Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you cope with loneliness?

SilyGeny

I try my best to distract myself. Usually by listening to really loud music. Or sometimes I listen to sad music to get myself more upset at the fact. Pushing me right through to the end where I accept that I am lonely. Then I wait until it hits again later on. Rinse and repeat.

People online help by talking with me, but I never like to let people worry about me. It just doesn't feel right.

• 2 months later...

Find an activity to do; wither house work, yard work, wikia work, etc. Of course loneliness still hits sometimes. May have to get a pet dog or something to hug....

I don't know. I do get lonely, I usually have my special person close to me, but sometimes people get busy, jobs and such, so I am left alone.

And well, I dunno man. I play games sometimes but that only gets you so far. 

I usually just make videos, I usually make my videos in bad moods.

To be honest I'm almost never lonely because I'm almost never alone. If I am feeling lonely, I'll lose myself in doing something artistic. That usually carries me away to the point I don't even think of who or where I am. Art is a great escape.  :grin:

Whenever I feel lonely (whoops that's like 24/7 LUL) I just try to make the bad thoughts drift away by listening to some music or reading fan fics. I love MLP mainly, cause I can become a part of something more than our ordinary lives are. I feel that the world inside our imagination is the one worth living for. I've been so empty before. But besides getting involved in stories from books I also play video games where I can do something competitive. If you feel like being then go ahead and try to draw something or write some poetry. I always write poems when I'm super depressed and it really help make the sadness go away.

It helps when you've got a few good games, tasty food, a tablet to draw online, an ipod, and an unofficial fanmade project that me and my friend are still making

Edited by IsraelYabuki

Sometimes music.

Sometimes tears.

Sometimes reading.

Sometimes sitting and longing to be noticed, yet too afraid of being rejected to speak up.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough people.

I just slap on my headphones and blast music while doing my hobby.

I don't.. If I have to, I curl into a ball and cry till I'm numb.

as depressing as it sounds i do the same thing. i curl into bed, hold my stuffies Crystal and Tony and cry until i'm dizzy and numb and just a pile of sadness. It makes me feel a lot better. Sometimes you just need a good cry.

These are my stuffies, 

Left: Crystal, got her the day i was born from the hospital gift shop

Right: Tony, got him on my 5th birthday

post-39180-0-02599600-1470753847_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Welp the title says it all.

What makes you forget you're lonely? And how do you deal with being lonely?

Ok, I just found this thread. And I can't help wondering what made you write it? There are so many threads with questions asking "How do you...", and people just answer, seemingly forgetting the person starting the thread and the fact that there might be a good reason they wrote it in the first place, the reason not always being taking part of other people's introspection.

So I'm wondering, did you just want inspiration and advice from other forumists? That's fine, of course. On the other hand, if you'd like to tell us more, that's fine too, and I'm sure people will treat you kindly. So, were you lonely when you started the thread? Were you lonely, generally, or lonely for a certain reason or missing a certain person? Did you find anyone to talk to? And has anything changed since then? I realize these questions may feel intruding, and they're not meant to be, and feel free to ignore them. Just wanted to give you the chance to share.

as depressing as it sounds i do the same thing. i curl into bed, hold my stuffies Crystal and Tony and cry until i'm dizzy and numb and just a pile of sadness. It makes me feel a lot better. Sometimes you just need a good cry.

These are my stuffies, 

Left: Crystal, got her the day i was born from the hospital gift shop

Right: Tony, got him on my 5th birthday

attachicon.gifPhoto on 8-9-16 at 10.43 AM.jpg

Those are beautiful stuffies! And some of the best friends anyone could wish for. I love my plushies and have kept them from my earliest childhood. There is simply nothing better!  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, there isn't much you can do, because this feeling of loneliness will come back/stay if you merely distract yourself from it. I distract myself with music, games or series, but I lose motivation for things so quickly that it barely helps and brings me back to feeling bored, anxious, depressed and/or lonely. The only thing that will actually help is tackling the main problem. Why exactly do you feel lonely? If you've figured out the actual cause, you can work on that. Maybe meet new people, maybe work on your existing connections with people, maybe even get rid of a few people that aren't good for you. That is for you to decide. Best of luck with that :3

I honestly don't think I've ever felt real loneliness. Yeah, I felt a bit lonely as a kid but since then, I have not had a time where I seek out other people. Unless someone approaches me, I am unlikely to approach them. 

• 3 years later...

I either turn to video games or browsing the internet, or I try to hang around other people I know really well. But to be honest no matter how much I play video games, browse the internet, or talk and hang around with other people, my loneliness never goes away - it actually gets more intense after I do those things, so I really can't find an effective way to cope with loneliness.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't ever really feel much of a problem with loneliness. I mean not even considering the relationship I'm in, I don't really have issues with it at all. :huh: I cope pretty effectively with it by just actively using the internet and occupying my time with stuff like video games.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

I have struggled with loneliness all of my life. I have always had a hard time socializing with others because I not only like different things than most people, but I am different. The hardest period of loneliness in my life was probably between the ages of 16-18. It contributed greatly to the depression I was going through. I tried reaching out to other people all of the time, but no matter how much I would reach out and show love to them, they would never reach back out to me. Sure they might be cordial, but never genuinely friendly. I think this is partly due to the culture that teenagers are growing up with in America. I always hated being pushed out of circles and ostracized for being who I was. I would cry myself to sleep and kept asking God for a real friend, just one. I thought I got some at one point. But they didn't reach out to me when I moved away and that hurt. But I will say that I made some good friends when I went to Bronycon 2019, and that was one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in my life. The whole thing, especially closing ceremonies made me feel that there were others who stood together in something, and that was indescribable. I still sometimes struggle with it, but it has gotten better since then.
What did I try to do before when I didn't have any real friends? Mostly just distracted myself with all sorts of hobbies and interests. I got obsesse with nature and wildlife, especially birds. I did birdwatching and nature walks. I got into watching animated movies and loved them, then into fandoms. I also got into fishkeeping, and a little bit of photography. I also listened to a lot of music, especially with honest lyrics about real life issues. There was something very liberating in that, not denying what I was going through but addressing it and being honest with myself. That has stuck with me until this very day. I also got into headphones and became an audiophile (a great way to lose your money quickly :D). One of biggest things though was putting more effort into my tennis training. When I felt angry and lonely, I would redirect that energy into high intensity focus on the tennis court during training. That continues to hold true.
Now that I have some friends, I usually deal with it by trying to chat with friends, listening to music, tennis, and my other hobbies as well. Not much has changed I guess. Possibly the way I view them. Maybe these things used to be more of an escape from reality for me, but now I pursue them because I grew to love them.
And even more importantly, I never forget that I would rather be alone and be who I am meant to be than change that and be somebody else in order to gain friends. That will always be more satisfying deep down.

I often have feelings of loneliness due to not having any real friends besides the ones I know from long distance. The city I live in sucks and I don’t fit in with everyone else around me. I often just turn to music and other things that keep me occupied, especially if it just involves cruising around in my truck or working on it. My truck is always there for me. ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

I often have feelings of loneliness due to not having any real friends besides the ones I know from long distance. The city I live in sucks and I don’t fit in with everyone else around me. I often just turn to music and other things that keep me occupied, especially if it just involves cruising around in my truck or working on it. My truck is always there for me. ;)

Still pretty much this.