonely, but after being made to spend so much time alone, I saw the benefit of it. And now I prefer to be alone most of the time.

If I ever do feel lonely, I just journal, or get on the forums I like.

I also have a bunch of stuffed animal friends, and I can hang out with them whenever I want. :P

I moved over to where I am now to go to uni last September and it's the first time I've been living away from home. I have some friends I occasionally hang out with but I do often get the feeling that I'm all alone here. That is the main reason I joined this place, to have some place I can go to and not feel like I'm alone.

Music eases my loneliness, honestly. Escapism in its purest form: kicking back and letting your mind run free with some awesome tunes. 

That and exercising. Whether it's the gym or the hiking trails, both occupy my time alone, and they both leave me feeling happier afterwards! 

Don't forget, guys. Even on our darkest days, there's always someone that cares for us. We're never truly alone. 

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Watch a movie, play with my dogs, take them out for a walk, go to the gym with friends, play a video game, read a book, usually something I enjoy when I have time to waste.

You have to remember that it can't be your biggest and only focus. Time still keeps moving no matter what. We still all have lived to live ourselves, things like school, work, chores, appointments, hobbies, and so on and so forth still occupy the time we all have. You can always use spare time to learn how to play an instrument, study more for that big test, doing whatever it is you enjoy doing more. The possibilities are endless. But you have to decide what you do with it.

One other thing that you have to keep in mind is you have to be patient. You cannot have instant gratification in terms of solving being lonely. Just hope and pray, and be as patient as you can. Great things will happen when you least expect them.

I do online role playing, video games, reading fan fiction, listening to the radio, or music in general, etc. I really don't pay any mind to my excess solitude, it don't bother me unless I'm thinking about it, and when I do that, then I'm thinking too much!

Well, I'm not lonely often. But when I am then I start singing or lissening to hard rock music or I space out and daydream becaus then I'm not lonely anymore. Or I start talking to myself, not really myself but my other self.

Thing is about being alone is that it often stereotyped as something bad. What's worse is that the suggestibility of others, wanting to get their approval and naturally feeling the need to be wanted heightens this. In reality being alone is not bad. If anything it's better. You don't have to be worried about other people, their opinions or their problems. You don't have to worry about wanting someone to appreciate you or pay attention to you.

I am a lonely person, but i didn't instantly became this way. After years of being used and manipulated by people I eventually shut the world out, and even though I still hate being alive and I really do want to die, it's much more bearable than with people. Generally people only give a damn about themselves and they will always make assumptions about you to make them feel better, and eventually you have to learn that the only person that cares about you is you. And that is what makes being alone a gift than a curse.

How do I deal with it? Well thanks to the internet every singe TV show and movie is at your finger tips. You can literally spend time discussing similar stuff with people online than in real life, though I'm rarely on social media. Just two forums that I rarely visit and Instagram. And now that I'm studying more time is filled up.

I just think to myself that nothing will change if I worry about it. Accepting the way things are helps a ton. This day in age loneliness is common, with all the tech gadgets we have; it pushes us away. I just remind myself I only have a short life and I can do whatever I want, consequence or not. Conquer that state of mind.

Personally, I become consumed by the internet, so I'm not really aware, Internet's a great distraction until you realise you just spent a whole day in one place staring at nothing

It's not an issue for me, I'm just really busy doing nothing :D

("Nothing" normally meaning watching YouTube, talking to online friends, and gaming)

Edited by @lpha

• 1 month later...

I'm alone in real life quite often, so I tend to find all kinds of ways to cope with loneliness. Maybe one of the weirdest is to form personalities to my plushies and have conversations with them. Even though it does indeed sound weird like that, it's been a coping mechanism of mine for quite long and it really helps. 

And also internet. It's a great way to ignore all the loneliness I have.  :D