Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Another OC Drawing

Meson Bolt

So yeah... this is something that I came up with when I was bored. Hope you guys like it.

I've been waiting for a critique on my art style for quite a bit, so hopefully one of you awesome-faced people out there can lend me a hand.

Stay frosty!

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 14

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

its amazing, i would have replied if i saw it, i just joined last night.. wish i could get art like this of Elly someday :3 i love it ^^ 

While I'm not actually able to work on them now, I do take requests on my DeviantART page. I'd need a reference drawing though.

Edited by Meson Bolt

While I'm not actually able to work on them now, I do take requests on my DeviantART page. I'd need a reference drawing though.

ill friend you and talk later :3 gotta go out for now, amazing work none the less, kinda envy you <3

I've been waiting for a critique on my art style for quite a bit

"Art style", You use bases and copied the shows style.

I feel odd that nobody's replied to this yet, but I've got a lot of brohoofs on it...

Yeah, I hate it too when people show appreaciation for my art by taking time to look at it and even notify me about it...

"Art style", You use bases and copied the shows style.

Yeah, I hate it too when people show appreaciation for my art by taking time to look at it and even notify me about it...

Do you just go about being negative all the time? I appreciate your opinion, but you could at least make an attempt to be less rude.

@@Meson Bolt,

Sorry if I came of too rude, but it's just a style of art I can't appreciate. And I spend everyday drawing, and I share, and do I get attention? Hell no. Do I ask for it? I share what I draw, but if no one's interested I guess I'll have to try harder the next time.

• Brohoof 1

Nice work, your vectoring is neat and tidy, proportions are good, but back ground shading is done the wrong way around, When shading backgrounds colors should be bolder / more saturated and darker in the foreground, and becoming lighter / less saturated as they recede into the distance

But other than that I like it. keep up the good work :love:

@@Meson Bolt,

Sorry if I came of too rude, but it's just a style of art I can't appreciate. And I spend everyday drawing, and I share, and do I get attention? Hell no. Do I ask for it? I share what I draw, but if no one's interested I guess I'll have to try harder the next time.

Maybe I did come off as a bit overbearing, and I'm sorry for that. I'm extremely zealous about almost everything I try my hand at.

Look, I'm a digital artist hobbyist. I don't pretend to be good at it, I do what I do, and all I want to know is whether or not people find my stuff worthwhile. If you don't that's cool, and I'm chill with it. All I ask is that everyone present their opinions in reasonable, respectful manners.

• 1 month later...

Damn! That's one bad ass OC! She kind of reminds me of Little Pip. :P

Uh... I don't think she's like Littlepip? I couldn't say for sure, because I've never... actually... finished reading... Fallout Equestria...

Okay, who shrunk me?

That looks awesome! Is she a filly? She looks young to me... but she is absolutely adorable! Amazing job! Post more pics of her that you draw!!

She's actually a full-grown pony. Still cute, I guess? I feel that I nailed the character design. Of course, I almost always feel that I nailed my characters' design, but still...

Yeah, I've had her design in mind for a LAWNG time. Back in 2014 when I first mentioned her in a different book, she was just supposed to be somepony who worked with Meson and Spits (two of my three "main" OC's). Then I had this one scene where she basically told Spits to be as flirty as she was, and that's where her personality sprang from, and then I started thinking of a design, and... yeah.

I have a horribly sloppy process of making a character, but I always am really happy with the results.

Ok, biggest bit of feedback I would say is be careful with dark backgrounds since you have so much darker colours in the pony.  I do like the orange highlight but I feel like that orange highlight can be used to break up her mane from the background, but as it stands now it's very difficult to see her silhouette, along with the wrench in her hoofs and the gloves.

The shape is difficult to see, simply because of it's positioning and background.  It seems like you are trying to do an underground ruin backdrop but if you're going to do that, use colder colours instead of just darkening it, as it will help break things up to allow the character to be showcased more. 

That being said, I do think this is one of the stronger 'dark pallet' ponies I've seen.  I enjoy the orange highlight, even if I feel like it could be more pronounced or placed differently to help break things up a bit.  It's definitely show-accurate (Though I have to ask if this is a Base design, because it feels like it is), which is a style I struggle with, so congratulations on that.

One last thing, I would make the line-art around the orange highlights are darker orange rather than black, because as it stands the orange comes across as a headband rather than her mane, which I don't think is the idea you were going for.  Could be wrong on this, but I think it warrants some experimentation :D

• 2 weeks later...

@@Meson Bolt,

I have to be ask and be critical here. This looks like you have used a base for sure, now there is nothing wrong with that I get it, but I have to ask, did you draw the lines yourself, if in which case great job (that includes using an image as a reference by the way, I.E looking at something to get a general idea) or did you take a pre existing base and just add detail or trace over the lines of a pre existing base?  Before I can critique properly, need that answered.

Actually looking on your DA myself and finding 

Um, a lot of different softwares actually. I made and colored design with MS Paint, edited it with Pixlr and Picmonkey, and traced over the design in a Linux software called GM8

You say that you traced over, with curves, a pre existing base which you give no credit for, now, in my opinion, some may disagree, if you had used the image for reference, and drew the lines from scratch it would be a different story. But tracing over the lines of a base and posting it as ''original art'' is like you downloading my avatar, tracing it exactly detail for detail, just colour it in and claim it is yours. Sorry, but for me that kind of thing doesn't float and I think it was what  @@Wicked Funky, was talking about.

http://imgur.com/VXZa0ck

You also didn't even create the background, so can I ask what you actually did, traced something, coloured it and stuck it on a premade background? You give credit for the background on DA but not on here. Which seems to me like an attempt to claim it is original art or mislead the readers. 

The colouring actually looks decent in all fairness but it seems like to me, as a fellow artist you are misleading, consciously or not, viewers of this post and taking credit where it is undue 

• Brohoof 2

I have to be ask and be critical here. This looks like you have used a base for sure, now there is nothing wrong with that I get it, but I have to ask, did you draw the lines yourself, if in which case great job (that includes using an image as a reference by the way, I.E looking at something to get a general idea) or did you take a pre existing base and just add detail or trace over the lines of a pre existing base?  Before I can critique properly, need that answered.

...I don't think I've actually made it clear how I make these images, and I apologize for any confusion. So here's the process, just in case you really want to know:

Using the device that I'm currently using to type this message (the only device I have that can access the Internet), I found an image to use as a reference. In MS Paint on my "drawing computer", I make a base similar to the original, though I don't actually trace it pixel-for-pixel since I'm not allowed to download images from this device to my "drawing computer". I then create the general design and color palette on GM8 (my "drawing computer" supports both Linux and Windows), then transfer the file to my chromebook, where I use Pixlr and Picmonkey to get the final result.

So while I am using a base as a reference guide, I'm not actually tracing over anyone's original work like you may be thinking. I guess I just referenced it so accurately that it looks like a trace-over, but I don't know whether or not that deserves a credit.

As for the background, I credited Vector-Brony on my DeviantART page, where this was originally posted.

Let me be very clear about one thing: I am not an artist. I am not trying to pretend to be one, and I am not trying to trick anyone into thinking I am one. I am a writer who creates images to help me write.

If I've offended or discomforted anyone, I am sincerely sorry.

@@Meson Bolt

Let me start this by saying, I am not demanding or telling you to do anything, I am displaying my frustration as an artists who can spend up to 14 hours on a piece from scratch. You do not have to do what I say obviously and this isn't a personal attack. You asked for critique and you are getting it.

Um, a lot of different softwares actually. I made and colored design with MS Paint, edited it with Pixlr and Picmonkey,  and traced over the design in a Linux software called GM8

That is what it says on your DA page. Either it is badly worded or misunderstood. Did you trace over the design of the base, or did you just look at it and use it as a reference image, and also, from my knowledge, even if you use an image for reference and it is pretty much identical, in general it is considered generous, to credit them. Either way, you did not come up with the design, therefore it is not original art.

On your DA page as well, you have art that is an exact copy of prexisting pictures, even if you were skilled enough to copy every single detail then it is still not your art. 

http://r-m-h.deviantart.com/art/Aero-569434583

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/unisonleague/images/a/aa/Gear-Aero_Render.png/revision/latest?cb=20150713013339%20%20Every

Myself when I use images for reference, I will always state I have done so, so people know it isn't 100% original. That way it is such a simple way to cover your back. 

When you use anyone background that isn't your own you full well know that you have to credit it everywhere you use it, people have commented on your background here and you have acted like it is your own when it is clearly not. Not many people are going to look back through your DA, find the same picture, click it and see the credit. It's like me using a background that isn't mine, giving credit on DA and then posting it on 100 different forums with no credit, so people think it is my own, that is plaigarism.

Let me be very clear about one thing: I am not an artist. I am not trying to pretend to be one, and I am not trying to trick anyone into thinking I am one. I am a writer who creates images to help me write.  

On this topic, without any credit, posing as original art, I think you are doing what your claiming not to do. You use words in your beginning statement like ''my art style'' pointing to the fact that it is original art, when your art style is literally tracing over bases, using backgrounds you did not create or credit and in fact all you area doing is adding details, and colouring. 

I want to say again this is not a personal attack, it is critique and questioning or not your artwork is as legitimate as you say it is. Also considering the fact you just deleted all your deviations because of me questioning your work ethic makes me think that something was going on for sure. 

• Brohoof 2

I want to say again this is not a personal attack, it is critique and questioning or not your artwork is as legitimate as you say it is. Also considering the fact you just deleted all your deviations because of me questioning your work ethic makes me think that something was going on for sure. 

First off, I take everything personally. People who say "don't take it personally" are dumb, because they obviously haven't felt anything like what I'm going through, and they're just being condescending.

As for the work ethic itself, I stand on my claim that I do not trace over bases. Perhaps you got the wrong idea from my comment, which I agree was poorly-worded, but as long as I have been on dA, nobody's original artwork has touched any of my final images and not been credited. I have used several images as references, and perhaps I have copied them too closely, but I did not trace anything.

And finally, as to why I renounced all of my artwork from my dA page. While I still hold to my claim, since the computer I create the images on has fallen into disrepair, any proof I have to support my claim has been destroyed. Anyone who believes I am not an art thief must do so based on my word alone, and you obviously doubt my word. Since I refuse to lie and admit guilt, and since I am not possible to prove my innocence, I can do nothing other than remove the offensive images and revoke my status of artist.

Again, if I have caused you inconvenience or discomfort, I am sincerely sorry, but I have no way to prove my innocence, and I cannot lie.

First off, I take everything personally. People who say "don't take it personally" are dumb, because they obviously haven't felt anything like what I'm going through, and they're just being condescending.

As for the work ethic itself, I stand on my claim that I do not trace over bases. Perhaps you got the wrong idea from my comment, which I agree was poorly-worded, but as long as I have been on dA, nobody's original artwork has touched any of my final images and not been credited. I have used several images as references, and perhaps I have copied them too closely, but I did not trace anything.

And finally, as to why I renounced all of my artwork from my dA page. While I still hold to my claim, since the computer I create the images on has fallen into disrepair, any proof I have to support my claim has been destroyed. Anyone who believes I am not an art thief must do so based on my word alone, and you obviously doubt my word. Since I refuse to lie and admit guilt, and since I am not possible to prove my innocence, I can do nothing other than remove the offensive images and revoke my status of artist.

Again, if I have caused you inconvenience or discomfort, I am sincerely sorry, but I have no way to prove my innocence, and I cannot lie.

That is not dumb at all to say don't take it personally because you asked for critique and received an honest evaluation. 

You keep misunderstanding, it doesn't matter if you credit on DA, you should credit everywhere you post, in this post you made on THIS forum you did not state in anyway the parts of the art you did not create yourself. Also when you copy someones image to the point on the image I linked, you are making a replica and is still not original art, especially when you don't post a link to the original. I can't copy the Mona Lisa line for line and say I created it.

So, you have absolutely no proof to back up your claims when people have asked you if your work is not copying, even in that case, if the art was original and legitimate you would surely care in no way about people saying other wise, surely it is much better to tell them that you no longer have the hardware, however that is odd considering the time gap between images, not even one hard copy remains of the MS paint file etc, you said you have multiple tools to edit them, do you have no stages saved, showing partially created / coloured images? 

The way you are reacting is of someone who has been caught out.and all I was saying to start with was correctly credit the people whos art you are using on every platform you place it on and say when you have used images for references and that it is a good idea, especially when the art is an exact replica to says who owns the original image. Rather than provide any evidence you have decided to throw your toys out of the pram at the sign of any sort of harsh critique or enquiry which further reinforces the belief with anyone that you were caught red handed.

The way things always work, and that I believe in is innocent until proven guilty. I have asked you to explain the replica images on your DA, asked you to explain the lack of crediting and the way you make the images. You didn't have to answer, you could have said you would prefer not to speak about it and that would be the end, instead you have gone on trying to gain sympathy and then having a fit and deleted your DA.

If you are not willing to listen to negative / constructive critique then why ask for critique at all.

@@Meson Bolt,

I have said so many times it is not personal, it is not an attack, just an artist asking where the image sources came from, why you are not giving credit, why are you are claiming replicas / copies as originals. Simple as that my friend, but I won't comment any more as this is going horribly off topic. In terms of not believing you with evidence then I would just be a moron in that case, want to see what I would give if someone asked me for evidence of my art.

http://imgur.com/7b6MuSk

That is concrete proof and if you provided the same amount of evidence no one could argue with it. I am more than happy to believe that you lost the files, PC crashes and file loss happen, that's fine, but you immediately went on the defensive and made the situation so much worse than it had to be.

My intention wasn't to do any of what you listed and I think you are reacting in an extremely over exaggerated way over quite simple questions.  

@@Meson Bolt,

I have said so many times it is not personal, it is not an attack, just an artist asking where the image sources came from, why you are not giving credit, why are you are claiming replicas / copies as originals. Simple as that my friend, but I won't comment any more as this is going horribly off topic. In terms of not believing you with evidence then I would just be a moron in that case, want to see what I would give if someone asked me for evidence of my art.

That is concrete proof and if you provided the same amount of evidence no one could argue with it. I am more than happy to believe that you lost the files, PC crashes and file loss happen, that's fine, but you immediately went on the defensive and made the situation so much worse than it had to be.

My intention wasn't to do any of what you listed and I think you are reacting in an extremely over exaggerated way over quite simple questions.  

I suppose I could've reacted with a cooler head, but if you know anything about me you know that I'm very, very mentally unstable. I respect your questioning, but the fact of the matter is my claim is simply true.

If proof is what you're after, then you have my word that I'll do my best to get my old PC working again so I can give you some. Don't hold your breath though, it's nigh-impossible to find components for a 2003 model nowadays.

However, I doubt you realize the potential repercussions you have caused me. To me, this isn't a simple critique of art style, but an attack on my reputation, which is possibly why I went on the defensive so quickly. I mean, if you had someone tell you that "everything you've done is copied", you'd probably try to defend as well. I hope you can understand this, and I apologize for the entire situation.

Unfortunately, to prevent such confusions as this one, my dA images will remain taken down, at least until this entire thing blows over.

I hope we are still friends, and I am sorry for over-reacting.