Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Clarity's novice art

Clarity

Heya, forumers!

For Christmas I received an Intuos tablet—something I've wanted for quite a while—and in the past two days I've been having a lot of fun with it, despite my ineptitude for digital art and art in general. So far, digital art is something I'm enjoying quite a lot, and hopefully I will improve as I continue practicing. I created this art thread in order to ask for advice and critiques, so if you spot anything off with my art, feel free to point it out!  :ph34r:

The very first thing I drew was, of course, my favorite pony—Sunset Shimmer.  :sunshower:

d0lf2lj.png

I absolutely love her cocky little smirk. More people should immortalize it.

For a first attempt, I'm actually quite proud of it. Obviously there're some issues with consistency—some parts of the linework are bolder than others, for example—and her cutie mark was the death of me, but I think I did well for my first ever tablet drawing. Unfortunately I had to go with solid colors since I'm a complete novice at shading, and I'm certain that if I attempted to do so I would have probably screwed it up.  :please:

The next piece I only just barely finished at the time I'm writing this—it's a (late) birthday gift for a friend of mine. 

fruZNv3.png

Eternal Rainbow~

There's a lot of issues with this one—notably the badly drawn background and my poor handwriting  ^_^ . I also accidentally made Rainbow Dash's cutie mark way too big, and the bolt looks kind of ridiculous, but all in all it could've been worse. I like the way her rainbow colors meld together. 

So far my art style has been basically clean(ish) lineart, then paint bucket everything. I'm not sure if that's the kind of art style I want to establish, though. I'm looking for something a bit more original, and hopefully more shady and colorful. But I'm new to the digital art biz, so it might take a while before I find what I'm looking for.

Anyway, critiques are welcome! I hope your eyes didn't burn out from all my terrible art.  ;)

• Brohoof 8

Considering your recent insertion into the world of digital, this is extremely commendable.

Great job, and keep it up!

EDIT: I'll try to add critiques or advice once I get my PC back. Writing long paragraphs from a tablet is quite irking.

Edited by Shadow Beam
  • Brohoof 1

Well, unfortunately it doesn't seem as though many people want to give me any pointers.  :sunny:  I understand that my art is incredibly mediocre, but the only way I can improve is to receive advice.

Anyway, I have actually made a third piece in order to practice coloring and shading. Voila!

MwuIAyK.png

This took a while—three days, to be exact. Shading is a very new concept to me and I mostly just searched up other pony artworks and took pointers from them, but ultimately I was unable to successfully emulate the degree of depth that I preferred. Still, A+ for effort, right?  :please:

• Brohoof 4

dis art sux stop tryin nerd

Like I said, I'm actually pretty jealous, both because you have a tablet and because you're learning at an alarming speed, having seen your latest piece. I can't wait to see what you produce in the future.

You ought to be proud of yourself.

ew was I BEING SINCERE JUST NOW?????!!!

• Brohoof 2

All I can give advice about is this: pace yourself. Don't try to rush things with drawing. If you do, you might get mad at yourself for not improving at ultra speeds. Take a break every once in a while, and go back to drawing when you feel really ready for it, not if you just feel that you HAVE to, but instead that you WANT to.

also we need an Octavia pic now XD

JK, JK.

• Brohoof 2

dis art sux stop tryin nerd

Like I said, I'm actually pretty jealous, both because you have a tablet and because you're learning at an alarming speed, having seen your latest piece. I can't wait to see what you produce in the future.

You ought to be proud of yourself.

ew was I BEING SINCERE JUST NOW?????!!!

WTF THANKS :@

Your potential for this is high, having seen your latest pieces. Using a tablet is basically drawing with pencil on paper, though, so I can't say it improves my skill that much. But it's so funnnnn to uuuuuusee  :D

All I can give advice about is this: pace yourself. Don't try to rush things with drawing. If you do, you might get mad at yourself for not improving at ultra speeds. Take a break every once in a while, and go back to drawing when you feel really ready for it, not if you just feel that you HAVE to, but instead that you WANT to. also we need an Octavia pic now XD JK, JK.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I did try my best to be patient even when it seems as though the drawing was going to turn out to be a failure, and it paid off. Sort of. :please:  As of now this is mostly sort of a hobby instead of an obligation, so I might be okay with taking it easy for now.

As for the Octavia drawing... who knows? She has a great design and it seems like it'd be fun to draw her. :)

• Brohoof 2

Oh my gentle Celestia! These are exquisite! You should give vectoring a try Clarity, but I like the watercolor/ oil-pastel look of Sunset Shimmer! She is such an adorable cutie after all! :sunshower: 

Then again, what would I know? :wat: 

Yeah, I tend to over exaggerate..sorry.. hahaha...XD

35d6sfc.png

• Brohoof 2