Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What is your favorite all time movie?

countryman

Have you read the book? I read it recently when caught up with Mets World Series fever, but didn't see the movie. If so, are they very similar?

Yes I have! They're pretty similar, the movie dramatized certain aspects of the book but did so very well.

• Brohoof 1

Lion King. It's been my favorite movie ever since I was little, and it remains in that spot to this day. Honorable mention goes to Jurassic Park, which in my opinion still has the best monster effects of any movie I've seen.

• Brohoof 1

STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE

I wouldn't consider one of the best movies of all-time, but it's certainly my favorite.  I saw it eleven times in the theater on it's initial run and caught it twice with the 3D re-release.  It was my first VHS I ever owned and I watched it nearly daily until I got my hand on the DVD and watched it whenever I had access to my uncle's DVD player.  Ever since I bout the saga Blu-ray set, I've watched The Phantom Menace more times than any other movie I own.I watched the Duel of the Fates music video whenever it was on MTV that I ended losing count.  I dressed up as Darth Maul for Halloween and even had the electronic double-bladed lightsaber which I played and shared with my friends for our lightsaber duels.  To this day, Qui-Gon Jinn is still my favorite Star Wars character.  Speaking of characters, I even like Jar Jar Binks.  No movie matches the nostalgia I have for this movie and I think it's highly underrated.

• Brohoof 1

Either The Perks of Being a Wallflower because of how it actually made me connect with the character and care about him, or Idi i smotrie (Come and See) because of how disturbing it was; I actually felt fear while watching it.

• 4 years later...

As everyone probably know this already....Harry Potter (1-8)/Fantastic beasts (1-2).  Yep nothing can beat it. On the other hand, Joker (2019), Ocean eleven, and Star Wars :revenge of the Sith would be my extra all time favorite movies. 

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

It came out in 1988; I was 11. 

That movie, with it's prime actors (physical and voice) and incredible blending techniques (which still stand well today) made my little mind take hold of a fever I had never really known before... fillies and gentlecolts, it was what I would officially say was my first 'fandom', if you will.  When I saw it for the first time, I was sitting in a theater with my attention-impaired little brain completely riveted to the screen. 

I soaked in every single, noir-dripping, classic star voice-actor-laden moment; I have always been fairly decent at placing certain actor's voiceworks by ear... though, admittedly I have to look up the actual NAME most of the time.  But I can pick out a particular voice and say, 'hey... I know that one...', and trace it back a number of steps until I reach whatever it reminds me of.  Particularly, I grew up with a few radio comedies like The Stan Freberg Show(on vinyl; cripes, I wasn't there for the original recordings!) and a LOT of Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera cartoon series' inclusion in my daily TV regimen... say, what, about six to ten hours a day, because 80's kid?  It made sense at the time, anyway - don't interrupt me, thoughts - but it was hearing stuff from Mel Blanc, combined with the vocal performance of Charles Fleischer (Roger, Benny The Cab) was instantly what I wanted to have, close to my little soul as anything could get without becoming blasphemous.

I had it ALL, because my Mom was a kind woman; four T - shirts, at least two dozen figures and collectible-thingies, a Roger Rabbit stuffed doll (that I carried everywhere with me for two years), three book adaptations (one being the original, Who Censored Roger Rabbit?... a REAL eye-opener as to how Disney changed the script for better consumption, and ironically one of the times I actually believe changing something in translation isn't always a bad idea, though it might make for a different kind of movie today...), seven books on 'Behind The Scenes' style insider info (like, the infamous removed Pig Head scene, which was sometimes reinserted in the later releases) and a full, uncut version of the entire movie on audio cassette (which I wore through three copies of) - which is why, to this day, I can still start at nearly any line in the movie and recite it, word for word, until the end of the friggin' movie.

I call it one of my 'Stupid Human Tricks', after the skit they used to have on David Letterman when he was doing his better late night (yes, I am old enough to remember Johnny Carson on television - have a chuckle and move on).

But the movie itself?  Sixteen times in the theater; six VHS copies, two original LaserDisc copies, five copies on DVD are the grand total of the copies I have owned throughout my lifetime, - which today, I no longer have any of... oh!  Except for the current one I still own today, on Blu-Ray.  Not complaining, mind you; just giving an idea of how much I wanted this movie accessible to me as time progressed - I never exactly owned all of these at the same time.

But that's... more than I had ever owned for any one thing I had ever experienced, excluding my Star Wars and G.I. Joe figures, because those are different - dammit, thoughts!  But those were more like instruments of play to me; the plot and style of Roger Rabbit caught me like a slap to the face, and I was even the kid who put posters on his walls; no less than five of them were Roger or Jessica or some other subject or quote from the movie, and had a few weird but funny fanfics written in spiral notebooks about how Roger and I would save the world, the universe, and even the Rebel Alliance against the mighty Darth Doom (don't ask; I won't ever tell).

To this day, I still love that movie... and it will always hold a place in my heart, because I sometimes feel like I did as a young kid; I'm still a toon, somewhere buried under all the layers of age and Life that have coated me in my years on the dirtball.  And you know what they say:  "Toons; gets 'em every time."

• Brohoof 1

I think I may have to divide this one up a bit, seeing as putting just one movie will not cut it.

Favorite Western Animation: Finding Nemo, without a doubt (yes even considering the Toy Story films). That film really made such a splashing impression on my young, 6 year old mind when I first saw it (not funny didn't laugh) that it really cannot be properly summed up in words. Heck, I have a Finding Nemo blanket.

Favorite Comedy: The Big Lebowski. This film is not only a great piece of work and to this day remains easily my favorite film from the Cohen brothers, but it's also the first film I ever saw with my boyfriend. :catface: But this film, this film is comedic noir genius with great performances all around, especially from Jeff Bridges and John Goodman.

Favorite Crime Drama: Goodfellas. What is there to be said about this timeless classic? Scorsese really does a great job here in humanizing the for the most part seemingly inhuman mobsters. It also has a good story that, although I couldn't connect to (which shouldn't matter for this type of film honestly), I could easily see the greatness in. Also have to mention A Clockwork Orange.

Favorite Thriller: Taxi Driver. This is not just a great film. It's a once in several decades film that I don't think will be matched for a long time or possibly even ever. Even with Joker which I really liked. This film is almost perfect, and I mean it. I can't think of any single meaningful flaw that is even worth an iota of consideration. A masterpiece if there ever was one.

Favorite Sci-Fi: Jurassic Park. I still think the book is better, but does that really say much? I mean after all the book is the best thing ever put to paper in my opinion. But the film doesn't do much worse than that, and the book is near perfection. All I need to say, is "Holy f***ing, $#!+, it's a f***ing DINOSAUR!"

Favorite Horror: The Shining, without a doubt (somewhat unfortunately). I don't mean somewhat unfortunately as in this film is bad though. It's exactly everything I would personally want from a horror film. But there have been so few to even come close to this exemplary film it's kind of sad honestly.

Favorite Superhero Film: The Dark Knight. No superhero movie is even remotely close to the 2nd film of the Dark Knight Trilogy (a small part of that is because most of them are downright terrible IMHO...). The writing is nearly perfect, Heath Ledger's Joker was absolutely amazing, and the subject matter the film tackles is quite cerebral.

Favorite Anime Film: Spirited Away. This movie is just absolutely amazing in a lot of ways. It has a great story, memorable and well-written characters, a befittingly disturbing yet beautiful animation style, and it's also nostalgic to me in its own way. I have to also mention My Neighbor Totoro on this one.

Edited by Angel_Dust
  • Brohoof 1